Join the $1,000 Matching Program, 10 am CST Friday 4/27 to 10 am CST Saturday 4/28 - 24-Hours Only!
I was a pastor when I nearly died by suicide. It’s been several years since the darkest days of my life, and I am honored to use my story, plus my experience as a life coach to launch my next book, Catching Your Breath: The Sacred Journey from Chaos to Calm.
People are suffocating. Their lives are in chaos, and they don’t know what to do to find peace. It could be your co-worker, classmate, or the person next to you on the pew this Sunday. It doesn't matter who you are - everyone has a limit.
The truth is, you don’t have to have a mental health diagnosis to have a meltdown. At one point or another, the frantic pace of daily living has dragged each of us to the bottom of the deep end; it doesn’t matter if you’re depressed, anxious, or just plain exhausted. I encounter people on a daily basis who feel completely overwhelmed by the day-to-day struggles of trying to keep their head above water.
Life comes at us from all different directions, and most people find themselves in hard times, needing more than just a simple prayer of faith or a Scripture. Whether the chaos stems from financial strain, spiritual abuse, business responsibilities, or relationship drama, Catching Your Breath is a book about people in chaos from a guy who’s been there.
Would you join me in helping other people feel less hopeless and alone? Every dollar helps me get this powerful new resource into the hands of people who are desperate not to feel so desperate any longer. In the midst of a sometimes chaotic life, it’s normal to feel exhausted. Catching Your Breath is a collection of the ways I have found and cultivated calm.
- "Steve Austin knows the wounds of hell about which he writes so movingly in this book. In the case of every wound he knows, Steve has turned that wound into a source of healing power. That is why he is one of the most mobilized, energized, walking witnesses of New Life I have ever known. Now, fasten your seatbelts and prepare for a hefty dose of New Life for yourself in his words.”
— Rev. Ed Bacon, Author of 8 Habits of Love
- "Steve Austin has done it again. Catching Your Breath is a truth-telling memoir about being truly human. In our “fake-it-till-you-make-it-world” of 24/7 shiny posts that fuel our perfectionism, Austin delivers courageous medicine: we are all broken - and more important, we are all beautiful, valuable, unique, and connected. Instead of hiding, Austin calls us all to the table and asks us to catch our breaths in order to be vulnerable—together. What a gift!”
— J. Dana Trent, author of For Sabbath's Sake
- “What a beautiful gift this book is for those of us living in today’s world. Steve’s wholehearted vulnerability invites us to question the often-glorified and addictive pattern of chaos, constantly going, unhealthy striving, achieving to avoid pain, comparing, and the illusion of control. We get one sacred life and what we do with this time matters. For this reason, I am deeply grateful for Steve’s willingness to share his story as a reminder that we can’t always control what happens in life, but we can often control how we respond to others, events, and situations in life. It is in this subtle shift of control that Steve unpacks how we can ultimately move from chaos to calm along this sacred journey.”
— Holly K. Oxhandler, PhD, LMSW, Baylor University
To publish this book with excellence, I need your help. Here’s my budget:
- Cover design and interior layout: $600
- 2 rounds of professional editing: $1,100
- ISBNs for the ebook, paperback: $325
- Audiobook production: $450
- Marketing: $1,900
- Initial printing set-up and first order costs: $1225
- Total: $5,600
Join me in helping others embrace authenticity, silence their inner-critic, cast off whatever is too heavy, and learn to breathe again. It’s time to leave the stormy seas behind and allow your soul to find rest in the quiet waters of the shallow end.
This additional funding would allow me to invite all backers to a free launch party in Birmingham, Alabama. More importantly, it would allow me take off work from my day job for the first month the book is released to completely focus my efforts and energy on the marketing of this great new resource. When we reach this level, all backers will have their names listed in a special "sponsors" section of Catching Your Breath, and all backers receive the e-book, I Love Jesus, But...
2ND STRETCH GOAL: $20,000
Reaching the second stretch goal would give me the time and funding to turn this book into an e-course, complete with downloadable worksheets and video lessons. It would also give me the funds to host a Catching Your Breath weekend retreat in Birmingham, free of charge to all backers. When we reach this level, all backers receive access to The Writer's Toolkit e-course.
ULTIMATE STRETCH GOAL: $30,000
This milestone stretch goal would allow me to host 2-day book signings and seminars in Birmingham, Chicago and Los Angeles. In addition, I would turn my book,Self-Care for the Wounded Soul into an e-course, and audiobook. When we reach this level, all backers receive a signed paperback, Self-Care for the Wounded Soul.
Risks and challenges
The great thing about this project is that the book's content is complete! I just need to get it into the hands of the pro's, to make this resource ready to publish. Anything is possible in this next phase, but major delays are highly unlikely.
My project is a work in progress, but I've thought through all the possible outcomes, and I'm ready to make this book a reality!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)