For a long time I've been trying to find a game that brought back the memories of playing Wing Commander III / IV and the X-Wing games, but nothing has come close for me, so a couple of years ago I decided to start making my own. As a 1 man development "team", this has been an uphill struggle with a full time job and family to support...But the game is reaching the final stages of development and just needs the final push to release.
Welcome to the outer rim of The Coalition's territory. After reports of attacks on its territory borders, the 5th Attack Fleet are deployed to deal with the terrorist group responsible.
What was discovered was beyond what The Coalition could imagine; First contact with an alien species. All attempts at contact have been ignored, and all emissaries sent have been destroyed on sight.
Take command of an elite flight squadron to lead the attack against the unknown enemy.
- Mission based game play - Start the game and jump straight in to the action.
- Over 20 levels planned for the release, plus more levels will be made available as a free DLC pack after the initial release.
- Keyboard, game pad and joystick fully supported
- Space and planetary missions.
- 5 different space ships to choose from, each with their own strengths.
- 12 different energy weapons to unlock.
- Tracking missiles.
- Boost Speed - Use this to outrun missiles or catch up to the enemy, but be careful as it drains you energy reserves quickly.
- Command your Wingmen to help you complete each mission.
- Multiple camera follow modes to suit your style of play.
- Story mode.
- Survivor mode.
The game will be available on both Windows and Mac operating systems. Linux will be looked at after Windows and Mac releases have been completed.
A mobile version will be released in the future, but this is separate from this kickstarter campaign.
These are the items that need to be completed to finish Outer Rim
- Replacement of sounds with purchased sound FX
- Finish hologram display of targeted enemy (disabled in the main video)
- Remove from the energy pool when a shot is fired
- Missile camera mini view
- New enemy space craft models with different abilities
- Command ship torrents fixed
- Finish last levels
- Improve the menu look and feel
- Bug fixes as needed
- Overall polish of levels and graphics as needed
The game is very close to beta release and just needs the final few features finished and the basic end of development life cycle polish that really make a project pop.
Timeline wise I see this game being released in March 2018, this allows a fair bit of time to take in beta testing feedback and polish the game as needed.
Risks and challenges
The largest risk to this project would be finding a large bug during beta testing, this would only delay the project though.
Even though I'm a single developer working on this project, I've been programming professionally for the last 18 years including game development on iOS and Android. This is my first attempt at making a PC/Mac game by myself, and with it there have been learning curves which I've overcome and really enjoyed the challenges faced.
Game development is my passion, and I hope it shows through when the game is played.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)