OldTown Festival 2015
OldTown Festival 2015
The biggest postapocalyptic festival in Europe. 72h LARP & 3 days of artistic events. OldTown – best party since the end of the world.
The biggest postapocalyptic festival in Europe. 72h LARP & 3 days of artistic events. OldTown – best party since the end of the world. Read more
magine a future a hundred years from now in which humanity is rebuilding the world after a great nuclear war. In the ruins of an old city once called Stargard Szczecinski, the inhabitants of a vault hidden deep under an abandoned military airport decided to create a settlement open to all travelers. It’s an extraordinary place - a safe harbour in a forsaken and ruthless world. For one week of the year you can join our crazy and colorful community and discover all the emotions and energy you’ve been hiding deep inside you in your everyday mundane life. Let’s put it bluntly, since we survived the ultimate war and the fall of civilization, nothing can stop us now. Do what you want - after all the world has already ended and anything is possible! So stop worrying and learn to love the apocalypse!
First, you’ll impersonate a newcomer or one of OldTown’s inhabitants in a unique, three-day live action role-playing game. You’ll have a real impact on the course of the events. You can prevent a war between two factions or provoke it. Maybe you aren’t interested in politics at all and would prefer to take on trading or crafting? It’s all in your hands. And we won’t just let you go back to boring reality when the role-playing part of the Festival ends. When the second part begins you will be thrown into an uninterrupted party lasting from Thursday evening to Sunday morning. It will be full of loud music, epic shows on stage, all manner of engaging workshops, crafting in great company and sport competitions in the arena. After experiencing this incredible atmosphere and meeting new people who’ll feel like old friends, you won’t be able to wait for next year’s edition, to live through it all once more.
We've gathered tons of experience points during years of organising OldTown. It's time to spend them on some new skills. But we need you to help us unlock them at our skill tree.
We want the results of our year's worth of work to be as satisfying to as many participants as possible. So support us! Let's show the world that we share the same ideas and energy. Each time a sales goal for Festival tickets is met, new and exciting gifts from OldTown will be added to the existing reward packages. Now you can level up your ticket by simply buying it and supporting this project!
The first part of OldTown Festival is an unusual role-playing game with a high level of immersion. No one's pretending to live in OldTown - for 72 hours everyone actually lives there. They eat, sleep and breathe OldTown. We make sure that those 3 days are full of action - from political maneuvering to trade caravans on risky missions to vicious attacks by hordes of mutants. We use all the human resources and creativity at our disposal to create a realistic experience, so players don't have to rely on their imagination during a cyborg's nocturnal rampage or while exploring some buildings in the area.
Even more attractions await during OldTown Shows, the second part of our Festival. You can see (and participate) in:
- postapocalyptic sports in the OldTown Arena. They’re more exciting than the Olympics! The league finals of Jugger, the premiere post-apocalyptic sport in the world, take place during OldTown. We also hold a Postapo-Strongmen Tournament which never fails to surprise everyone, including the contestants and the organizers, as well as the Prize Fighters boxing contest supervised by professional judges.
- lectures and meetings with interesting guests from the post-apocalyptic scene – authors of books, board games, crafters and creators of post-apoc LARPs, like Jakub Ćwiek, Michał Gołkowski, Wiktor Kiełczykowski, Claus Raasted, Marek Mydel
- every festival evening is filled with live concerts. We have bands full of nuclear energy like Radioaktywny Świat, Red Scalp and Hospital Waste. After the concerts the fun continues with DJ sets till dawn
- art and crafting workshops, where you can create your own, unique post-apocalyptic costume with help and guidance from professional artists and cosplay creators like Zofia Urszula Kaleta (the Polish winner of Eurocosplay)
- cultural events including theater performances, workshops, fire shows, screening of amateur post-apocalyptic movies. Paweł Jakubowski will present his play, accompanied by live post industrial music
- plenty of contests, both less and more serious; you’ll be able to test your knowledge (on the uber level in the Uber Nerd competition), shooting skills or let your outfit be judged to see if you have the best costume. On top of that, we will host a qualifying tournament for the official Neuroshima Hex Championships of Poland
- fun and games - thanks to their simplicity and originality they are always popular among fans of care-free entertainment. Admit it - wouldn't it be great to play some debris-ball, mass, bloodball, thunderdome, flunky ball or bottle cap throw?
This year OldTown takes place on 20-26th July at an abandoned airfield in Stargard Szczeciński, in north-western Poland. The festival grounds are within 40 km of the Poland-Germany border.
Remember: OldTown Festival is classified 18+ (only people aged 18 or over can participate in the festival).
