Industrial strength, cloud capable storage management on your mobile
Frustrated you cannot find items in your storage? What box did you pack your autographed CD when you moved last time? YoBox is a solution that will help you. Label your box with a YoBox NFC / QR code enabled sticker, take photos of your things, pack them up, and retrieve them faster and easier when you need them.
YoBox app is compatible with both Android and iOS systems. One of a kind, battery free, RFID-enabled YoBox label can be read by NFC reader built into many Android smartphones. If you have an iPhone or your phone is not equipped with NFC function, you can scan the QR code on the YoBox label to retrieve your info.
Once registered, your YoBox info will be saved onto a secure cloud server. Data is stored on the cross-platform compatible YoBox cloud, so you can update/retrieve your info from a PC, tablet, or smartphone.
App that saved a marriage
Jonathan actually adapted our industrial inventory management system for his own use. But out of his near catastrophic experience, the idea of YoBox was born. We hope we can utilize our RFID and auto-identification expertise and industrial experience to help everyday people. Perhaps, like Jonathan and his wife, we will all find those sweet and passionate moments again.
(Note: Jonathan is camera shy, and “Jonathan” isn’t his real name either. We re-enacted the story with actors to protect his privacy)
How to use YoBox
- Affix custom YoBox label to your box. Each label is unique, with a custom printed design and unique QR code and embedded NFC RFID.
- Use your smart phone to scan the YoBox label on the storage box. After your phone displays the label color, name the box and confirm.
- You can take photos of items right within your YoBox app and write a short description of the item. Alternatively, you can list items without taking photos.
- Put your things into the box
- Your YoBox information will be stored on your phone, ready to help you next time you need to find an item or see what’s packed in a box.
High tech and battery free!
The YoBox app is compatible with both Android and iOS systems. The NFC function on your Android smartphone can read RFID-enabled YoBox label. If your smartphone is not equipped with NFC function (for example, an iPhone), you can scan unique QR code printed on the YoBox label. YoBox labels uses passive RFID technology, so there is no need to worry about battery life on the label.
YoBox labels will help you organize your storage. Each label is uniquely numbered with NFC and QR code. No label – even if they have the exact same design, will have the same number. Our first iteration is color coded to help you easily identify each box in the storage room. Other designs are in the works. And if you are one of the super sponsors, we can work with you to have your own custom design printed!
You do not need to use special boxes with YoBox labels. Put a YoBox label on your existing box, and you can enter item info associated with your box.
Locating an item with YoBox
1. Keyword Search
Type in what you are looking for, and YoBox will tell you which box it is in.
2. Scan YoBox label
Want to find out what's in a box? No need to open the box. Just scan the YoBox label with your YoBox app to see what is inside.
YoBox in CESPlease visit us in CES on January 8th.
Achievement!! Thank you so much!!!
Thank you, Kickstarter funders, for helping us achieve a very successful initial campaign for YoBox!
YoBox started out as our vision of how technology can help every consumer make better use of their available storage space. Because you believed in us, believed in our product and believed in the vision we put forth, we are happy to announce a very successful Kickstarter funding campaign for YoBox. Thank you for helping us reach our $20,000 goal!
We are very excited for the launch of YoBox. Our team is already hard at work upgrading YoBox and adding a variety of services and products to complement YoBox. As one of our founding funders, you will be kept informed every step of the way.
Please stay in touch. We welcome your thoughts and input about YoBox as we continue to expand and upgrade services. Please visit our website at www.MyYoBox.com and leave your comments and suggestions. Thank you for your support. We value your partnership and look forward to hearing from you in the near future.
Who we are
We are a group with over 20 years of industrial application experience. We have supplied remote visual inspections solutions to fire departments, aerospace industries, search and rescue teams, and automotive engineering in the United States and Europe. In the past 10 years, we have worked on industrial RFID and auto-identification solutions. We have built and delivered industrial strength solutions for tracking critical documents in financial institutions, medical samples in hospitals, and hazardous chemicals at semiconductor facilities. We also built active RFID systems for customs and border control in several ports across Asia, and anti-counterfeit systems so consumers can use their phones to verify the goods they purchased is legit.
