WE HIT GOAL!! See the Updates section below for stretch goals!
Bad jobs: we've all had 'em. Envelope stuffing, box moving, burger slinging, toilet cleaning, and of course: customer verbal punching bag. Why not be recognized for your hard work? This was the idea behind How We Stay Sane @ Work: a weekly webcomic that launched in July 2013. It quickly became a communal project with stories submitted from all over the internet. Now that we've passed the 100-strip mark, it's time to make a book!
Volume 1 will contain the first 100 strips with updated text and SFX for crisper, funnier gags! Printed in a special long format like the newspaper-strip compilations you grew up with, it's sure to stand out on your bookshelf. Plus, the book will contain extras like artist notes, The Guide to Office Slang, and more Server Workout Routines!
Recognizing the little guys and supporting indie creators is great, but what about swag? I have plenty of stuff set up exclusively for this campaign such as:
- Thank You: Your name and company immortalized on a special page of the book reserved for donors.
- Digital Sketches: Single character digital sketch of whomever you want! No nudity or offensive topics please.
- PDF: A full-color PDF of the book, released as soon as the final print version is approved.
- Mini-Comic: "The Five Stages of Boredom," featuring the comic's biggest submitters, previously only available at comic conventions!
- Postcard Prints: I will be creating a Kickstarter-exclusive set of 4 prints titled, "Murphy's Law At Work!" Updates on design will be posted periodically!
- Work Survival Kit: A set of items guaranteed to make work (almost) fun! contains a snarky notepad, Server's Friend Pilfer Prevention Pen, Customer Service Bingo card, and, of course, some candy.
- Custom Name Badges: Polished gold or silver with your dream job title of choice.
- Original Inks: A hand-drawn original strip from the first 100
- Anyone who chooses the $10 Desk Jockey tier or higher is entered to win the cover inks!
- A-la-carte items like extra badges($15), prints($4), and books($20) can be added to your rewards until the campaign ends at 7:08pm CDT tonight. Add the appropriate amount and send me a message with your preference.
- Custom badges and the Murphy's Law @ Work print set are Kickstarter Exclusive items and will not be available to purchase after this campaign! Not even at conventions!
A big thanks to Aaron W for editing and narrating the video, and Den P. and Luke M. for lending their voices!
Risks and challenges
* Although this is my first Kickstarter campaign I have assimilated advice from creator friends and colleagues throughout the planning process. The money I have saved up will cover the packing and shipping costs, and some of the rewards like the mini comic and Work Survival Kits are things I have in-stock already. All donation money will go towards printing the book and the Kickstarter-exclusive rewards like the prints and custom badges.
* All 100 strips are drawn. However, to respect the wishes of all the comic's submitters, I have asked permission to use their stories and likenesses in this book. Those who have not given their permission will have their strips redrawn. I have factored that time into the release date, but as with any project real life and day jobs sometimes sneak up on you. I have been working successfully with weekly webcomics deadlines for 4 years, but I am still a one-woman army. You can rest assured I will keep you informed of all stages of the production process, as well as any delays, with copious updates.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)