Once home to the most wondrous kingdom the world had ever known, blasted to nothing in just a fortnight.
It is here that the fiends of Hel walk among us.
It is here where all things die.
Crifoth was once home to a great kingdom, Ossland, at the height of its power. Now, little remains to hint at its glory. Pastures turned to badlands; cities turned to rubble - the eruption of Mount Kest extinguished the vast majority of life and buried cities beneath molten earth. This eruption was not spontaneous - it was the product of something more sinister.
A foolish mistake made by King Alain Lothaire, over a century ago, brought an otherworldly evil into the world. A desperate bargain brought the whole kingdom to its knees. An Archfiend was invited into the mortal world - all through missing the fine print in this last-resort deal for the King to turn the tide of war against the Dwarves. Within moments, this Archfiend, Burpoross, wrought destruction on the land. His vile presence snuffed out all life and corrupted everything it touched. Tidal waves, earthquakes, and the eruption of Mount Kest sealed Ossland’s fate. This was the Fall of Humanity. Evil had won.
A century of torment, carnage, and bleakness passed. Burpoross and his fiendish minions established strongholds as they carved their way across the landscape. For most, the only refuge was to flee farther into the sands to the south, just beyond his grasp. For others, it was submission to his rule, in hopes that he would spare their lives. But in the end, no one can escape his influence.
New and Improved Races
We have tailored races to fit into our setting as well as created some new ones. They all are tailored to fit into this desolated landscape and include Ash Elves, Orcs, Ssuri (Drakebloods, Quickfoots, and Hardscales), Humans and Tieflings.
A huge pillar to the setting of Crifoth are our unique twist to the Tiefling race. Tieflings in Crifoth are not the result of an ancestral fiendish lineage, nor a pact made from the evil beings who dwell beneath. The first Tieflings arose deep within the bowels of the ruins of Ossland, a century after the Fall of Humanity. They arose from a band of survivors, whom, in such a desperate time, resorted to desperate means: they drank the blood of freshly slain demons. Their bodies twisted, their souls corrupted; but, in this perversion, they gained immense power -- the power to survive.
New Class Archetypes
We have specialized all of the classes in 5e to feel as though they belong in Crifoth. You will now have more options in addition to the 5e class archetypes.
As a Bard, you may choose the College of Legends. Barbarians can follow the Path of the Marauder.
Clerics can gain power from the Desert.
Druids may choose the Circle of the Elementalist.
Fighters can take up their swords as Gladiators.
Monks can channel the Way fo the Inner Demon.
Paladins can make the Oath of Freedom or the Oath of Legion.
Rangers can become Outriders.
Rogues can survive by taking up the life of a Bandit.
Sorcerers can unlock their sorcery through Blood Magic.
Warlocks can make their pact with a Primordial.
Wizards can learn their magic from the School of Lost Lore.
Each of these will have 20 levels of new and unique abilities and features, as well as modified spell lists!
In a world like Crifoth, the core 5e backgrounds don't encapsulate the intricacies of the setting quite as well as we'd like. To solve this, this supplement will include more backgrounds tailored to the setting. These backgrounds each come with Personality Traits, Bonds, Flaws, and a Feature. As a player, you may choose from Blood Knight, Delver, Scavenger, Ratcatcher, Legionary, Tribal, Slave, and Wastelander.
This game is designed to be taxing on players at all times, not only in combat but also in everyday life. We are introducing new mechanics for those wandering the wasteland. Some of these mechanics include consequences for thirst, hunger, fatigue and sun exposure to elaborate and expand upon the core 5e Exhaustion rules. We will be implementing a mechanic for HP called Blood and Grit, created by A Point of Inspiration, to really encapsulate the dangers of flesh injuries as well as the rigors of combat on your stamina. There will be an assortment of roll tables as well such as: Desert Madness Table, Poisonous Food and Drink, and Encounter Table.
For The Game Masters
For the Game Master, this supplement includes chapters of lore for regions, locations, important NPCs, and unique monsters. There will be roll tables for everything under the sun, from NPCs to encounters, dungeon dressing to loot. You can implement these roll tables in your game to inspire you, or to come up with something on the fly during the game.
The core book will be a full-colour PDF with lots of commissioned art. It will focus on the story, setting, and additional rules, as it is based on 5th Edition of the world's most popular role-playing game. It is assumed that players and Game Masters will have access to the core rules of this system when using this supplement.