Our friends and family has always asked "With all these cool technologies you built for factories, why couldn’t you build a system to help find lost things in the house?" Well, their questions are answered.
Limited edition YoBox MEOW! labels
To thank our Kickstarter early supporters who sponsor more than US$25, we have designed a set of limited edition, Kickstarter only MEOW! labels. Aren't they cute? We hope they will help you keep track of your things.
Custom made YoBox storage box
Hate filmsy moving boxes? Shipping boxes crumble when they are stacked? We understand your pain. We used to hoard computer boxes to use as storage boxes. So, we found a box manufacturer who makes those super sturdy computer boxes for the world's largest computer brands. We then asked them to design the box specially for us so they are
1. Easy to put together and seal. No tape required.
2. Is sturdy enough to be stacked in long term storage.
3. Easy to carry and move.
4. Is secure during transit so no one can touch your stuff.
5. Can be sealed again after opening.
Proposed size: 550 x 410 x 320mm
Want to see how to put the box together, seal it, open it, and reseal it? Visit www.myyobox.com
Your support is needed to raise US$20,000 so we can have YoBox app completed, YoBox cloud storage setup, and custom YoBox NFC labels printed and made.
However, there are additional functions and capabilities we have discussed, but could not complete within a US$20,000 budget.
If support reaches US$30,000, we will built off-line mode on PC, so you can be assured in a doomsday scenario when internet ceases to function, you can still manage your items from your phone and your PC. We will also build a function so you can print out your storage catalog when even electricity goes out.
If support reaches US$40,000, we will add even more functions:
1. Network Share Function: Got family, friends, colleague helping you? Share YoBox info within the designated network so they can pack or unpack with you.
2. Privacy Lock: Don't want to burn love letters from your ex? Collectible man's magazine signed by the covergirl? We keeps things we rather not let our closest ones know about. A selective lock function will be added to YoBox so you can lock items from prying eyes.
If support reaches US$50,000, we can add an additional set of YoBox label design. We will give you the choice to choose either the color coded labels or the new design. Mix and match in 10 label increments if you like.
If support reaches US$75,000, we can integrate OCR function into YoBox. OCR can automatically recognize text printed on CD covers, books, and other things. Text can then be captured directly into your item list.
If we are very lucky, and support reaches US$100,000, we will add image search capability to YoBox, i.e. the ability to use a photo to search items. Image processing and comparison has gotten very good in recent years. Google and Amazon both have this type of function build into some of their offerings. Unfortunately, we are not Google or Amazon, so we need to pay a lot of money for image processing experts and buy computational power to enable this function. We think this is a super useful function, so we hope we can eventually build this into YoBox.
For more information
Please visit www.myyobox.com
Risks and challenges
We have years of experience integrating software and hardware, and as you can see from our pictures and videos, the prototype apps are already in alpha. We foresee very little roadblocks that would hinder our ability to finish the project.
Nevertheless, this is the first time our team is building for consumer requirements, so there may be unforeseen challenges. We have traditionally be given very defined requirements in industrial applications: known environment factors and known processing requirements. While we believe we have identified and resolved many potential obstacles, we cannot predict all future challenges. In particular, we have at least two challenges we are working to overcome:
1. Every attic, garage, basement, or warehouse is different. We understand that your storage condition can be very different in temperature, light exposure, and humidity. In fact, from our research, some storage conditions can be quite extreme. We are working with the print factory to make sure YoBox labels and the embedded NFC can withstand reasonable storage environments for extended periods of time. Given our experience with harsh industrial environments, we think getting the performance is not challenging. Keeping cost reasonable so we won't lose our pants will be challenging.
2. Because popular smartphones like Apple's iPhone doesn’t provide NFC in reader mode, we have to use QR code to provide the identification functionality. It is not elegant, but to make sure everyone can use YoBox, it is necessary. Unlike NFC and other RFID technologies, QR code requires line of sight - i.e. the QR code needs to be legible to the camera. While we will used the best material and printing technology we can afford, QR code can still be damaged by environmental elements such as extended sun exposure (UV light), extensive water exposure (flood), etc. We will attempt to make the durability of QR code as good as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)