Get Green Or Die Trying: Elementary/Middle School Tour
Get Green Or Die Trying: Elementary/Middle School Tour
Mr. Eco is an environmental rap superhero. He needs your help to finish his album and to go on school tour to educate children!
Mr. Eco is an environmental rap superhero. He needs your help to finish his album and to go on school tour to educate children! Read more
About this project
Environmental Rap Superhero Mr. Eco.
- Website: www.MrEcoMusic.com
- YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrEcoCalPoly?feature=mhee
My parody album "Get Green Or Die Trying" is being released (for free) on Earth Day April 22nd and I need funding to finish the album and go on a elementary/middle school tour this spring! http://mrecomusic.com/book-mr-eco
*I am not selling my album because I do not have the permission to do so. I do however have permission under the "Fair Use Copyright Laws" to use the music for educational purposes. (http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html)
List of songs I can perform and links to their videos:
- Reusable Bag: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldq9U4db4QY
- You Can't Find Me In The Tub (only for middle schools if they allow. Video is risque by Mr. Eco standards for elementary schools): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19wy4V_HEgw
- Prince of Fresh Air: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csbu4wXFwWY
- Turn Em Out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjgOtaJ3VeY
- Power: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSmR1XJQJEM
- PSA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGagLbrfi0Y
For my spring quarter at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, I only have class on Monday and Wednesday, which leaves three days a week open to performances for 12 weeks! I have SEVEN schools lined up so far, but realistically believe that once word gets out of my performances, I will be able to schedule at least two performances each week, totaling 24 school performances. My quarter ends on June 8th which is around the time all school districts also get out.
Why am I doing this?:
Because climate change is the biggest problem facing humanity on Earth. I claim to be a superhero but will not be able to save the world by myself. My superpowers are educating everyone, particularly the youth, to live sustainable lifestyles in the hopes of preserving Earth for generations to come. I make "going green" cool and fun in a special way that nobody else can. My passion for the environment stems from my love for wild animals. I grew up watching the Discovery Channel and Animal Planet. I became educated on environmental issues in my AP Environmental Science class my junior year of high school. I launched my first Mr. Eco video on January 21st of 2011 and am proud of what I have been able to accomplish and am so excited about Mr. Eco's future! I also love rap music and am the best environmental rapper in the world :)
There are three districts around San Luis Obispo I have been in contact with and one in my home district in Fresno California.
As of March 17.. I have already visited two schools and have six more scheduled.
1. San Luis Coastal: 10 elementary schools, 2 middle schools. Last day of class June 14th. Main contact: Educational Superintendent Rick Robinet.
2. Lucia Mar: 11 elementary schools, 3 middle schools. Last day of class. June 8th. Main contact: Sustainability Coordinator Erin Inglish.
3. Atascadero: 5 elementary schools, 1 middle school. Last day of class. June 14th. Main contact: Creston Teacher Shannon Ruggiero.
4. Clovis Unified, Clovis West Area: 6 elementary schools, 1 middle school. Last day of class. June 8th. Main Contact: Area Superintendent Jeanne Hatfield.
The schools are willing to pay for my visits, one even suggested the going rate is between $500-$750 for a 45 minute assembly. However, I do not want to have to charge the schools for my services due to the extreme budget situations in California. Once boasting the best education system in the US, California currently ranks 47th out of 50 states in per pupil spending. I have a message the kids NEED to hear but don't want the schools to have to pay for that message.
Budget Breakdown: $10,000
- 24 visits x $200 per visit = $4,800. Money will cover an intern/ hype-man, travel and food expenses.
- 24 visits x $200 worth of merchandise per visit = $4,800. Merchandise will include shirts (organic cotton of course), reusable bags, CD's of Get Green Or Die Trying and stickers!!
Filming of Performances:
- $400 to a production company to film some assemblies and compile a video of the process.
$4,800 + $4,800 + $400 = $10,000
Structure Of Assemblies/School Visits:
I will perform between 30-45 minutes. I am putting my line up together of 5-7 songs (about 20 minutes of performance). There will be crowd interaction the remainder of the time involving a jeopardy-like game (with sustainable facts) and introducing each song with facts on that particular subject. In San Luis Obispo I will focus a lot of attention on Reusable Bags because there was an ordinance passed in the county that prohibits the use of single use plastic bags and charges $.10 for paper bags. The ordinance starts in October of this year. I also like to visit classes after the performance for a more one-on-one setting. Class visits have worked well at the middle school in Fresno I have visited and interacting with the kids is awesome.
I will also be doing lunch visits if the school doesn't want to throw an assembly. I have 4 lunch visits set up in the Clovis Unified School District from March 19-23
The easiest way to see what Mr. Eco is about is by watching one of his videos. Thank you for taking the time to check out my kickstarter page and thank you, thank you, thank you if you help fund the Get Green Or Die Trying School Tour!
P.S. If you know 50 Cent please tell him about me. I am looking for a mentor and have decided I want it to be 50!
Support this project
- (30 days)