About this project
Infinite Crypt is a new class of laser-cut gaming terrain that we haven’t seen before. It provides modular architectural elements that are solid and sculptural, and can be reconfigured to create all sorts of adventurous locations – catacombs, labyrinths, fortifications, bridges and more.
Rather than whole buildings, Infinite Crypt standardises towards 2″ x 2″ x 1″ elements with which you can build whatever you like. We’re looking to keep the cost right down – because however cool and configurable it is, you need to make sure you can get your hands on LOADS of it.
To make this possible we’re going to set up a whole production process – this means optimised designs, plus a workspace with one or more dedicated laser-cutters.
Infinite Crypt is genuinely architectural – not just blocky shapes with surface texture. Rather than providing fiddly details, Infinite Crypt aims at classic designs – they could be fantasy medieval, they could be ancient, they could be sci-fi. And they stack to work in the third dimension - so you can (literally) take your game to the next level!
Infinite Crypt is robust and customisable, and takes paint and glue beautifully. You can use it unpainted, quickly spray it with neutral dungeon colours, or customise each piece and add your own details.
It's designed to be compatible with terrain products and miniatures you already have, and it's easy to pack away and store. No tabs, no magnets, no connectors – just solid, stable, surfaces that butt up against each other and anything else you happen to have to hand.
Infinite Crypt Sets
We'll supply Infinite Crypt in sets of 10 elements. (The sharp-eyed amongst you may notice that some items count as half an element!) These are some set ideas - but note that we're preparing to develop new sets and elements in response to your ideas and feedback.
Set (A) Corners & Corridors - Basic wall pieces & dungeon templates, perfect for a random encounter!
4 Corners, 2 Long Palatial Walls, 2 Buttressed Walls, 1 Plain Door, 1 Archway
Set (B) Temple of Columns - All the columns, with sweeping arches!
4 Square Columns, 4 Fluted Columns, 4 Plain Pillars, 2 Wide Arches, 2 Archways
Set (C) Grand Hall - When you want a room to feel really large!
6 Square Columns, 2 Palatial Walls, 2 Long Palatial Walls, 1 Ceremonial Stairway, 1 Plain Wall/Dais, 1 Monument
Set (D) Courtyard - A staging ground for your minions. Onward!
1 Ceremonial Stairway, 2 Plain Walls/Blocks, 1 Pool/Portal, 3 Barrels, 4 Buttressed Walls, 1 Dungeon Door.
Set (E) Throne Room - To rule in style!
Set (G) Icons of Evil - Everything you need to get a real feeling of dread!
2 Evil Icons, 1 Throne of Evil, 1 Altar, 1 Tomb, 1 Monument, 1 Giant Face, 2 Square Columns, 2 Palatial Walls
3 Cage Doors, 1 Plain Door, 3 Buttressed Walls, 2 Corners, 2 Plain Pillars.
Set (I) Store-Room - You've got to keep your supplies somewhere!
6 Barrels, 4 Crates, 2 Treasure Chests, 1 Plain Door, 2 Corners, 2 Palatial Walls
Set (J) Fortifications - Quick, to the walls!
4 Barricades, 2 Arrow Slits, 2 Buttressed Walls, 2 Plain Pillars 1 Stairway.
Set (K) Stairwells - Take it to the next level!
3 Stairways, 2 Utility Stairways, 1 Ceremonial Stairway, 1 Buttressed Wall, 1 Archway, 2 Plain Walls/Block, 2 Plain Pillars.
Set (L) Labyrinth - Corridors and corners for tactical battling.
5 corners, 5 long palatial walls.
Set (M) Mine - Dungeon under construction! Or the start of a dramatic mine-cart chase!
6 cross-braces, 4 crates, 1 mine cart, 1 crystal formation
Set (N) Freestanding Elements - Bulk up featureless rooms with key pieces of dungeon dressing and tactical cover.
2 square columns, 2 fluted columns, 3 barrels, 2 stairways, 2 wide stairways, 1 block/wall, 1 altar, 2 crates.
