About this project
What others are saying about us...
"Kris White has a killer idea for a comic book. Help kickstart his dream!"
-Damon Lindelof, Executive Producer and Co-Creator of "LOST"
“The 36 is a fantastic adventure story that is extremely rich in mythology. I can’t wait to see it in print.”
- Adam Hamdy, creator of "The Hunter" & "Starmaker: Leviathan" graphic novels, producer of "Pulp The Movie."
"The 36 is visually engaging with a killer premise that proves indie comics are just as viable for large scale stories as anything from a major publisher."
- Joey Esposito, Creator of "Footprints: A Monster Murder Mystery", Editor for IGN's Comic Site
"It's pretty cool concept based on Jewish mysticism (although you don't need to be Jewish to enjoy it)."
-Brian McCarthy, Creator of "Brimstone"
"Love the idea! I can't wait to see it on the page."
- Marqui Jackson, Writer on "House", "Lone Star", "The Forgotten"
"Publisher Kristopher White’s The 36 is a strong tale of survival and endurance."
- John Michael Helmer, Publisher of ComicBookInterviews.com
What are we doing here?
All funds raised here will go to the physical production of the graphic novel in black and white (i.e. page rates for the artist, lettering, printing). The entire book is 5 chapters in length (also available in chapter form) and is a closed-ended story (see the summary below). Any additional funding will go toward coloring the project (we have an amazing colorist ready to go... and we hope we can use her skills.)
Creator-owned comics are becoming harder and harder to support as the big two increase their market share, so make your voice heard by supporting fresh new choices!
What is "The 36"?
The 36 is a graphic novel based on the Kabbalistic belief that there are 36 people in the world upon whom it is saved by their simple existence. In times of need, these people emerge from anonymity and save us, then fade back into their lives.
Noam, our hero, is one of those people. Armed with the fabled staff of Moses (used to split the Red Sea), Noam would love nothing more than to fade into anonym- ity; he just doesn't know what he has to do to finish his duty as one of the 36.
Tonally, it borrows from Bill Willingham's Fables, with the source material being Jewish mysticism. It's a world of magical realism in which golems exist and 36 humans have God-given abilities and the task to "save" humanity. These abilities range from the mundane, like speaking with animals, to the super, like wielding electricity. At its heart, the story focuses on the relationships between Noam and those he protects, whether fighting with his nebbish brother or fending off the infatuation of a girl he's protecting. The first two chapters follow Noam as he investigates a murder spree committed by someone using a golem -- an ancient creature created from mud.
About the Artist & Colorist:
George Zapata (Pencils & Inks) isn’t sure when his journey into comics began. Since the beginning though he knew he had pencil and ink in his blood (it was a freak accident involving very little understanding of gravity and stairs). After honing his skills at the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic art, he made his comic debut in the SIX anthology as penciller and inker of “The Altruist”. Currently he is working on various projects from a wide range of genres.
His work can be found at http://gzapata.net.
Micki Zurcher (Color) is a veteran to the industry. Among her many credits as a painter/background artist include The Little Mermaid, Eight Crazy Nights, Cool World and many other world-class animated films. Currently, she is actively involved in rescuing pugs.
Her current portfolio of work (including web design) can be found here: http://jalbum.net/en/users/mickiz/
We know you love them! Here's a laundry list of what we're offering. Select your package to the right...
- Digital copies of Chapters #1-5 (which represents the entire trade paperback)
- Signed copies of Chapter #1, or the entire Trade Paperback
- A nifty Golem T-Shirt (image below)
- A limited edition 11x17 print of the Trade Paperback Cover (image below)
- A raw "working sketch" from the artist. (These are raw elements drawn by the artist to help develop the finished page.)
- An original inked drawing of YOU battling a Golem
- An original inked page from the artist
- YOUR LIKENESS in a battle scene, along with the original inked page
- YOUR LIKENESS as a supporting character along with an original inked page
Here's a preview of the Golem T-shirt:
Here's a preview of the 11x17 print of the cover:
Support this project
- (62 days)