Over 90% of crop diversity in our food systems has been lost.
It's time to turn the tables!
Four years ago I started an education company called Seed Sages to increase the technical and social capacity of our local food and seed systems. In operating with guest teachers and organizations, it has become clear that we need to scale up to ensure seed sovereignty, build a sound team and create resource hubs. These seed trainings and hubs are for all interested people to learn, share resources and bring diversity back to our communities.
This campaign, entitled, "Reclaim our Seeds, Cultivate a Diverse Food Future with Seed Sages”. We aim to raise $30,000 in 45 days. Our goals are:
• Increase Introductory Seed Saving classes & field workshops
• Expand training for farmers and gardeners
• Establish an advanced training program to certify seed growers
• Create seed hubs: These hubs will be resources centers where eaters, gardeners, farmers, and foragers can learn how to share, store, and exchange their seeds; these will be replicable models that can be created other communities
• Demonstrative Seed Farm: If we hit our campaign goal before the campaign deadline, an additional goal is to start a demonstrative seed farm to taste, learn, and grow on
We are asking local food, farming and gardening organizations to promote this campaign. Moreover, we are asking individuals - eaters - who care about keeping food rights and seed rights in our hands to support this project.
Every week we'll be sharing a seed story of a local seed supporter as well as highlighting an organization that relates to clean and local seed - whether that is a food, pollinators & habitat, soil or water advocate.
We are all related!
Risks and challenges
Some challenges that may arise from this project are finding farmland and educational space to carry out the training and seed growing. With connections to local farmers and spaces that are open to community use, Seed Sages will be able to have transitional options while we find a suitable space for our headquarters.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (44 days)