In addition, there are two exclusive bonus chapters available - Adventures, and Bestiary.
The Adventures chapter will include 3 pre-written adventures set in Crifoth that explore the setting's themes.
- When Streets Run Red; take up the mantle as Tiefling Blood Knights and hit the Archfiends where it hurts the most: their supply of human souls.
- The Blood Pits of Malice; captured by Legionaries, fight waves of monsters and demons for the sadistic crowd's delight in an action-packed fight to the death.
- Sun Above, Sand Below; survive against the harsh elements of Crifoth's blasted desert in search of the most valuable prize: water.
The Bestiary chapter will include 50 custom monsters and foes to throw against your players of varying challenge ratings, each with completed stat blocks and lore-friendly sketches.
- RAT - $1: A simple donation, a simple reward. You get your name in the back of the supplement as a huge thank you!
- RATCATCHER - $10: You get a full-color copy of the PDF!
- LEGIONARY - $25: You get a bonus chapter of your choice: Either the Adventures chapter (which includes 3 adventures designed to be able to be ran as-is with minimal prep) or the Bestiary chapter (which includes 50 brand-new monsters to destroy your players).
- PRAETOR - $40: You get both bonus chapters, rather than just one.
- ARCHFIEND - $60: You get a softcover copy of the supplement that includes both bonus chapters. ***US and CANADA ONLY!***
- $1000: Art from Hankerin Ferinale and a custom Crifoth Character Sheet.
- $1250: A commissioned full color, full page map of Crifoth.
- $1500: Full awesome commissioned art for the Bestiary.
- $1750: More content: More NPCs, Monsters, Encounters, and Adventure Hooks!
- $2000: Even more fantastic art to liven up the pages and create a more immersive experience into the world.
Dice on Ice is a partner-duo of two awesome people who are passionate about gaming:
- Megan Hambrock: Fairly new to the hobby, Megan took an immediate interest in creating her own worlds and crafting her own stories. She adeptly took on the mantle of Game Mastering, and hasn't looked back since.
- Connor Davies: Ever since a young age, Connor always daydreamed about fantastical lands and heroic deeds. One thing led to the other and he found himself deeply entrenched in the role-playing hobby as his favourite pastime. When he puts pen to paper, he feels like he can create anything his imagination comes up with.
And, our editor:
- Matt Click: Matt Click is a freelance writer, editor, and game designer living in the PNW with his wife, two cats, and pit bull. He is a founder of the indie RPG publisher Absolute Tabletop (www.absolutetabletop.com), and has written and edited for Microsoft, Fantasy Flight Games, and EN World.
And, one of our talented artists:
- Brandish Gilhelm: Brandish Gilhelm is one of the old Nexus 8 models: game designer, artist and writer from the great space coast. Find him in the realm of RUNEHAMMER or scribbling stories in the eon-spanning worlds of Index Card RPG.
We've had the pleasure of playing over a dozen games already in this setting, exploring the various facets it provides. The overwhelmingly positive feedback has been the driving factor to share this vision.
Risks and challenges
Although this will be our first Kickstarter, we have surrounded ourselves with people who have done this type of project and have been successful. We have a plan for writing, producing, funding, managing, and delivering to customers on time. We have many people we are accountable to for editing, art and playtesting. So far we have been consistent and passionate and will continue to do so. For us, Kickstarter is a way to reach a wider audience, and fund a larger amount of art. For our first Kickstarter, we’re keeping things simple and focused to ensure that we can deliver a quality product that is on time or early.
The finalized version of the product is 100-percent written and will be made available for backers in June. We have many resources that have tried-and-true writing and editing processes that we know work, and we have no concerns about delays.
We have simple, straight-forward pledge levels to make it easy for us to manage. Also, there are no additional add-ons to this project. We’ve done that deliberately in order to keep the project manageable for our small but dedicated team.
We'll be using artists that have been highly recommended to us. We’ve already begun sourcing the art, working with the artists and preparing for any level of success with sketches and thumbnails so that the wheels are in motion.
Being our first Kickstarter and first big undertaking, we wanted to have reasonable goals and pace ourselves. We’ve made the goal for the project as tight as possible while still being able to deliver a gorgeous, high-quality project. We’re starting small because we care about quality, and our reputation, and are taking our first Kicktarter one step at a time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)