MotorTalk: Bringing Electirc Motors into the Digital Age
MotorTalk: Bringing Electirc Motors into the Digital Age
The Next Step in Electric Motor Revolution - Introduction of a Voice. Electric Motors can operate, report, and enter the world of IoT -
The Next Step in Electric Motor Revolution - Introduction of a Voice. Electric Motors can operate, report, and enter the world of IoT - Read more
We designed a language and built a new breed of a DC motor core capable of understanding instructions and responding with meaningful responses. We bring together the world of computer technology with the world of physical motion. You can talk to an electric motor right out of the box using wired or wireless connection. All you need is a power source and a communication channel.
MotorTalk is for All Electric Motors
MotorTalk supports motors ranging from ⅛ horsepower to 300+ horsepower. We are releasing two 1+ hp cores: one rotor-based (rotating) core and one piston-based (linear) core. Our current rotor based core is 90%-93% efficient. MotorTalk language is innovative. It supports various motor cores, power ratings & communication mediums.
MotorTalk is Simple & Powerful
All electric motors do much the same thing - they spin. Existing motor encoders, controllers, and automation are usually limited to on, off, and set RPM instructions. These are usually performed with analog tools. We introduce a digital language capable of instructing electric motors to:
- Perform a single turn or multiple turns
- Slow down or speed up
- Control RPM or power consumption
- Engage break
- Position rotor at a specific angle
An electric motor is able to communicate providing information on:
- Rotor angle orientation
- Current & past RPM turning rate
- Operation & power use schedule
- Core & winding condition
- Maintenance records.
An electric motor can detect bearing and winding wear prior to a catastrophic breakdown and can prevent down time with a timely alert.
MotorTalk connects Electric Motors Everywhere
MotorTalk messages can be delivered over many connection types:
- Wired - USB, USART, Serial & Ethernet 10/100/1000
- Wireless - WiFi, Cellular, Bluetooth & RF.
MotorTalk supports additional features:
- Unique motor identification
- Secure and unsecure channels
- Messages support priority, hashing & uniqueness
- User access & authentication
Electric motors now communicate using high & low latency connections, as instructions and reports carry operation related directives and do not need to oversee low level electrical controls and power manipulations. Authorized users can operate and oversee an electrical motor anywhere, whether its across the ocean, in the middle of the desert, or on the Moon.
MotorTalk - the bridge between Electric Motors & Computer Technology
Electric Motors are the driving force of the physical realm. Computer Technology is the digital realm of decision making, record keeping & analyzing, and interfacing with human users. Until now, both realms had very limited interconnection. We have changed all of that!
There is no limit to the types of computer technology capable of using MotorTalk:
- Cloud applications
- Mobile Phone applications
- Tablet software
- Personal Computer software
- Database software
- IoT server & client applications
- 8, 16, 32 & 64 bit Microprocessors
- Arduino & other platforms
MotorTalk breakthrough provides the opportunity to ask electric motors questions reaching right inside the motor:
- GPS location
- Temperature inside & outside the core
- Power consumption current & past records
- Rotor angular or linear location
- Time & operating schedule
- 3 axis g reading and records
- Maintenance log and records
- Bearing & core physical condition.
MotorTalk is able to transmit power usage rates to an electric motor. A 300 hp electric motor uses this information to vary the output power during peak high and low cost periods, therefore efficiently managing operating costs.
Not a Product but a Movement
We are growing a community, inviting hardware & software developers, application designers, web solutions builders, engineers & hobby enthusiasts to participate. We open all application, communication & sample code for use and improvement. Become part of this exciting Movement!
Efficient, Lasting & Affordable
MotorTalk design limits physical contact between the motor core (stator) and the rotor to just bearings. On board processor provides a precise rotor control and core operation. Awesome 90-93% efficiency combined with longevity and durability of the core is the crown jewel of MotorTalk.
Existing motors require a controller to perform any non trivial operations. MotorTalk incorporates the use of the Computer Technology inside the motor core making the outside control obsolete.
Our Release on Kickstarter
We are excited to manufacture two types of 1+ hp motor core: a rotor-based core and a piston-based core. A rotor core can turn in either direction, keep a specific power level, maintain turn rate, slow down, brake, and provide meaningful reports to the user. A piston core moves shaft in a linear piston-like motion featuring similar abilities. Each core can be powered by DC or AC and can use Wired and Wireless interfaces to communicate. We are launching Wired (USB, Serial & Ethernet) and Wireless (WiFi, Cellular, Bluetooth & RF) MotorTalk electric motors.
Why are we on Kickstarter?
MotorTalk is a completely new approach to operating electric motors. It is cool and awesome. We are opening this technology to you. Instead of licensing or boxing this technology into a specific commercial product, we have a chance to start a movement introducing this language to a wide range of users and contributors.
We need your help in launching, growing, and spreading this project:) Your help matters - support, share, and participate in this project:
The rewards are variations of BLDC Motor Developer Kits. Some are focused on wired, while others are focused on WiFi and Cell to communicate with the motor. Every board includes a full functioning MotorTalk language.
- Designed MotorTalk communication protocol and libraries to operate a three phase BLDC motor.
- Built prototype rotor and piston motor cores and filed US patents
- Designed Mobile and Server applications to operate both cores
- Designed Cellular adapter board and drivers to use Verizon and Sprint
- Built Ethernet, USART, and RF drivers and adapter boards
- Streamline Documentation & Prepare Sample Applications
- Design AT&T driver and support MultiTech HSPA module
- Prepare & Streamline design for manufacturing
- Design BlueTooth Mobile Application & Guide
- Finalize Server & Cloud Daemon
- Reduce PCB Board Footprint
- FCC and IC Certification & Carrier Approval
Future - Summer 2016
- Support Many Existing BLDC Motors
- Design Sophisticated Sample Applications
- Extend Libraries to Support Python, Ruby, Java, and C#
- Open on-board Second i2c Interface Optional Use
- Build Active Community and Grow Involvement
- Advance & Share MotorTalk Technology
Risks and challenges
Ethical Manufacturing & Development
We built the components in the United States to maintain the high quality and ethics. The high costs of development, manufacturing, and support is the primary risk factor. All of our software and hardware development is based in Oregon, USA. Motor core and electronic manufacturing takes place in Colorado and Oregon. This is strictly a financial risk.
Our goal is to build a community and share the technology. We have built two complete motors, filed patents, and only lack an outlet. In order for us to make this technology available to other software and hardware developers, designers, engineers, hobby enthusiasts, and dreamers, a community around this project must grow. Our intention is to open this technology to all. The secondary risk is the inability to build a community around the MotorTalk. This is an involvement risk.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (50 days)