Entromancy is a tabletop roleplaying game set in San Francisco in the late 21st century. In our world, a quarter of the earth's power now runs on ceridium, a newly discovered element that has had the unintended consequence of spawning a new race of people, and several forms of magic that were once thought to have been forgotten.
In Entromancy, you’ll take the role of a character in a futuristic, technology-driven, magic-rich world complete with espionage, spellcasting, hacking, and engaging action sequences.
The core system of Entromancy is based on the world’s most popular roleplaying game, and will allow you to choose from five diverse races and five unique classes to create your character and begin your story. You’ll progress your character by taking on challenging missions and eventually embracing one of the game’s five brutally powerful destinies, which are like prestige classes.
Want to stealth hack your way into enemy territory as a Vanguard, enhancing your faction standing with the underrace nation of Aurichome? You can do that. Interested in putting together a crew of NIGHT Agents to clean out San Francisco's Presidio of zombie-like ragers? We've got you covered. Striving to climb the ranks of the Unaligned so that you can unlock the ferociously powerful, chaos-based magic of the Entromancer? No one's stopping you...other than the other two power hungry factions standing in your way.
- Cyberpunk Fantasy Roleplaying. Enter a futuristic, magic-rich world where technology is ever-present and several forms of forgotten magics have resurfaced -- for better and worse.
- Unique Characters. Choose from five diverse races and five unique classes -- from the dual-pistol wielding Revolutionary to the magic-savvy Technomancer -- to create your character and begin your story. Progress your character by taking on challenging missions and eventually embracing one of five brutally powerful destinies.
- d20 Mechanics. Experience a streamlined gameplay system based on the Fifth Edition of the world’s most popular roleplaying game, simultaneously allowing for exciting action and storytelling while providing for a great deal of depth.
- Action Gameplay. Get into the game quickly with easy onboarding for new players and engage in action-packed gameplay with spellcasting, hacking, cybernetics, and much more.
- Faction-Based Espionage. Increase your standing with Entromancy’s three competing factions of NIGHT, Aurichome, and the Unaligned, while attempting to make your mark on a world that has become fractured after years of population explosion, socio-economic tension, and magic-based warfare.
In Entromancy, you’ll create a character by selecting from five diverse races and five unique classes, customizing them by selecting feats and talents and/or spells. The five starter classes include:
- NIGHT Agent. NIGHT Agents are special agents of the highest order, members of a paramilitary force that is called upon to enforce peace among aurics and humans -- sometimes using extreme measures. As a Night Agent, you’re skilled in espionage and magical combat, and will have to decide between the paths of dark and light for your archetype.
- Revolutionary. Revolutionaries are allied to the underrace nation of Aurichome, sacrificing the comforts of the status quo for the promise of equality for all underraces. As a Revolutionary, you’re trained in all manner of ranged combat, and are unparalleled in your understanding of modern vehicles.
- Technomancer. Technomancers are gifted to the extreme in hacking, robotics, and manipulating any type of machinery. As a Technomancer, your training allows you to get closer to the metal with feats and spells than any other class.
- Terramancer. Terramancers have dedicated their lives towards communing with nature, drawing their inspiration from the flora and fauna around them. As a Terramancer, your proficiency with healing magic is unmatched, as is your ability to throw projectiles with deadly effect.
- Vanguard. Vanguards thrive in the shadows, specializing in the arts of stealth, assassination, and subterfuge. As a Vanguard, your skills in remaining unseen and getting the drop on your opponents is unparalleled.
Once you’ve completed five or more missions, you’ll unlock one of five powerful destinies, provided that you have the appropriate faction standing to do so. These include:
- Aurikar Elite. Guns and spells have their places, but you prefer to get your hands dirty. You’ve mastered the art of hand-to-hand combat through training with King Thog’run’s special forces, and have sworn fealty to the crown as one of Aurichome’s elite defenders.
