The concept for Nothing Can Stop Me Now is pretty simple. What story plays in your head when you listen to your favorite Nine Inch Nails song? I approached some of my fellow comic book creators and asked them to create 4 to 8 page stories inspired by their favorite Nine Inch Nails songs. The song acts as an inspiration, jumping off point, theme or mood for the story. Each story varies in style and genre.
I have published three previous "Stories Inspired by" books in the past 3 years. Two books were based upon the Smiths (Unite and Take Over). The third was based the Pixies. Nothing Can Stop Me Now will be different in four distinct ways:
- Nothing Can Stop Me Now will be in full color.
- Nothing Can Stop Me Now will be a hard cover book.
- Nothing Can Stop Me Now will have pinups in addition to stories.
- Nothing Can Stop Me Now will has no boundaries regarding sex, language or violence (although there is nothing so far that would rate it beyond an R rated movie)
There are currently 11 stories and 16 pinups in completed or near completed stage.
As it stands, the book will have 120 pages of illustrated stories and pinups. I am asking backers to help with the costs to print the book, and pay for the cost to help complete the coloring and lettering on a few of the stories and pinups. However, if we exceed the goal, I have scripts that still need art and pinups that can be commissioned to expand the book even further. We will also use any excess to compensate creators who contributed their work to the book.
I also have a vision of offering a oversized version of the book like the DC Comics Absolute editions, but we would have to exceed the original goal and add some art before I would consider offering it. I also have some great artists who are interested in doing limited runs of their covers for the book, which would also require that we exceed the goal.
Where the Money Goes
The money raised by the campaign will be used as follows:
- Printing Costs: $7000
- Shipping Costs: $5800 (based upon a historical 60/40 split between U.S. and International orders for previous books)
- Amazon/Kickstarter Fees: $1200
The Set List
- Every Day is Exactly the Same - Caleb Monroe and Jason Copland
- Happiness in Slavery - Adam Orndorf and Jose Garcia
- Just Like You Imagined - Dirk Manning and Mark Winters
- La Mer - Jason Pedersen
- Ringfinger - Ed Harris, Matt Goodall and Al Sparrow
- Sin - Ernest and Beatriz Romero
- The Becoming - James E.L. Rich and Ryan Quackenbush
- The Day the World Went Away - Joel Gomez
- The Good Soldier - Stephen and Alec Kozak
- The Message - David Swallow, Scott Forster, and K.S. Park
- Traumwerk - K.I. Zachopoulos and Vassilis Gogtzilas
- At the Heart of It All - Vassilis Gogtzilas
- Came Back Haunted - Caanan White, David Beaty and Bill Farmer
- Head Like a Hole - Stephen Russell Black
- Head Like a Hole - Thomas Lynch
- Hurt - lumazark
- Hurt - Ryan S. Davis
- Hurt - Salgood Sam
- Into the Void - Samuel Casal
- March of the Pigs - Jose Garcia
- Piggy - Derrick West and Ryan Cody
- Reptile - Serhiy Krykun
- Right Where It Belongs - Artyom Trakhanov
- Ruiner - Sean Anderson
- The Day the World Went Away - Norberto Perez
- The Great Destroyer - Kevin Louis Storm
- We're in this Together - Fabian Cobos
- Zero Sum - Menton3
For just $25 (even less if you are one of the 250 that pledges toward the Early Bird Special), you can get a copy of the book. There are other pledge levels, including a great opportunity to pick up some original art from the book like:
For every $1000, I will provide an art update with information on the creative team until we hit the goal. Once we hit our campaign goal, the following stretch goals kick in:
- $20,000 - We're In This Together - Eric Esquivel (Adventure Time), another pinup and distribute excess to creators.
- $25,000 - Reptile - Ethan Scott, another pinup and distribute excess to creators.
- $30,000 - Closer - John Shirley (A Song Called Youth), another pinup, and distribute excess to creators.
- $35,000 - March of the Pigs - Gren Radcliff, another pinup and distribute excess to creators.
- $40,000 - StarFuckers INC - Matthew Burke, another pinup, a pinup print reward option and distribute excess to creators.
- $45,000 - Something I Can Never Have - Zachery Smith, another pinup and distribute excess to creators.
- $50,000 - Head Down - Foo!, another pinup, a canvas print reward option and distribute excess to creators.
- $55,000 - Copy of A - Shawn Demumbrum, another pinup and distribute to excess creators.
- $60,000 - Head Like a Hole - Brian Pulido (Lady Death), and an 11"x17" oversized hardcover reward option. The book is now 200 pages.
- $60,001+ distribute excess to creators who contributed their services to the book.
In order for this project to be successfully, we need your support. Not only do we need your pledges, but we need you to pass the links to our Kickstarter page to your friends. Not everyone is a fan of Nine Inch Nails (gasp), but most people know people who like independent comics, music related projects or unique storytelling. Helping to get the word out about our project would help us as much as your pledge. Thank you for your support.
Risks and challenges
As it stands based upon the project description, I can send the book to the printers after the project is funded. However, if the project exceeds its campaign goal, the stretch goals may cause the book to be expanded with additional art to be created before it can be shipped to the printers. If that occurs, new project delivery dates and updates on the project will be communicated to backers.
The printing process can be extended as well. This is my first color book and first hardcover book. Due to the expense of publishing this kind of book, I am having it printed in China. Delays due to customs or transit could delay the book.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (48 days)