Set (O) Just Doors - Keep minions in and intruders out with these sturdy portals!
4 plain doors, 2 dungeon doors, 2 secret doors, 1 cage door, 1 portcullis.
Set (P) Sacrificial Elements - No vile ceremony would be complete without these essential accoutrements.
2 Square Columns, 2 Fluted Columns, 4 Long Palatial Walls, 2 Corners, 1 Cage Door, 1 Altar
Set (Q) Ten of Anything! - Planning a Colosseum? Have an REALLY extensive plan in mind? Of course you do!
Pick any one element (except Corners, Heroic Arches & Oversized Elements - sorry!) and have it ten times!
Set (R) Eight of Anything Large! - So, you want to go bigger than that, eh?
Pick any one oversized element, including Heroic Arches & Corners, and have it eight times!
Remember, you won't need to finalise exactly which sets and elements you select until just before production starts. By that stage we'll have galleries of ALL the elements we've listed - including those currently in development.
Individual Infinite Crypt Elements
We've now defined around 40 elements, which we'll document here. We'll add more, and include them in set options, as we go along.
As we get input from our backers, Underworld Architects and Infinite Architects will help us to expand the existing range, adding yet more widely applicable elements.
Currently we have finalised:
- Long Palatial Wall (3" width, buttresses at 1" intervals)
- Wide Archway (3" width)
- Cage Door (hinged, arched, with sturdy bars)
- Barricade (2" long, become battlements atop walls or arches)
- 2 Square Columns (with capitals)
- Arrowslit (with handy firing alcove)
- 2 Utility Stairways (1" wide, up 0.5 levels)
- Archway (quite impressive!)
- 2 Fluted Columns (palatial quality!)
- 2 Treasure Chests (for all your loot)
- Evil Icon (every cult needs at least one - branding is so important for bad guys)
- Tomb (suitable for hero, vampire, or cryosleep purposes)
- Altar (equally suitable for holy rites or unspeakable ceremonies!)
- Plain Block/Wall (a no-nonsense titanic block – also can be used horizontally as a dais or construction element)
- 2 Plain Pillars (can also be used as a construction element, horizontally or vertically)
- Corner (buttressed, compatible with all wall sections)
- Stairway (1" wide, up 1 level)
- Buttressed Wall (buttresses at 2")
- Throne of Evil (substantial stone, skull motif)
- Ceremonial Stairway (2" wide, up 0.5 levels)
- 3 Barrels (sturdy, great for cover, or delivery mechanism for explosive materials... who stole that other one?)
- Portcullis (with positionable gate to slam down when appropriate)
- Dungeon Door (hinged, arched, with a barred view port)
- Pool/Portal (deploy horizontally as a mysterious pool, or vertically as a magic portal)
- Monument (impressive 3" column suitable for the solemnest of commemorations. Adventurer tip: keep your supplies on the top surface, safe from rats!)
- Palatial Wall (2" length, buttresses at 1" intervals)
- Crates/Blocks (handy for cover... or for shipping away the artefacts)
- Cross-Braces (Dungeon under construction? These will hold the roof up. Also great for mineshafts, or cast iron beams for industrial structures)
- Plain Door (hinged, arched. Note that all Infinite Crypt doors include ingenious, articulated hinges. You decide which side they're hung from when you assemble the element.)
- Alcove (perfect for guardians)
- Ladder (handy to assist your minions in taking to the battlements, without taking up valuable floor space)
- 4 Plinths (Extend columns, or turn any miniature or interesting object into a statue!)
- Spiral Staircase (Clockwise or anticlockwise, you decide.)
Right now we haven't uploaded pictures for...
- Secret Door (it's a secret!)
- Slabs (plain, 1" x 1", 1" x 2" and 1" x 3" surfaces, to fill gaps or boost heights in 3mm increments, to neaten up complex structures)
- Structural Walls (similar to Buttressed Walls, plainer than Palatial Walls, can be used horizontally for an exotic or sci-fi structural effect.)