Entromancer. You’ve spent time, energy, and no small amount of personal sacrifice chipping away at the mysteries of the universe. Ever so slowly, entropy begins to respond to your will.
- Infiltrator. When a job requires subtlety, they call for an assassin. When it requires a ghost, they call you.
- Inquisitor. You’ve entered the elite ranks of NIGHT leadership, empowered with some of the most devastating –- and manipulative -- spells known to humankind.
- Weapon Master. Some heroes are born; others are forged through discipline and forbearance. You have become a master of arms, dedicating your life to the study of weaponry.
For a design sample of what the interior layout of the Entromancy RPG will look like, please click here.
Recruit. Thanks so much for supporting the Entromancy Kickstarter! You’ll receive a thank you in the credits, email updates about the Entromancy RPG, and a link to join the official Discord server.
Vanguard. You'll receive a PDF of the final game when it launches, and a digital copy of Entromancy: Book One of the Nightpath Trilogy! Includes all rewards from the Recruit reward tier and stretch goals.
Revolutionary. You'll receive a hardcover physical copy of the game when it launches! Includes all previous rewards and stretch goals.
Terramancer. You’ll help us create a custom non-player character (NPC) of prominence in the Entromancy world to be included in all versions of the final game when it launches! The NPC will include a name and brief description, but will not include an illustration. You’ll receive an email from us upon completion of the Kickstarter which will include instructions for your NPC submission, which must be completed by 11:59PM Pacific Time on September 30, 2018. Failure to do so will result in your NPC not being included in the game and no refund will be given. All NPCs are subject to the game team's approval. Includes all previous rewards and stretch goals.
Technomancer. You'll help us design a monster to be included in all versions of the final game when it launches! The monster will include a stat block and brief description, but does not include an illustration. You’ll receive an email from us upon completion of the Kickstarter which will include instructions for your monster submission, which must be completed by 11:59PM Pacific Time on September 30, 2018. Failure to do so will result in your monster not being included in the game and no refund will be given. All monsters are subject to the game team's approval. Includes all rewards from the Revolutionary reward tier and stretch goals.
Entromancer. You’ll get to participate in a 4-hour Entromancy gameplay session with up to 3 of your friends, GMed by the lead game designer! The game will be played online after the full game launches. Includes all rewards from the Terramancer reward tier and stretch goals, with 3 extra PDFs and hardcovers to share with your game group.
Nightpath. You’ll get to participate in a 4-hour Japanese swordfighting class with up to 5 of your friends, led by a black belt instructor! All costs are included for online classes. Travel and lodging expenses are not included for in-person classes. If swordfighting's not your thing, we'll work with you to create a custom NPC with its own stat block, 1/4 page illustration, and 500-word vignette to be included in all versions of the final game when it launches. You’ll receive an email from us upon completion of the Kickstarter which will include instructions for your NPC submission, which must be completed by 11:59PM Pacific Time on September 30, 2018. Failure to do so will result in your NPC not being included in the game and no refund will be given. All NPCs are subject to the game team's approval. Both options include all rewards from the Terramancer reward tier and stretch goals, with 3 extra PDFs and hardcovers to share with your game group.
We’ve got the core system written and are currently playtesting, and need your help to get final art, editing, and layout finished. We’ve also got some pretty cool stretch goals, like a card-based, collaborative hacking minigame that’s playable in under a minute.
The final product will be a 8.5" x 11” book with super radical cyberpunk fantasy artwork based on the samples above. Fulfillment of hardcover rewards will be completed via print-on-demand through DriveThruRPG, and we'll arrange for printing as part of your reward. Media mail shipping to North America, UK, Australia, and most EU countries is also included. Additional shipping costs may apply for shipping to other countries and will be arranged upon completion of the Kickstarter.
DriveThruRPG's shipping services do not currently include VAT or tax for Canada, Australia, or the European Union.
We’ve got several stretch goals for which we need your help to make realities!
