Phant: the only hair accessory organizer available on the market! Using three hooks and a magnet it holds your entire hairdrobe Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on September 11, 2014.
About this project
The initial idea to use a three-hook system with a larger middle hook for headbands and a magnet for bobby pins consisted of bending wire into a shape that conjured images of an elephant’s head, hence the name “Phant”. After failing to design an adequate wire prototype with a hand-operated wire bender and wire from the local hardware store (prototype v1), 3D printing quickly resolved the issue. The gray Phant prototype v2’s middle hook extended out too far as you can see on the left. Phant prototype v3 is less awkward and the black color makes it easier to blend in with most bathroom decor. The final version shipped to customers will have the hooks bent down at an approximate 90° angle so it’s easier to use. At approximately six inches tall and four inches wide, the Phant will be shipped with double-sided tape allowing it to easily adhere to the wall, inside of the cabinet, on a mirror, at your vanity or even next to your bed.
The Phant mini is 40% smaller than the original and can be conveniently used at the office, in a gym locker or in the car.
The original and mini Phants are the basis of the Phant System which will be expanded to include the following product ideas:
• Add basket to magnetic component for bobby pins and barrettes
• Add over-door hook to hang in lieu of adhering (great for rentals)
• Design a children’s line to include a nightlight character on top (magnet area) (i.e.- flower, elephant, frog) that can be hung in the room/nursery.
• Add suction-cup to mini model and make the magnet removable to easily travel with and pick up bobby pins from small crevices
• Add a five-inch oval mirror for students to hang in lockers
• Add a hairstyling utensil caddy to organize all hair-related items in one place
• Create model out of commercially-bent thick steel wire to offer upgraded décor model
From the get go, we will be offering Phant in black or white. We would like to offer more colors, so we encourage you to tell us what colors you would like to see. When we hit the stretch goals, we will pick the top two colors and offer them as well. So let us know, we want to make you happy!
While these 3D printed prototypes brought vision to reality, the quality is not the best. The most cost effective and efficient method of manufacturing will be via injection-mold technology, constituting the majority of the initial start-up cost. The Phant will be manufactured in the United States at Proto-Labs, a plant based in Minnesota. Phant, LLC is a woman and service member-owned company.
What’s in it for you?
- Phant will revolutionize the way you handle hair accessory clutter! If a person in your life has long hair, you know exactly what we’re talking about!
- The Phant System will be great for home, the office, your gym locker, college dorm and the car!
- We want you to tell us what colors you want, please provide us your feedback When the Kickstarter is funded (*fingers crossed*) we will have the products manufactured and shipped in time for Christmas.
- All backers (no matter what the value of your contribution) will be listed by name on our website
- If we beat our goal (*fingers double-crossed*) we will offer the most popularly requested colors
Risks and challenges
The risk of production delay is limited. Our manufacturer guarantees a 15-day delivery so the likelihood of a delay is extremely improbable. With our guaranteed delivery of two months following funding of the KickStarter, even if our current manufacturer went under we could find another manufacturer quite easily.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)