If you plan to arrive by car, just give your Pip-Boy the coordinates 53.264934, 14.969466 or Tańskiego street in Stargard Szczeciński. From the point where civilisation ends follow the signs pointing to OldTown, they will be painted along the way.
If you want to use public transport, plan your travel in two parts:
Task 1: Get to Stargard Szczeciński
- TRAIN - this is the option we recommend. There are trains from Szczecin to Stargard Szczeciński every 15 minutes or so. Moreover, most of the railroad tracks from south and central Poland go through Stardard Szczeciński. Check it before you buy a ticket.
- PLANE - The nearest airports are in Berlin (150 km), Poznań (180 km) and Szczecin Goleniów (40 km). It’s easy to get from Berlin to Szczecin by PolskiBus. From Goleniów and Poznań the best option is going by train.
Task 2: Get from Stargard to the Festival
- TAXI - say the magic word “OldTown” and the driver will get you there in 15 minutes for about 30 zl.
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT - get on a bus number 8, 19, 20 or 28 and go to the last stop called “Śniadeckiego/Tańskiego”. Get off the bus and follow the arrows painted on the road. Once you’re already at the festival, you can sleep in a tent, a car or whatever you build for yourself. The festival ticket includes a camping spot and sanitary facilities - showers and portable toilets.
11 years ago a group of Polish Fallout fans from Stargard Szczeciński decided to throw a barbecue party. They chose the abandoned military airfield near their hometown as the meeting place. Soon they realised that this place was too perfect to not be used as a location for a fully immersive postapocalyptic LARP. The next time they met, instead of barbecuing, they moved 100 years forward in time and wrote the first pages of OldTown’s history by creating a 24h LARP. Through the years, the team of organizers grew - the only thing they all had in common were dreams of making the biggest, loudest postapocalyptic event the world has ever seen. The background of events that took place during the LARP began to develop on its own thanks to factions from different cities that attended every edition of OldTown and created their own stories throughout the year. At the same time, the second, event-focused part of the festival grew bigger as more rock bands and drama groups appeared to perform on our stage, and our crafting skills became good enough to be shared in the form of workshops. For these reasons, the ranks of the organizers’ team continued to swell every year, with more people needed to help with creating the larp and the artistic program. This year the team consists of more than 50 people. All of them continue to be inspired by the vision of the ultimate event, the OldTown of our dreams.
As you can see, the rewards for your support are on level 2!
If you buy a ticket (on our website or by supporting us on Kickstarter), your rewards will get better! If you get your friends to buy tickets for OldTown - your rewards will be EVEN MORE awesome!
The reward for your support (at €15 and more) is The OldTown Support Kit. The Kit includes a package of post-apocalyptic themed wallpapers for your desktop and smartphone / a unique crafting handbook / a calendar for your computer (with 12 wallpapers) / an article with thanks on the OldTown Wikia / thanks on our website
- If we sell 75 tickets, your reward will hit level 2 and get expanded with: OldTown Festival coverage with extras unavailable anywhere else on the Internet, thanks in the credits and thanks recorded ESPECIALLY for you by the organisers.
- If we sell 150 tickets, your reward will hit level 3 and get expanded with: a handmade chest with the OldTown logo (collection in person at any OldTown event or a surcharge for delivery)
- If we sell 200 tickets, your reward will hit level 4 and get expanded with: a unique poster (A3 size) with thanks from the organisers.
- If we sell 400 tickets, your reward will hit level 5 and get expanded with: a DVD with video footage and two more unique posters.
The reward for your support and purchasing a ticket (at €50 and more) is The OldTown Support Kit lvl 1 + a post-apocalyptic ammo pouch with the OldTown logo and a themed map of OldTown
- If we sell 75 tickets, your reward will hit level 2 and you’ll get (apart from a ticket and the Support Kit lvl 2) the Pocket Survival Credit Card Multi-Tool (that fits perfectly in your wallet)
- If we sell 150 tickets, your reward will hit level 3 and you’ll get (apart from a ticket and the Support Kit lvl 3) a military canteen with the OldTown logo
- If we sell 200 tickets, your reward will hit level 4 and you’ll get (apart from a ticket and the Support Kit lvl 4) a carabiner keychain flashlight engraved with the OldTown logo
- If we sell 400 tickets, your reward will hit level 5 and you’ll get (apart from a ticket and the Support Kit lvl 5) a reusable metal lighter engraved with the OldTown logo
You can also choose THE GOLDEN TICKET. Then you’ll get (apart from a ticket and the Support Kit on the chosen level):
- a post-apocalyptic shelter (no mattress after the end of the world)
- we’ll pick you up from any location in a 20 km radius from OldTown (Szczecin, Stargard, Szczecin - Goleniów)
- 7 vouchers for the OldTown Gastro
- at a chosen point during the festival, we’ll take you on a guided, post-apocalyptic sight-seeing tour
- we'll organise a very post-apocalyptic photo shoot for you
For your PATRONAGE over the Festival we guarantee that every participant, guest and all our supporters and followers on our social media will hear about you and your support for us. Your logo will be featured on all our promotional materials: videos, posters, flyers. You will get to decide on the contents of your very own part in the OldTown aftermovie. A banner promoting your company will be hung at the heart of the settlement - above the entrance to the bar. We’ll set up a post-apocalyptic morris column in the center of the town and you will decide what to put on it. In addition to that we guarantee 5 accreditations for the entire festival.
