Cipher Prime's Summer Scrapbook
Why, hello there Backers. Cipher Prime Team here, reporting in. Sheepishly late.
Hope you are all doing wonderfully! And thank you for being so patient with us. We've been answering your emails but haven't done a backer-wide update in several months. We're remedying that now.
First, we apologize for being stuck in our development caves for so long. But these have a been a busy few months! Here's what Cipher Prime has been up to. It's Splice-heavy and Duet-lite, but we're going to flip that around!
- Finished up Splice development for Mac/PC.
We started Splice in in the Fall of last year, and after a few hiccups we pulled it together and finished it up. We are pretty proud of it; it's a beautiful game and it's also meant to provide the second half of the money we need to fund the development cycle for Duet (the first half coming from the Kickstarter!). Finishing up development mainly consisted of testing the game, polishing the experience, and preparing the game for sale.
- Splice won for Best Puzzle Game in the Intel Level Up 2011 Contest!
A pleasant little surprise for us was having Splice win the Intel Level Up 2011 contest's puzzle game category! They even gave us a VIP ticket to E3 2012 to go show off Splice as part of their showcase; Nikko went to L.A. as our representative!
- Splice was released on Steam!
This was a super stressful week for us, but we were able to get the game up and ready for Steam. We also spent a lot of time trying to market the game; a tough task for a company of our size, so it was pretty time-consuming. Otherwise, it's our third Steam launch, and it was nice to get it done!
- Splice updated on Steam.
- Splice selected as part of the PAX 10 Showcase!
July brought us another surprise, because PAX selected us as one of their Indie PAX 10 showcase games! Part of the prize was four free exhibitor passes to one of the biggest gaming conventions out there! At the end of August the Cipher Prime Team will be out in Seattle, so if you're attending PAX Prime, be sure to drop by our table!
- The Cipher Prime Team is one Aaron larger than it was!
- Splice ported to the iPad.
- Splice standalone version updated and Mac App Store version developed.
- Splice is an Indiecade 2012 Finalist!
- Finally: Laying the groundwork for Auditorium Duet.
On the Auditorium-side, we've started working on networked multiplayer gameplay, and we're working on replicating many of the original Auditorium's mechanics. One of the most interesting parts of this will be figuring out how we're going to be handling the visual effects, given the differences between Unity development and Flash development.
On the Kickstarter-side, we're going to be contacting each of the individual backer tiers directly with news about their rewards! Obviously we're a little late with rewards, and we'll try and get out an updated schedule. Game development (and software development in general) can get messy and unpredictable, but we'll try our best and we'll be as open as we can about progress. Don't hesitate to ask us questions!
We also talked with Steam and finagled 2,037 coupon codes for a 66% discount off of Splice (normally priced $9.99). If you missed the launch sale or Steam's Summer Sale, and you'd like to get a discount copy of the game for yourself or a friend, please email andrei[at]cipherprime.com and let us know you'd like a special backer discount code!
Edit! Backer Discount Code Instructions
You're supposed to use discount codes the way you use normal Steam codes:
- Click the "Add A Game" button on the Steam interface (it's in the lower left corner of Steam's interface--the actual software, not the website).
- Select the "Activate Product on Steam" option.
- Follow the prompts to enter the code.
- You should then receive a message saying that a discount will be applied to your Steam purchase of Steam.
- Play the game and have fun!