This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
Painting the California Coast: Volume One
Painting the California Coast: Volume One
840 miles of coastline. 20+ years of exploration. 6 different vans. 100+ paintings. 1 book.
840 miles of coastline. 20+ years of exploration. 6 different vans. 100+ paintings. 1 book. Read more
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
I’ve been working on this book for over a decade. After years of slowly working toward my long term goal of painting the entire California coast, I’ve realized that it’s going to take a lifetime, and even then I will never be truly “finished”. But hey, even though there will always be more work to do, I have already painted a wide range locations in every coastal county of the state and at last I am going to release a large collection of my favorite pieces in this first volume of my life’s work.
But it’s more than just a book of art. Every painting has a story to tell; fences hopped, encounters with friendly locals, battles with nature itself while attempting to paint out on the edge of a cliff in the wind and against all better judgement. These are the stories of real places. They can’t always be told through art alone, and they certainly can’t be conveyed in a gallery show (who reads anything in a gallery?). To put it simply, this book is, without a doubt, the fullest expression of the artwork I’ve created over the last 15 years. I hope you all dig it.
At a Glance:
- 176 Pages!
- Over 2 lbs!
- 157gsm (135 lb.) Luxurious Heavyweight Gloss Art Paper
- 100+ Paintings
- Hardbound Cover
- 9" x 10" - We looked at lots of books. Not too big, not too small. The perfect balance.
- Protective Cardstock Slipcase (NO PLASTIC WRAPPING!)
- Foreword by Chris Ahrens
- Estimated delivery date: November 2018
- Expected retail price after release: $60
The Collector's Limited Edition
I'm fired up for this! What sets the Collector's Limited Edition apart from the regular edition of the book? It's signed and numbered, includes a set of Liner Notes exclusive to this edition, and a rare map of California. There will only be 150 books in this extremely limited edition. See the full description of what's included below...
- Signed and Numbered - The special Collector’s Limited Edition will be signed and numbered (limited to 150) with a specially embossed publisher’s mark on the opening page of the book. Slick.
- Exclusive Liner Notes - This Collector’s Limited Edition is more than just a signed copy of the book though, it will also include an additional foldout of Liner Notes, exclusive to the Collector's Limited Edition. These notes will explain much of the more cryptic elements of the book, including chapter titles and other oddities that I can’t spell out here, but I promise will take the book to a whole other level once you’re clued in to some of the more hidden gems it contains.
- Rare California Map - As a final addition, for the true California aficionados out there, this Collector’s Limited Edition will include a rare map of California that I guarantee you won’t find anywhere else. I discovered it in the dashboard of a fossilized Tesla Personal Time Vehicle that I found partially submerged in a sandstone cliff on a remote corner of the Sonoma coast. It shows the future islands of California (North and South Albion) after the great earthquake finally split them off from the mainland. This map will look downright fancy in your parlor and your high society guests will have no clue what to make of it hanging on your wall. Good fun. Printed on 100% cotton rag archival paper. Suitable for framing at 8" x 10".
Additional Reward Descriptions
- 2019 Calendar - It’s a long story for another time to explain why I’ll have a surplus of 2019 Calendars (it’s not even summer of 2018 yet!), but yeah, I’ll have a pile of these and will be including one with the first 400 books sold during this Kickstarter campaign.
- Personal Signed Copy of Surfer's Journal Vol. 17#3 - Score one of my last personal signed copies of the now out-of-stock issue of The Surfer's Journal from 2008 (Vol. 17#3) that featured a look at one region of California through my art and writing. In a way, this was an early precursor to this book. Paired with a Collector's Limited Edition Book, your bookshelf or coffee table will be feeling quite fancy. There's only a few of these left to be offered! If you are a fan of my art and don't have a copy of this issue yet, but would like one, consider acting fast.
ARTWORK REWARD DESCRIPTIONS
The following reward levels include artwork for your walls to pair nicely with your signed copy of the Collector’s Limited Edition. Why make your walls all jealous of your bookshelf? They hold your roof up all day long, show them some California love! All artwork offered will be framed by my family in our home-garage shop. Even our 7 year old helps where she can. More info here:
- California Canvas Print - Choose from any California coast image on my website here:
These are printed with archival ink on heavyweight archival canvas, treated with UV coating and two coats of hand-applied varnish. Hand-signed and numbered, limited to only 95 prints of any image. Any size (depending on art aspect ratio and original size), up to 1000 sq.in. Framed and ready to hang on the wall. Will ship with your book when they arrive.
- Highway One Special - One Original 20” x 16” Plein Air painting of a California Coast location of your choice. On my next road trip down the length of the state, I’ll paint the location of your choice in “plein air”. These are fun paintings, created outdoors on location, attempting to capture the essence of the scene without much fussing over details or perfection.
See more samples of my “Plein Air” work here: http://mattbeardart.com/artwork/plein-air/
- The California Day - Let's connect in person on my next road trip! We'll make a whole day of it. We'll hike around, swap stories, share a meal or two, go for a surf... pretty much whatever makes sense along the way to choosing a location for me to paint an Original 16" x 20" Plein Air Painting for you while you relax and enjoy the process. Let’s do this this summer/fall while waiting for the shipment of finished books to arrive.