*UNLOCKED!* - Monster Pack. We currently have 25 monsters in the base game, with GM-friendly instructions on how to create your own (not including monsters from the Technomancer backer level). With this stretch goal, we’ll double the number of monsters included in the base game.
*UNLOCKED!* - Full Color Everything. With this stretch goal, we’ll include full color art throughout the base game.
*UNLOCKED!* - The First Mission. The San Francisco Presidio has become a dead zone, filled with zombie-like ragers and other horrors best kept unseen. Recent reports have indicated a naturally-occurring source of ceridium in the depths of this overgrown territory, and your squad has been called in to investigate. With this stretch goal, We’ll include the first mission, The Presidio Heist, with the base game.
$10,000 - Hacking. We have a card-based, collaborative hacking minigame in the works that serves as an alternate system for you to use during your cyber exploits. With this stretch goal, we’ll include the minigame rules with a PDF of full color, printable cards to be used with plastic card sleeves.
M. S. Farzan, Ph. D. - Creative Director and Lead Designer. M. S. Farzan was born in London and grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. He has written and worked for high-profile video game companies and editorial websites such as Electronic Arts, Perfect World Entertainment, and MMORPG.com, and has served as the Community Manager for games like Dungeons & Dragons Neverwinter and Mass Effect: Andromeda. He has trained in and taught Japanese martial arts for over ten years and is the author of Entromancy: Book One of the Nightpath Trilogy. Find M. S. Farzan on Twitter @sominator.
Katherine Bartlett - Artist. Katherine has been a freelance character designer, illustrator, comic artist, and game designer for escape rooms since 2016. She studied Sequential Art at the Savannah College of Art and Design where she illustrated and self-published the comic Freight with writer Justin Green. In her free time she enjoys writing, streaming and video editing, road trips, cooking, and replaying games from the Persona series. Find Kat on Instagram @katalystart.
Nathan Haslé - Game Designer. Nathan is a Vancouver, Canada-based game designer and writer for roleplaying games. He was born in France, where he studied History, and later moved to Germany and the Netherlands to work as a Community Manager in the video games industry.
Robert Lashley - Game Designer. Robert is a Marine, game designer, and corporate auditor (not always in that order). He resides in Saint Charles, Missouri with his wife Melissa and their 3 children, plus 2 dogs. When not busy with work or domestic duties you can find him at the pool, behind the grill, or hosting his local tabletop gaming group. You can find Rob on Twitter @fistfullofdice.
Elena Miller - Layout Designer. El is a Bay Area artist, designer, and Japanese jujutsu ninja-in-training. After studying Art and Design in England, where she was born, El moved to the Bay Area to pursue her passion for design in the most exciting city in the world. She graduated Magna Cum Laude with an A.A. in Graphic Design, then went on to San Jose State University where she graduated Summa Cum Laude with a B.A. in Design Studies. She has received multiple promotions working within the video game industry, creating a wide variety of marketing assets. She loves to draw, paint, hike, play with her dogs and parrots, and is always ready for the next adventure.
Andrea Sheaffer, Ph. D. - Project Manager. Annie is a bay area-based higher education administrator, skilled in the art of bossing everyone around so that things get done on time. She is originally from Venice Beach, California, and when not talking about sharks, biblical art, or summer camp, she is usually with her husband, eating burritos and plotting their next adventure.
Consultants/Playtesters - Brian Pettus, Cameron Anicich, Christopher Hua, David Deconde, John Pettus, Katrina Castillo, Kosmas Stocking, Loon Phan, Paul Castillo
RPG Advisor - Craig Campbell
Video - Jordan Mitchell
Risks and challenges
We’ve done our very best to research Kickstarter best practices, provide accurate development and production timelines, and estimate shipping costs.
We aim to complete playtesting, editing, art, and design by May of 2019, with fulfillment of Kickstarter rewards shortly thereafter. Our stretch goals could potentially present brief delays as we implement them into the base game.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)