All Together Now is a book of photographs and narratives from select women in music. It's pop cultural anthropology and art book.
All Together Now is a gorgeous book of photographs and first person narratives/interviews with a diverse range of notable women making music today. It’s a bit of a hybrid - equal parts pop cultural anthropology document and fine art book.
For the last two years, photographer Audra Marie Dewitt traveled to select cities across America, photographing and talking to women in music, some of whom are pretty well known (Corin Tucker, Exene Cervenka, Amanda Palmer, Peaches, Miho Hatori) and some of whom are simply unsung heroes of their genres (Toody Cole, Jean Knight, Pamela Z). What emerged from these photographs and conversations was truly remarkable and many musicians opened up in ways that were poignant, surprising, and enlightening. The result is a collection of photos and text that is inspiring, and deeply infused with a certain ‘can-do’ spirit of perseverance and practicality.
The funds from Kickstarter will be used to pay for design, printing, and distribution for the book. Every donation is appreciated!
The artists involved in no particular order:
- Corin Tucker, of Sleater Kinney, and The Corin Tucker Band
- Exene Cervenka, of X, and Exene Cervenka and the Original Sinners
- Toody Cole, of Dead Moon, Pierced Arrows
- Miho Hatori, of Cibo Matto, Gorillaz, and Smokey and Miho
- Claire Evans, of Yacht
- Sean Yesult, bassist of White Zombie
- Noelle Scaggs, of Fitz and the Tantrums
- Amanda Palmer, does she really need a byline?
- Peaches, electro raunch queen
- Theresa Andersson, Swedish born/New Orleans dwelling songstress
- Jolie Holland, Americana singer-songwriter
- Bianca Sparta, of Erase Errata
- Anna Oxygen, electro pop composer
- Faye Carol, jazz/blues vocalist
- Kathy Foster, of The Thermals, All Girl Summer Fun Band
- Rachel Flotard, of Visqueen and backup vocalist for Neko Case
- DJ Pam the Funkstress, of The Coup
- Rykarda Parasol, songwriter of dark metaphoric tunes
- Grass Widow, SF postpunk phenoms.
- Laura Bergmann, of The Family Crest
- Netta Brielle, hip hop/R&B vocalist
- Megan Smith, of SF based Misner & Smith
- Melora, of Rasputina
- Evie Ladin, old time banjo player
- Kelly McFarling, Americana singer-songwriter
- Hana Lee, ambient/expierimental musician
- Bonfire Madigan, punk cello original
- Meschiya Lake, Ragtime Jazz/Blues Revival Singer and instrumentalist
- Allee Willis, multiple grammy winning songwriter
- Conspiracy of Venus, women's community a cappella group.
- Mystic, 90's original hip hop artist
- Jean Knight, Stax records queen, singer of Mr. Big Stuff
- Kristine Sinajon, vocalist
- Nikki Corvette, the original girl group vocalist
- Pamela Z, composer, performer, and audio artist
- Sara Lund, of Unwound
- Raining Jane, eclectic rock-folk band
- Shannon Shaw, of Shannon and the Clams, Hunx and the Punx
- Val Jeanty, Haitian born creator Afro-electronica beats
- SistaFist, 3 ryhming ladies of the illest repute.
- STLS, drumcore's finest
- Ann Moss, soprano
Also thanks to JJ Moi for design! WOO!
There are a lot of really important reasons this book exists! But I actually just wrote a blog piece for the project about this very topic, complete with links and a song. So, scroll up and look at 'update number 2.' There you shall find your answer.
Sure is! Come to The Uptown Nightclub in downtown Oakland (very close to 19th St Bart). on Thurs July 12, 2012 from 7-12. $10-20 suggested sliding scale cover, with all proceeds going to the kickstarter campaign and book! No one turned away from door, since we are way too punk ethos for that. There will be: curated playlists, booze, friends, fun, merch for sale, and a digital copy of the book on my hand for previewing! The Uptown is @ 1928 Telegraph Ave, right near 19th St. BART in downtown Oakland. Come say hello! I'd love to meet you!
YES! Go up to the project updates and look for the merch videos! All the merch will be showcased this way so you can see what you are getting!