We're planning, but haven't yet prototyped:
- ARCH OF THE HEROES! Stretch Goal unlocked at £7500 (This magnificent archway is 3" high and 3" wide and is adorned with a sinister skull keystone.)
- Giant Face (an impressive visage, 2"x2")
- Windows (similar to arrowslits, but less defensible!)
- Square Doors (just like arched doorways... but square! Maybe more suitable for modern & SF settings.)
- Parapets (similar to barricades, but a full 2" wide, with castellated walls on opposite sides. Great for topping defensive walls, or forming the top of a bridge.)
- Flying Buttress (An ideal perch for gargoyles! An oversized element.)
- Table & 2 Benches (Ideal for welcoming inns or monstrous barracks. Can be handy as cover or barricades)
- Bed (Rested minions are effective minions)
Our Underworld Architects will help us create:
- Mine Carts (Obviously, every great adventure needs a mine-cart chase! We're planning to make these with rotating wheels.)
- Crystal Formations (What you're after while you're mining?)
- A Massive Wheel (A crushing trap, an ingenious cover for a portal, or a water wheel.)
- Massive Pillars (Magnificent structural columns, suitable for Dwarven Mines, and more!)
- Dwarven Portal (A massive double portal, Dwarven Style.)
- Dwarven Doors (Chunkier doors with characteristic Dwarven over-engineering.)
All backers above "Henchman" level can order individually specified elements as add-ons. Simply add £3.00 per additional element to your pledge. Please select no more than 5 add-on elements per set you order.
All backers can add to their pledge to secure additional sets at £30 each. Note that it's better value to increase your pledge level to the next named level, if it's available.
You've seen our handy Storage Boxes in the video. They store 30 standard sized elements - but note that Corners and Long Walls occupy 1.5 element spaces. Some elements fit together to save space: for example, you can squeeze small elements underneath Arches. Storage Boxes (supplied as flatpacks which are quick to assemble) are available as an add-on for just £6.
Don't Tell Me, Show Me!
This Kickstarter is all about setting up a production process - if we can scale up, we'll be able to make it more efficient. By running two dedicated laser cutters in parallel, production costs will go down. If we could run three...
- £7,500: UNLOCKED! Arch of the Heroes - A new element on a grand scale, designed to work with and emphasise the iconic pieces designed by our Founding Architects and Infinite Architects. The Arch of the Heroes will be available for all our backers above Henchman level.
- £9,000: UNLOCKED! Free Storage Boxes! - For every 3 sets that each backer has ordered, we'll throw in a free storage box! If you've already included boxes in your pledge, how about choosing 2 extra elements?
- £12,000: **** SCALE BONUS +1 **** - At this level of support we'll be able to run two laser cutters in parallel. All 10 element sets will become 11 element sets!
- £18,000: **** SCALE BONUS +2 **** - Backed at this level we'll be in a position to run three laser cutters in parallel. All 10 element sets will become 12 element sets!!
Risks and challenges
This is the first Kickstarter we've done and, while we think we've thought of everything, the unexpected can always occur.
To ensure that the project definitely works as we describe it, we've extended the time-scale. Originally we had planned to ship by Christmas. We'll still aim at this for our earliest backers, but it's simply too risky for us to make that a promise.
The main point of uncertainty is scale – if we can get one, or two lasers funded, then we have premises in mind. If we get significantly more backing than we predict, then we'll start production while we identify larger premises to house more lasers and maximise efficiency gains.
We've calculated the total amount of work involved at different levels of production quite carefully, and we have friends who are ready to step in and increase our production capacity if it proves necessary.
Fortunately, production risks are minimal. We're familiar with the technology and materials involved, we have a reliable supplier for consistent lasers, and we've already produced prototypes for the designs. Many of the prototypes have been tweaked to eliminate production glitches, and there will be further tweaks as we go along.
Our biggest challenge will be shipping. We've tested the practicalities of packing and postage, but with the multitude of set options, plus add-ons, postage weight will be variable. We're aware that we'll need to send out larger rewards in two packages. We may even take a loss on some sizes of order, to some international destinations – and we've prepared for this.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)