Numerous drone development activities show the clear interest in the market. However, we saw that most of the attempts fail to achieve an acceptable flight dynamic. Be it flight time or payload, it just didn't make sense to us to have a device that only flies below an hour and even less with the payload. On the other hand, the ones that achieve satisfying flight dynamics were ridiculously expensive. On top, for each application, you needed a separate drone. For example, one for aerial photography, one for package delivery, one for thermal inspection, and another one for air data collection etc.
So we have decided to make a customizable drone with Software Development Kit (SDK), and with modular hardware compartment. Something that people can directly connect 3rd party hardware and start writing applications with SDKs. This is how we came up with Smartplane as a Plug&Play customizable aircraft with 3rd party hardware and application platform. This enables you to create your own aerial projects and not to worry about the aeronautical and electronics aspects on a drone. Smartplane flies 80 minutes. It can carry your payload up to 300gr when it's simply plugged onto it on USB or Ethernet port.
Do you have an aerial project? Develop and fly it on Smartplane! Or just select an existing option from the hardware store:
Key features and Technology details:
- Unique cutting-edge design: Provides 80minutes flight time (20 minutes more than the market average. Longest Flight times of any airplane under 1kg. Built-in hardware mount, detachable wings for easy transport
- Easy to fly: Manage your autopilot on your Android iOS tablet, phone or on your computer
SMARTPLANE Ground Control Station
- High payload to weight ratio: Smartplane weighs only 650gr and it can carry up to 300gr payload (~50% of its weight)
- Ready to fly: Quick to deploy, comes ready to fly right out of the box
- Advanced software and hardware: State of the art flight controls, algorithms and connectivity, reliable autopilot based on ArduPilot (APM), easy to use ground control software.
- Powerful micro-computer runs on Linux,
built-in 6-axis accelerometer, 3 axis gyroscope, barometric sensor (altitude), air-speed sensor, GNSS high performance positioning module, high speed onboard communication via Ethernet, micro-USB and CAN-port. High quality and performance components and guaranteesPlug&Play configurable hardware
- SDK for 3rd party developers: The SDK makes integration easy. We’re already hard at work on a robust Smartplane SDK that developers can use to integrate the Smartplane with their new and existing applications. Our team has built great SDKs before and we’re excited to do it again. All of the Smartplane dev kits include access to the Smartplane Developer Center, which provides the SDK, technical support, and serves as a community for Smartplane developers. The SDK will include clean well-documented code, samples, and tutorials to make integration with any application as easy as possible. We’re also working on out-of-the-box IOS, Android application code samples, so that anyone interested in working with the Smartplane, including indie developers, can get started right away!
- Safety first: Designed with multiple built-in safety features
We have concepted and developed the flying demonstrator. Our first model was used for the wind tunnel tests.
Following design updates, we have created our first flyable prototype. After tons of flight tests and trials, we have now reached the final flying prototype.
3D VIEW OF SMARTPLANE
Not only we spent all our savings on development, it takes huge investment to get a product into serial production. This is where we need your support!
We will invest your support in serial production means such as molds, tooling, custom structures, and advanced materials. We will as well use it for bulk purchasing the material that will be used to produce your rewards.
You can use Smartplane in many applications. Smartplane provides you a customizable platform, endurance and speed. Below you can see possible application areas. "Environmental and Weather Investigation" configuration comes with the reward: "SMARTPLANE with air sensors integrated". For the others, you need to plug the relevant hardware.
- If we reach 200k$ (1,4m kr), we will send all the Smartplanes with the backpack instead of standard cardboard
- If we reach 500k$ (3,5m kr), we will send all our backers 10% reduction for a future purchase of Smartplane and the hardware store
- If we reach 1m$ (7m kr), we will send all our backers 10% lifetime reduction for any Smartplane related purchases in the future
Having prepared the kickstarter campaign, we have already started working on the next step: "Redesign of PCB". We want to take enough time to answer your questions promptly and also secure delivering your rewards on time.
Below is our project roadmap:
Together we have over 15 years of experience in engineering. We have different backgrounds on aerodynamics, avionics, electronics, software development and production engineering. All that put together, made the SMARTPLANE fly.
We’re passionate about aviation and Internet of Things. Do you also look to the sky any time you hear an airplane or a helicopter flying close by? So we share your feelings :) We make Internet of Things; connecting you to your drone, connecting your experience to the internet. Our vision is to share this knowledge with everybody and enable everybody to create their own aerial project.
Here is the team:
Tomi Piriyev: Tomi studied Aerospace Engineering. As the younger son of an engineering family, he's been always fascinated by airplanes, helicopters, how they fly, and rc planes. He was working as an UAV developer in a private UAV company. Tomi has several original airplane designs.
Maksim Piriyev: Maksim studied Computer Science with master's degree. Was one of the Xbox developers at Microsoft Redmond office in USA. He has several mobile applications on App store. He's specialized on algorithms.
Kaan Ozgen: Kaan has master's in Global Production Engineering. He's specialized in lean product creation processes and he's engaged as manager in new product introduction and industrial ramp-up management in one of the biggest aviation companies in the world.
Tomi, Maksim & Kaan
We are online here on kickstarter to discuss with you on the comments tab. We will consolidate the questions in the FAQ.
Besides, you can always reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Risks and challenges
We have a Risk Management Plan; and the plan is to anticipate by early identifying the risks, and mitigating them completely and/or minimizing their impact.
From the current portfolio; the biggest challenge we will face will be the TIME! As soon as the kickstarter campaign finishes, the time will start ticking. So, we have already started working on our operations and the supply chain network; preparing for the day.
On the other hand, we are working with kickstarter partner institutions. We believe they understand what a start-up is and we know they can support us in delivering our rewards on time.
Another risk that we identify is the additional hardware and development of their applications; which is considerable amount of work. This will not block the deliveries in any way; however it is part of our start-up. As soon as we secure deliveries on time and quality, we will focus on application generation.
Another point is the possibility of legal incursions and regulatory restrictions. This risk we transfer to the end-user as it is the customer’s responsibility to be aware of and abide by local Civil Aviation legislation in the customer’s region and all applicable laws, including but not limited to laws on importation, customs, privacy, safety, aircraft operation, sales, radio operations, license requirements and commercial operation laws. PiriyevAero disclaims any liability for the owner or operators violation of any laws. By selecting a pledge to receive this product and/or operating this product, the customer accepts full responsibility to ensure this product is in full compliance with all applicable laws including regional, local, customs and tax laws. It is the customers responsibility to ensure that all appropriate taxes including but not limited to VAT, sales taxes, importation, tariffs and import duties are paid that may be due. The customer agrees to not hold Piriyev Aero's, its employees or directors liable for any tax or other fees that may be due in any manner.
For any obstacle we don't foresee; we are confident that when it arise we will do what we do best: communicate and solve the issue. We will keep our backers up-to-date every step of the way and maintain an upfront and honest line of communication. Anyway, we will keep you up to date with continuous video messages throughout our journey.
Besides the risks, we continuously look for opportunities too. After PCB re-design and design update for mass production, there is an opportunity that we deliver even longer flight endurance.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)