TOWER and POWER
TOWER and POWER
A new idea of Middle Ages, you will enjoy an unbelievable journey to discover a little Manhattan of 800 years ago.
A new idea of Middle Ages, you will enjoy an unbelievable journey to discover a little Manhattan of 800 years ago. Read more
About this project
Are you tired of the usual Middle Ages we have seen so many times in games, films and cartoons? Always the same fantasy village, the banal Disney-like castle and the inevitable Arthurian duels between knights?
Why every time you see this kind of games you have the impression of having already had certain experiences and seen certain scenarios? What can invent to stimulate new interest and stand out from the crowd?
TOWER and POWER welcomes you to the original and authentic Middle Ages, based on 2 key concepts:
- Enjoying, walking and… learning, thanks to an original 3D map, a faithful reconstruction of the Italian town of Bologna in the 13th century, which allows you to take a fantastic first person journey or fly over the town. In short, a “smart adventure”.
- Playing a game of true historical popularization, which may preserve all the features of an adventurous and fascinating experience but is not limited to a merely military approach (bang-bang), emphasizing the most authentic events which characterized the fight for power … practically, all the elements of a modern SOCIAL GAME!
These two separated phases of the project are clearly in a sequence; for the moment, we are asking Kickstarter to finance the first part, though we reserve the possibility of using the extra budget, if any, to develop the second one.
Check out what others are saying about Tower and Power
Many people will recognize the city of Bologna for its famous meat sauce, sparkling red wine and tortellini, but has offered much more than culinary achievements. Its status as a cultural and historical center of Europe dates back to the Middle Ages; home to the oldest university in Europe, started in 1088, ancient towers preceded modern skyscrapers by many centuries. Bologna still has some of the largest and best preserved Mediaeval landmarks, in the heart of the region Emilia-Romagna, the land of Ferrari and Pavarotti.
The 3D map allows you to walk down every street in first-person view. Shown below this feature is the result of long and accurate historical, architectural and topographic research. Being as faithfully as possible and paying careful attention to the sources available, we are able to reproduce the city of Bologna as it looked during the Middle Ages and bring its enchantment back to life and onto your screens.
As you can see, the completion of the map will enable end users to have an original and entertaining tool which can teach them much about the Middle Ages and history, maybe as they go on small errands to discover the city; this might turn it into a very innovative front runner among cultural popularization tools, to apply to other contexts, époques or sectors and ready to diffuse.
TECHNICAL FEATURES & FUNCTION
Our 3D map stands out for its uniqueness because of three main reasons:
- SIZE: Within an area of about 1 sq. km realized in the Fall of 2012, more than 1,000 buildings have been located, with more than 2,000 items of city furniture: as a total, almost 150 possible versions of houses; then, with the help from Kickstarter, the map will be completed to the city walls, enlarging the current one by 8 times.
- FIRST-PERSON VIEW: You can freely walk down the streets and even the narrowest alleys, as if you were really standing at the foot of houses or monuments, and admire their architectural details. Do not miss the fantastic experience of free flight simulation! You can even land on top of towers or soar high above and enjoy the unforgettable view.
- INTERACTION: It will be possible to complete the map by including some urban orienteering interactive games or even some others in which players have to fulfill missions/quests, that is more similar to classical video games.
And what if Kickstarter’s backers were REALLY generous? After the 3D map, our ultimate dream is to create a game based on an original set of rules to allow players to place themselves in Mediaeval daily lives, the events which take place in the game and the town map being historically faithful.
The rules are important, they must not be limited to simple military conflicts, or just on the accumulation of wealth: players must experience the daily life of the Middle Ages and historical events must be the starting point for taking actions, as the Mediaeval noble families really used to do.
Main innovations in the game, as you can see in the video below:
- importance of arranged marriages by reaching agreements among players in order to unify families and create numerous descendants and stable alliances;
- impact of the public decisions made by the ruling families, that is the same players elected in the various public offices;
- random but foreseeable and generally manageable impact of historical events on the game dynamics.
The key word to distinguish the new game will be respect for historical, social and political events, in order to make what we are doing more credible, and to avoid all that has already been done and repeated countless times in very similar games. For instance, the “playground”, which will obviously be the 3D map seen in Phase 1.
We trust the game we have designed will surely be interesting and challenging even for experienced gamers who have not dealt with such innovative issues in the games currently available.
Therefore, even if the development of the map seen in Phase 1 (that is the object of our rewards) is not sufficiently attractive for you, we still invite you to send us a little contribution, because this is the necessary passage to start Phase 2, that is the creation of the game described above.
We might do that at once, if we had some remarkable extra budget, by allocating the amount in question to designing and implementing the macro-chapters in the rules of the game.
The required budget of $ 38,000 will be broken down as follows:
- 10% for studying new models of non-standard items, such as buildings, churches and canals;
- 25% for making the identified models of non-standard items;
- 65% for optimizing all the SketchUp and Blender models included in the Unity platform, in order to support high performance during real-time simulations with almost 10,000 buildings.
If funds exceeded $ 38,000, we might start the development of the game, basing it on the 3D map itself.
TOWER AND POWER has provided a lot of smart CUSTOMIZED PLEDGES for the backers; look at these pictures about them:
YOU CAN FIND MORE INFORMATION ABOUT PLEDGES (and choose Mediaeval dresses) ON OUR WEBSITE
Enjoy an unique experience at Prendiparte Tower!
This incredible tower is over 900 years old and it was designed to serve as a fortress for members of the Prendiparte family to protect from their enemies. With a height of 60 meters, it is the second tallest and the best preserved tower in Bologna, and certainly one of the most beautiful.
Our week-end in Bologna will not only give you a chance to visit it, but even to spend one night in the tower, in the heart of Middle Ages. This is a unique experience because the TOWER WILL BE RESERVED EXCLUSIVELY FOR YOU with its luxury accommodation, vintage lounge, gala hall (formerly a prison) and, more importantly, its breathtaking open terrace at a height of 60 meters, which touches on the sky and dominates the whole city.
Today the Prendiparte or Coronata ("Crowned") Tower is a charming Bed & Breakfast, Chamber Music & Meeting venue and it often hosts nice events of historical re-enactment as a tribute to the fierce and warlike families, who lived here in the past centuries.
Risks and challenges
We believe that the potential risks due to the completion of the project have already been reduced by the great experience we have achieved during the construction of the 3D partial map of the city, in which we have not only defined 25 different types of houses (one- or two-storey houses, with or without porticoes, besides roof overhangs and hallways), but also many different typologies of walls, plasters, woods and other structures (roofs, supporting beams, stones, French windows).
The main technical challenge will be to optimize complex 3D environments in order to achieve high performance during real-time simulations, even with devices like tablets or smartphones, despite the large number of expected buildings (about 10,000) and objects. This will be the task of our tech partner ANDREA NANETTI (graphic designer) and STUDIO EVIL (see website: www.studioevil.com).Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (50 days)