About this project
We have made it to $6,703! How much further can we go by Sunday night? Farther up for sure! Join in the fun. It is not too late!
For the last 23 days, it has been our dream here at Wandeling Press to start ONE Kickstarter Project for ONE book, which will in turn generate profits for ANOTHER book, and that book will generate profit for the next book.
It has been a pay-it-forward model, in which the overhead covered by this Kickstarter helps recover costs much more quickly so that we can create new books more quickly.
And as of today, we have passed 100% of our original funding goal of $6,703.
We are so grateful, but we are not stopping yet. Why? Because of our backers!
In the last 23 days, we have watched so much more energy accumulate behind this project than we ever imagined:
- We had arrived at 20% of our funding in the first 12 hours.
- Within the first 48 hours of Wandeling’s public release, we received over a dozen emails from women writers and illustrators interested in partnering with us.
- Friends, and family, and family of our friends and friends of our families have come around to launch us.
- Our alma mater joined in to support us, along with teachers, professors, mentors, and wonderful strangers.
- Even Kickstarter has caught our vision. Yesterday we were named KICKSTARTER'S STAFF PICK in the publishing category.
With all this energy, we have wondered: why not replicate the model more quickly?
If we can continue to raise funds toward the printing set-up costs of the next three books, then Wandeling will be able to move into books two, three, and four more quickly, all which are designed to generate profit for the next round books.
There are two exciting things that make this a real possibility:
- We still have a WHOLE SEVEN DAYS left in our fundraising campaign. That is enough to make a possible world, right?
- The next three books, where Pudge and Buns take on spring, summer, and fall, all already in the drafting stages and include mud pies, kick the can, and edible colors.
So, huzzah! Onward we go!
Let's take this ONE Kickstarter Project and continue to FUND THE START-UP COSTS of FOUR books, which will generate profits for FOUR more books, so that these four will generate funds for four more.
We are excited by the prospect of REPEATING the process more quickly, filling shelves, filling hands, filling imaginations.
When we started this project, we already had planned to produce the first four seasonal books. We had just planned to do them one at a time. NOW our stretch goal multiplies Wandeling’s publication capacity by four.
This week, the hope is that we can work towards covering costs for the first FOUR books, so that we can move on to the queue of NEW pairs of authors and illustrators.
And, oh golly, are we excited about some of the author and artist pairs who have approached us. We cannot wait to get their ideas into print too.
We so value your partnership in this process. What can you do to help us in the next seven days?
- Share our project link with those you know and mention our project as a Kickstarter staff pick in publishing.
- Introduce book-loving and book-writing friends to our website.
- Like us and encourage others to like us on Facebook to keep up with our last week of progress.
- Check out the results of our first contest encouraging collaboration in the creative work among young female writers and artists.
- Ask for Woolies as a Christmas gift for you and your family or PRE-ORDER a copy to your friends and family. Laura is even making a print-out your can use as a stocking stuffer to announce the gift (since it won’t arrive until the real dead of winter, February). How easy is that? Order by November 20. Print. Presto! No wrapping. No rush-it-here-faster shipping.
Ten thousand thank yous for all of the MANY ways you have already spread the news, contributed, encouraged us. We are so thankful for what you have done. How much further shall we wandel on this, our first adventure? How far can we go?
Further in, for sure.
Betsy & Laura
Welcome behind the scenes to the production of Woolies for the Winter.
Grab a cup of cocoa and warm up for a minute.
Woolies for the Winter is the inaugural book publication of Wandeling Press, a collaborative, women's publishing house that specializes in children's literature. We hope Woolies will become the first book in a four-part set of watercolor-illustrated, seasonal, storied poems for children and just the first of many, many delightful stories to grow up into books with our press.
In Woolies for the Winter, you will meet Pudge, the hedgehog, and Buns, the rabbit, in their hurry and scurry to suit up one frigid day and play in the snow. But this is no easy task! This roly-poly and determined hedgehog and his long-eared friend– a (sometimes) exasperated bunny– invite you into the regimen, chaos, and therefore hilarity of getting ready to face the cold. We are creating this 7 x 7 children's board book for little ones ages six months old to six years old and, of course, for all of us who are still six at heart.
