Glad you asked. Chippo is our very own invention: a patent pending, mind-blowing mash-up of golf and traditional backyard games. We like to call Chippo the glorious lovechild of golf and cornhole (the popular bean bag toss game). We’ve combined the old fashioned, beer-slugging, tailgate-dominating, sunshine-basking goodness of games like cornhole with the gentlemanly, giddiness-inducing, side-betting beauty of golf. Chippo is the only backyard game where you can work over your buddies, while working on your short game. Sound good? Well, we are ready to bring Chippo to beaches, backyards, tailgates, gym classes and golf clubhouses all over these great United States of America...but we need your help!
We’ve done a lot so far to get Chippo to this point. We've started a company; done a bunch of research; built and tested countless prototypes; obtained legal protection by filing for patents and trademarks; chosen a trusted manufacturing partner; perfected our prototypes; finalized the awesome design of Chippo; found a trusted, efficient and experienced storage/order fulfillment/shipping partner; and built an in-depth business plan and financial model...to name a few things. Now, we need your help in order to fund our first large order from the manufacturer. Kickstarter offers an amazing platform to connect Chippo with other like-minded and passionate golf enthusiasts and backyard game gurus. By backing Chippo, you’ll be supporting young inventors/entrepreneurs and joining the growing herd of Chippopotamuses...But also: Can you imagine being the first one of your friends to roll up to the beach, backyard, tailgate or clubhouse with Chippo? That’s the stuff legends are made of.
Each Chippo set includes two target boards.
- Each board measures 40" x 24" x 1.4" and weighs just under 10 lbs.
- Quality artificial turf covers the surface of each board, mimicking the feel of a real green and making for some sick spins and bounces.
- Each board includes three strategically placed holes for scoring.
- Netting is attached to each hole to catch scoring shots, leaving no confusion over the tally and preventing fist fights.
- The legs fold under for easy storage and transportation.
- There is a compartment to store the mats built into the underside of each board.
- Each Chippo set includes two chipping mats.
- Our mats are made of quality artificial turf attached to heavy rubber so it doesn't move when you hit the ball.
- The mats also enable you to play Chippo on any surface.
- Here, we name a few surfaces on which one can play Chippo: sand at the beach, grass in a backyard or park, asphalt in a parking lot or driveway, the patio at the clubhouse, carpet at the office, tile in your bathroom, cheese or barbecue spare ribs (not sure which one is true) on the surface of the moon.
- Each Chippo set includes six balls.
- The balls are made of high quality, high density foam.
- They travel 1/3 the distance of a regular golf ball but feel very similar off the club.
- These balls are dense and balanced for true spin, trajectory and accuracy...
- And soft enough that they will not dent car doors, break windows or noses, and won't bounce and roll like crazy.
- Safe to play with anyone, anywhere.
Like all great and beautiful things, playing Chippo is pretty simple:
Step One: Set up the boards as depicted above.
Step Two: Find three friends (or highly skilled pets) and start chipping!
Chippo is easy enough for non-golfers, and pros can move the boards back for a more challenging game.
Gameplay is reminiscent of cornhole, washers or horseshoes, but with some cool new twists. Flip a coin to start, winners go first from there on out. You take three shots in a row at the target board and tally your total score like-a-this:
1 point: Just hit the board on a fly.
3 points: Drain your shot in the larger center hole.
5 points: Send the ball to its home in either top corner hole.
2x points: If you're a surgeon with a sixty degree wedge, bounce your shot off the chipping mat for double (2, 6 or 10) points. Promptly yell "Mashed Potatoes!"
Your opponent standing next to you goes next. The player with the highest total score wins that “hole” for his/her team. The players on the other side then battle it out for "hole" #2, and so on. Play an 18 “hole” match. Settle ties with a sudden death playoff - intense! You can drink beer, heckle your friends and gamble while doing this. Life is good. Keep in mind, these are the standard Chippo Match Play Rules but, like golf, there are many different ways to keep score while playing Chippo such as Stroke Play and Nassau. We’ll have a full list with all the different scoring options soon.
History books are strewn with great and prescient inventors. Men who were able to see into the future, beyond the boundaries of their own time and place, toward a version of the world that was better, more perfect, more beautiful. Men like Edison, Franklin, Tesla, Jobs. Brendan and Matt, the co-founders of Chippo Golf LLC, have one thing in common with these men: Brendan and Matt are also men. Other than that, they likely have very little in common with those other men. Brendan and Matt are somewhat intelligent, mediocre looking, washed up athletes, who happened to have a great idea (Chippo - a game that combines golf and cornhole - why doesn’t this already exist!?) and decided to man-up and make it happen! They are both avid golfers, intensely competitive backyard gamers, and both incredibly bad at both golf and backyard games. Brendan is a former collegiate athlete, with an MBA, two kids, a heart of gold, a receding hairline and ten years of experience in finance. Matt is a little older with slightly more hair (though an awkward percentage of it is gray given his age), two dogs with a total of seven legs, one kid on the way and over ten years of experience in marketing and design...and he can still do a kick-flip on his skateboard - whatever that means. Chippo is their first entrepreneurial venture together. They'd love it if you'd consider joining them on their mission to bring golf and backyard game infused fun to the world.
- TODAY: You pre-order Chippo/back us through Kickstarter.
- END OF FEBRUARY 2017: Kickstarter campaign completed. Chippo places order with manufacturer.
- MARCH 2017: Your Chippo swag (shirts and can coolers) is shipped.
- APRIL 2017: Chippo receives first shipment from manufacturer and processes Kickstarter pre-orders.
- MID/END APRIL 2017: The moment of truth. Love at first sight ♥. You receive your Chippo and instantly become cooler.
- APRIL 2017 AND BEYOND: News of Chippo spreads like wildfire and, together, we make golf fun again.
Risks and challenges
True! There are risks and challenges around every corner any time you take an idea and turn it into a product and then take a product and turn it into a brand and a business. We've been vigilant of risks and challenges so far and have worked hard to mitigate risk not only for ourselves, our product and the company, but most importantly for you, our customer. That said, you can never really escape that four letter word, risk. Here are some potential risks and challenges: 1.) Timing. We have done and will do all we can to make sure we stick to the timeline above, but there are a lot of moving parts when importing a product from an overseas manufacturer and it is possible that it might take longer for you to get your Chippo. 2.) Shipping. Maybe this isn't by definition a risk, but we admit, it is not ideal. Chippo is large and so we have to charge you a little bit for shipping. We don't love paying for shipping and so we really don't love charging you for shipping, but in order to make this initial project successful, we need to do it. We hope the endless hours of enjoyment you get out of Chippo will make up for it. 3.) Quality control. Anytime you outsource manufacturing, this risk exists. We've gone through many prototypes and are confident that the final product will be splendid. The manufacturer we've chosen has decades of experience and came as a recommendation from a friend and long time industry veteran. We are enlisting the services of a third party inspector to make sure the final product is up to our standards. So, we're not worried, but want to be honest with you. We like you so much for supporting us, we wouldn't have it any other way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)