We have some review of rewards (OT Functional KIT)
And Warlords shelter sketch:
Power generator €1500
Our priority is to buy a power generator. The equipment we own allows us to illuminate only a tiny part of OT and that is not enough. We want Old Town to be as vibrant, alive and spectacular at night as it is during the day. The power generator would also enable us to provide necessary technical support during the action game:
- providing you with information, codes and arrest warrants at any time during the game (connecting a computer and a printer on site),
- dazzling you with special effects (charging the smoke-, sound- and light-generating devices and moving them to distant places),
- documenting all the events taking place during the festival and sharing the images and videos with you online (by charging portable recording equipment - cameras, digital video recorders, etc.),
- carrying out quick and makeshift repair works on essential infrastructure (charging power tools),
- dealing with sudden LARP plot twists (providing our coordinators with a charged walkie-talkie),
- increasing the level of immersion by setting up a keyboard and display in the only place where ancient technology managed to survive (the generator will allow us to connect the hardware),
- controlling the course of the game (charging communications headsets and phones for the coordinators)
Renting a bulldozer €400
We enjoy a post-apocalyptic atmosphere and the most hardcore conditions, but since more of you are coming to the Old Town Festival every year we don’t want your cars to get stuck in the mud. Thanks to your support we would be able to rent a bulldozer and make the festival grounds safer, more convenient and, above all, bigger.
Sound system €1500
Up until now, we have used our own, poor-quality sound system for concerts and other events. It used to wheeze, crack, make strange noises and quite often it just failed to work. But at that time it was good enough for us. Now our festival is attracting bigger and better bands, so we want you to enjoy the music in high quality.
Smoke-generating device €600
Among the greatest attractions of our events were the Wasteland Warriors, who tended to discard successive layers of their armor. After a few days of the action game, what we all really need is to cover this unpleasant sight (and smell) with dense smoke. Another big advantage of the smoke generator is its relatively small price compared to the terrific entertainment and visual effects that can be produced while designing the scenery and managing the concerts.
Building materials €875
We want all the participants to feel the atmosphere of Old Town and succumb to its magic. Each year we build essential infrastructure from the very beginning and each year we need the building materials. Thanks to your support we would be able to put a new roof on some buildings and our plans would not depend on the weather anymore. You would also be able to come across some more intriguing scenery, such as gates, hidden places, outposts in the forest or market stalls in the town.
Lighting system €375
Lets get this straight, whether it’s the LARP or the festival part - the OldTown Festival doesn’t sleep at night. We would like to make the location more attractive and "user friendly", so we need lamps and neons. Every year we hang some christmas lights here and there, but we admit that this is simply not enough. We need proper, professional LED and neon lighting, that will transform our OldTown into a worthy adversary of New Vegas.
Last but not least - we would like to safely store all this equipment so that next year we can show you even more. Unfortunately, our apartments have a very limited capacity, and our family members like to violently manifest their unintelligible reluctance towards postapocalyptic gear lying in the middle of the living-room.
Risks and challenges
After 10 years of organising OldTown we’ve saved the day more than a few times, solved more than a few problems and realized quite a few ideas. We wouldn’t hesitate to call ourselves professionals, but we’ve still got that passion which makes us unstoppable.
Like with many events, our biggest problem is uncertainty regarding the location of the festival and related permits from the city. Of course, we are able to move our festival, there are many abandoned military bases, old bunkers with a post-apocalyptic vibe and unused open greenfield sites. Still, our best option would be buying the current location of OldTown from the city with the invaluable help from you - our supporters.
Our public enemy number two is, of course, weather. If you’ve ever been to an outdoor festival during a rainy summer, you’ll understand what we are talking about. With money from our supporters we could build a solid canopy over some parts of the festival’s area.
The coolest idea would be moving to - let's say - Jamaica. How about that? Next year’s OldTown on the beach in Kingston?Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)