While Betsy writes the verse, Laura brings the poems to life with her watercolors of our friends Pudge and Buns. We are delighted to have worked with Sarah Gerber of Twenty Twenty Studios to introduce our project to you by video, and we cannot believe we get to work with the talented Matt Crutchmer as our book designer and typographer.
This kickstarter project, however, is doing more than creating a single book, (though it is certainly doing that). As Wandeling Press's first book, Woolies for the Winter is also preparing the press to launch a merry hoard of future book projects. The more quickly we can recoup the start-up design, production, shipping, and printing costs during this kickstarter project, the more easily we will be able to commission future projects with other collaborative teams of women authors, illustrators, and designers. What begins here with Woolies we hope to see become a full set of four seasonal children's books in 2016 and, from there, an expanding collection of lovely, lively stories.
What are the initial project cost to launch Woolies with Wandeling Press?
Total Cost: $6,703
- Design and Production (including design, fonts, ISBN number, sample books, recordings, and software) : $1,110
- Promotion (including licenses, website, flights, fees) : $1,116
- Printer start-up costs: $3,102
- Shipping the books from our printer to the U.S. (including customs and importation): $1,375
How can you help kickstart our kickstarter?
- Step 1: Hang out for a bit: explore the project and hop over to our website. We are glad you are here. We look forward to getting to know you.
- Step 2: Browse through the rewards. What cozy package would you like best to receive in the mail in the middle of the freezing winter?
- Step 3: Choose that reward package. Books? Prints? Audio download? All three? Go for it.
- Step 4: Share all the bookish fun with your friends and family: the near, the far, and the social-media mediated.
- Step 5: You are done. Hooray! You are now a part of our book project and officially one of the critical contributors to launching our Wandeling's publishing house as well. THANK YOU! Do check back here for updates as we scribble, paint, rhyme, revise, and get the presses up and running.
Remember, Kickstarter is an all-or-nothing crowd-funding platform, which means that if we don't raise the full $6,703.00 by December 20, we will not receive any of your funds because you will not be charged, and you won't receive any rewards either. Oh dear!
"So, tell me again. What are these rewards you speak of?"
We are glad you asked. You can review the reward packages below and then choose the sponsor level that corresponds to that reward on the side panel. If we successfully fund our project by December 20, it won't be long before we are mailing you your package!
How do we view stories?
We seek to provide quality children’s books that draw readers young and old together and enrich the whole person by tickling the ear, engaging the eye, satisfying the imagination, and by expanding the soul with laughter, because we believe that...
- detailed, inviting visuals feed imaginations,
- cadence and verse bolster language acquisition,
- order habituates and inclines the soul to beauty (yeah, we are really old-school on that one),
- simple story forms can convey complex narratives and themes,
- skillful models encourage imitation,
- reading aloud fosters community.
Our Narrative, Poetic, and Aesthetic Method
At every level, our word and art craft seeks to enrich the reader and listener.
- examines a sequenced task,
- provides a fresh encounter with a commonplace experience,
- appreciates the complexity of the seemingly simple,
- juxtaposes and joins cadence and chaos,
- delights in the hilarity of the routine.
OUR VERSE AND ILLUSTRATIONS
- encourage the eyes to give attention to details,
- expose the ear to simple poetic meter and form in lively, rhymed, trimeter verse,
- train aural and visual memory, particularly in frequent re-reading,
- offer practice in enunciation, pronunciation, and oral delivery,
- encourage the reader and listener to imitate and engage with the images,
- foster discussions on the connections between the logic of the text and images.
Our book as a whole offers amusing, participatory entertainment as an alternative to electronic entertainment.
Risks and challenges
Distance: Betsy lives in Minneapolis. Laura lives in Cincinnati. 750 miles separate them. Collaborating in person means driving 13 hours one-way with a one year old in the back seat...or braving flights with that one year old. They have done both already, and the project is just beginning. That can be daunting. And then our books will be traveling thousands of miles to us and then to you. This is even more daunting.
Demands: Betsy and Laura spend a great portion of their waking hours and some of their would-be sleeping hours traipsing after little ones. Both juggle work of their own, as do all the friends and amazing creatives helping us.
Discovery: And then there is the learning curve. Betsy has a degree in English, Spanish, and religion, Laura studied American Studies and the fine arts. The printing industry is new to us. We thank you for your patience as we practice learning 100 things at once.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)