Follow the links below to check out two nice write ups about our project!!!
Valley of the Sunflowers Paper Project
Valley of the Sunflowers Paper Project was formed by three papermaking artists; Dana LeMoine, Rachel Nore, and Kerri Harding. Dana and Rachel are current graduate students in printmaking at Arizona State University while Kerri has her MFA in book making and was recently an employee of Hayden Library working in book binding and conservation.
Valley of the Sunflowers was located in downtown Phoenix. The resulting sunflowers were harvested for fuel. We were generously given the remaining sunflower stalks from the first harvest to make paper and our project was born. This project began with sustainability in mind and we are continuing that theme through our papermaking in using every part of the sunflower.
We have spent a few months conducting research on how to make successful sunflower paper and have finally produced a number of beautiful sheets that can support a variety of art making processes. We were even invited to present our research at an international papermaking conference called “Watermarks 2012” this last October.
The next step in our project is to exhibit local artist’s work on the sunflower paper pertaining to the theme of sustainability. We hope that the outcome of such an exhibit will bring all our research efforts back to Phoenix and the Valley of the Sunflowers while raising awareness of the issues of sustainability in the valley.
Currently, we have 21 local artists who have agreed to participate by making artwork on or with the sunflower paper and we plan to exhibit no more than 25 artist's work. The finished work will be exhibited on January 18th, 2013 at Combine Studios in downtown Phoenix.
HOW DOES KICKSTARTER WORK? When you donate to Valley of the Sunflowers Paper Project via Kickstarter, we only get the donation if we meet our goal. If we don't reach our goal, we receive $0! And you donate $0!
CAN WE EXCEED OUR KICKSTARTER GOAL? Yes!!! If we make more than our $600 goal, we will be able to purchase more materials of a higher quality, produce more, and make this project and exhibition an even more amazing experience! So please help spread the word to anyone who might be interested in supporting our project.
With your support, we hope to make this exhibition a memorable experience.
Your donations will go toward:
- materials to produce a spiral bound notes and recipes book on making handmade sunflower paper
- materials to make more sunflower paper
- materials for installing The Valley of the Sunflowers Paper Project exhibition at Combine Studios in downtown Phoenix including framing and display items
- postcards to promote the exhibition
- shipping costs to fulfill rewards
$1 or more donated gets you something in return! Look to the rewards explanations at the right of this page for more specific details. Backers will receive rewards via e-mail and/or physical mail. Once this project is successfully funded, backers will be contacted and asked to provide contact information in order to get their rewards.
- $1-$50....Sponsorship recognition: this means your name and all other sponsor's names will be printed in list form with explanation and displayed in the art exhibition this January 2013.
- $1-$50...Exhibition photos: digital photos that document the installed art exhibition will be mailed to your personal e-mail account.
- $5-$25...Digital version of detailed notes and recipes on how to make handmade sunflower paper: We've spent months researching the best ways to make a good sheet of sunflower paper and you'll get all of that information e-mailed to your personal e-mail account!
- $50...Spiral bound book of detailed notes and recipes on how to make handmade sunflower paper: You'll get a hard copy of notes and recipes that also includes images mailed to your physical address!
- $10-$50...Handmade sunflower paper: an actual piece(s) of the handmade sunflower paper made by Dana, Kerri, and Rachel will be mailed to your physical address! These are handmade papers with a gorgeous color and texture. Images of the paper can be seen in the video at the top of this page.
For more information about Valley of the Sunflowers (this is the project that helped start our project, Valley of the Sunflowers Paper Project, by donating sunflower stalks), please visit:
You can also visit the following link to get more information about the space that we'll be exhibiting at:
Risks and challenges
The production of sunflower paper, curating and installing an exhibit, and making of materials for a book are time consuming processes. However, my teammates and I have experience with these processes and are confident that we will be able to reach our goals.
With your support we are confident that this project will be successful and enjoyed by many.
Thank you for considering our project!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (22 days)