See samples of my “Plein Air” work here: http://mattbeardart.com/artwork/plein-air/
- The Rare Bird - All the same fun as the California Day, but after we're done, I'll head back to my home studio and create a large format original painting of the California coast location of your choice. I only create a handful of these each year which makes these larger (up to 72” x 36”) originals pretty hard to come by. Some folks wait years for them. Not you. I’ll get yours done in the first two months of the new year of 2019. Of course you’ll get your copy of the Collector’s Limited Edition when they are available in the fall, but we’ll connect and get the ball rolling this summer/fall even before the books arrive.
To see more of what sets my studio work apart from my “plein air” work, see other samples of my Studio work here: http://mattbeardart.com/artwork/studio-work/
What Others Are Saying
"As an artist, Beard is grounded in the plein air tradition, yet his work hints at unknowable things, celebrating a fanciful
ocean life rarely encountered since the work of Rick Griffin. Like previous masters, Beard seems to realize that it is not what
we know about the California Coast that lures us there, but the things we don’t know, and will never know. These enigmas
run deep into the fossilized oyster beds pounded smooth by a million north swells before the images appear on canvas,
and leave us longing to know their hidden mysteries.”
-Chris Ahrens | Author
“I first became aware of Matt's work in The Surfer's Journal years ago as a representational artist with substantial chops
and a style that immediately caught my eye, restrained, with solid fundamentals as the underpinning. As I got to know
him we casually painted outdoors a bit, when he was in the area. Then Matt went big with ‘plein air’ and was covering
the entire state! So stoked to see this book documenting such a fertile period in the creative journey from a guy that
can wield a pen nearly as well as a brush.”
-Wade Koniakowsky | Artist
“Matt’s artwork is more than just the beach and the waves. His work invites viewers to become part
of these incredible coastal landscapes. As an artist ambassador for Save The Waves Coalition,
Matt's imagery is instrumental to Save The Waves’ work to compel all coastal users to embrace,
enjoy, and protect these places we love.”
-Gavin Comstock | Conservationist with Save the Waves Coalition
“I’ve witnessed Matt at work first hand all over the California coast, and whether these paintings
are piled up in the back of his van or on the walls in the gallery, it’s a truly unique and incredible
collection. I am beyond thrilled that he has put it all into this book for the world to enjoy."
-Petra Kavanagh | Misfit Gallery- La Jolla, CA
"I am one of those who question nearly everything in life. Matt Beard celebrating the entire California
coastline with his paintbrush is not one of them. In fact he truly is the only
individual I would trust with such a sacred mission.”
-Pierce Michael Kavanagh | Misfit Gallery- La Jolla, CA
A quick word about international orders as you might have noticed this project is only being offered in the US. I'd like to make it available internationally as well, but shipping can be absolutely nutty expensive (we're seeing costs of $50 and up for shipping just one book, yikes!) and hard to predict actual costs in advance, especially 4 or 5 months in advance of when they'll actually be ready ship. But all that said, if an international backer wishes to claim a book today on the condition they will agree to cover actual shipping costs once we're ready to ship the books, we're fine with that.
Still though, maybe the best bet for you folks across the pond or further is to have your book sent to a friend with a US address to pick up, or have them bring, the next time one of you visits the other. Wouldn't hurt to have a nice book to settle into on the long flight, no?
Thanks for your patience and understanding on this.
Risks and challenges
I’ve already done much of the heavy lifting on this project. During the start of the year, when it rains for days on end here on the far northern coast of California, I skipped most of my yearly studio time to focus instead on creating this book. The artwork selections, story-writing, design and layouts are all complete. The text has been edited and re-edited by a great team of razor sharp punctuation slingers. I’ve got printing quotes lined up and selected a great printer to work with at CrashPaper, based out of Playa Del Rey in California, who has been more than helpful in answering a near endless stream of questions about options for this book as I’ve narrowed it down to the point it currently sits: just waiting to pull the trigger.
I won’t know exact quantities to order until this Kickstarter campaign ends, but everything is in place to press that GO button once this thing wraps up. Here’s a rough timeline:
May 24: Campaign ends
June 1: Final Edits (will look again with fresh eyes prior to placing order)
June 7: Finalize Order options
June 8: Place the big Order!
June 15- September 7 (or later if need be): Hurry up and wait for books to arrive, (estimated 3 month turnaround), but in the meantime…plan a series of road trips to complete all the requested paintings along the California coast that backers have pledged for, as well as connect in person with everyone that pledged at the California Day or Rare Bird levels:
September 8: Books Arrive! Chaos ensues while checking quality, making final preparations, final touches, sorting out who gets what, etc.
November 1: Emerge from chaos victorious and Books ship out to backers!
January 1- February 28: Complete any studio paintings commissioned by the Rare Bird backers.
Hooray. I’ll take a nap in March.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- All gone!