“An art form that is freely given and always shared can be kept forever.”
Help us honor these words and keep these Appalachian traditions alive by sharing this site with your friends and making a contribution today.
- Filmmakers and Blue Ridge Mountain natives, Vicki Vlasic and Julie Simone, (the Semones sisters) grew up near the town of Galax, Virginia where the world's oldest and largest Old Fiddler's Convention has taken place every summer for the last 80 years.
- Fiddlin' is a passion project the sisters are creating to share the roots and the culture of Old Time Mountain music and Bluegrass music by showcasing the sounds, the characters and the stories that have been generously shared with them.
- The project quickly became a family affair as Julie and Vicki's children, nieces and nephews, sisters, parents and friends pitched in to help. Vicki's son, Willy Vlasic became a cameraman, boom operator and lighting technician and also recruited Liam Gannon, his buddy from film school to help. Julie's daughter, Emily Robb, took on archival research, still photography and press releases. Their mom cooked for everyone while their dad provided his RV for the crew. S. Marie Hannus, a niece, jumped in for additional filming. Recent Duke graduate, Mack Sovereign volunteered for line producer and initial editing. North Carolina professionals, Joshua Ausley, Director of Photography and Tom Hauser, Sound Mixer joined the team as well as Benjamin Cook, Editor, from Los Angeles .
- Widely considered the oldest form of original American music, the tunes heard at the Old Fiddler's Convention have been passed down for generations. This music was created by a combination of Irish and Scottish settlers with their fiddles while the earliest African slaves introduced the banjo into the mix. The music evolved into Old Time music and Bluegrass many years later. These mountain folk pass down their musical traditions, what they call "Hillbilly Music", keeping this Old Time and Bluegrass music alive and well. They also share a fierce determination to win top prize at the Old Fiddler's Convention in Galax, a competition they refer to as their "Super Bowl".
- The project has been primarily self funded with the help of additional producers, Jill Mazursky, Jill Sorensen and Rick Vlasic. The team is well into the editing phase of post-production. With additional costs of color correction, composing, music licensing and film festival submissions still ahead of them, the sisters have turned to Kickstarter to complete the budget requirements to make this dream project a reality.
- Julie and Vicki are gearing up to submit the film to numerous festivals including: Sundance Film Festival, Tribeca. Full Frame, Hot Docs, Berlin International, Amsterdam International Documentary Festival, Cannes Film Festival and many more.
- With your help, Fiddlin' can be seen around the world, bringing together the sounds of these incredibly talented musicians with the sights of the majestic Blue Ridge mountains in the Appalachian range. Both existing fans and newcomers to the genre will delight in the foot stomping fun when Fiddlin' comes to town.
With our most sincere appreciation,
The Fiddlin' Team
Vicki Vlasic-Producer Julie Simone-Director
- Thank you all for your consideration and a special thanks to Kickstarter for giving independent films this opportunity. Don't forget to share our project with your friends and ya'll come back now, ya hear!
Risks and challenges
Successful funding will make it possible for us to have a finished, quality project in time for many festival submissions. We have been very conscientious not to offer rewards that will interfere with the possibility of distribution success or that will limit our ability to meet the requirements of film festival guidelines.That is one reason we specifically do not offer any DVD copies or the option to stream the film. Otherwise, we are in a very good position to fulfill the offered rewards should we become fully funded and see no obstacles to making that happen.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (48 days)