Galactic Domination Online
Galactic Domination Online
An epic space strategy MMO set in the Galactic Third Age. Colonize, conquer, trade, research. Forge an empire from the rim to the core.
An epic space strategy MMO set in the Galactic Third Age. Colonize, conquer, trade, research. Forge an empire from the rim to the core. Read more
About this project
Galactic Domination Online is a massively multiplayer, free to play, browser based game aimed at the social media gaming space. It is a game rich with lore, cooperation and competition from thousands of other players, beautiful original artwork, with deep strategic complexity and a simple to use interface.
We have decided to introduce more rewards to our existing levels. We call it “GAME BOOSTS”. These boosts will exist for the game account created by the backer for ALL instances played by that account. We cannot edit the rewards levels directly once the project has been launched so we've added this graphic. Read Update 9 for more details on the rewards. Enjoy!
- Pop = Starting population boost
- L1 tech = Level One Technology Research free for the backer to choose
- L2 tech = Level two Technology Research free for the backer to choose
- GC = starting Galactic Credits boost
- Ships (Frigate, Destroyer, Cruiser, Battlecruiser, Battleship) = In addition to the standard scout ship, the backer will start the game with the backer level corresponding bonus ship – a surviving remnant of the First Age with No population, Logistics, or Command & Control requirement costs associated with it. It will be fitted with all standard level 1 systems.
- Happy = A permanent boost to the happiness of your population on all colonies.
- Elite Soldiers = A permanent boost that gives all soldiers +1 to their training level at the time of conscription.
GALACTIC DESIGN & FEATURES
Visit the Galactic Domination Online game preview page on our website to see game artwork and read more detail on the playable races.
- Race customized User interface. Your view as the leader of your empire. Watch the news ticker, scroll over each leader for important updates from their AOR, click them to proceed to their localized command page and issue orders.
- Intelligently generated perpetual game play environment. Each game instance is unique.
- Character building. You play ship captains, colony governors, research scientists and field generals and can advance their skill sets and bonuses.
- Four playable races, all at odds. Human, Kirzaka, Navitas and Silex.
- One mutual enemy. The Core, who are tougher than steel, technologically superior and have the death of all biological races irrefutably hard wired into their kernel
- Ship Classes. Currently, there are 20 ship classes for each race. Fly them with a captain.
- Configurable Ships. Ships can be constructed on a base class design and equipped with any number of available systems and technologies
- Technology research. Many technologies with deep levels of research advancement to unlock. Discover them with a research scientist.
- Armed Forces. Build, equip, and train armies. Lead them with a general.
- Colonies. Establish and build new colonies or conquer existing ones. Mine resources, construct buildings, manufacture, grow your population. Manage them with a Governor.
- Alliances. Recruit other emperors of the same race and manage your federation, kinship, coherence, or union.
- Diplomacy and Trade. Declare war, negotiate peace, and initiate trade agreements.
- Strategy. Configure ships and fleets to behave your way in battle. Manage ongoing battles for control of colonies.
- Communication. Send messages and make declarations between leaders.
- Notification. Configure your Comms officer to contact you with urgent news.
- Fame and Infamy. Build your reputation into that of a hero, or become despised as a traitor. Your reputation affects how others will be able to interact with you.
- Win. There is an endgame to each galaxy. Defeat the machines, capture, and hold Core Prime. There can be only one.
Welcome to the dawn of the Galactic Third Age.
A few worlds of each space-faring race have survived the dark time of the Core Annihilation. Amongst these are the versatile Human, the aggressive Kirzaka, the cerebral Navitas and the industrial Silex. All have memories of the prosperous empires forged in the First Age, but nearly all has been lost. A new and unexplained force now defends the remaining non-machine ruled worlds at the galactic rim. Something unknown has devastated the massive attack fleets, disrupted and disorganized the automatons of the Core. Though they still occupy the worlds they have conquered and cleansed, their aggression, at least for now, has abated. Your people have discovered that you have been altered: your generation has ceased to age. You are a born leader. You have crawled out of your cave into the dawn of a new age, and have made it your mission to pick up your downtrodden people, venture back into the stars, reunite your race, rebuild an empire, and wreak vengeance on the Core for a thousand years of genocide. It is clear that you must beat the other races to the heart of the galaxy where you will defeat, capture, and hold the power that awaits you in the galactic core.
COOL QUEUE STUDIOS CREDIBILITY
The CQS Galactic Domination Online team three central characters have more than 150 published software titles in their combined careers and more than 75 years of successfully managing and developing software projects to their credit. Because each team member has spent a number of years in the DoD workspace, some of the titles cannot be named, but HERE is a list of more than 100 we can share. Galactic Domination Online is a game we’ve always wanted to develop. This is the software project of our dreams. Our experience, knowledge, dedication, and desire will drive us to success.
The CQS team has been working hard on Galactic Domination Online for more than two years now.
- We've published a thorough and detailed game design
- We’ve completed a Level of Effort analysis to determine tasks, man hours, and cost
- We’ve built a scalable agile project plan to manage our project development
- We've built a galaxy generation tool that ensures every game instance, every galaxy built to play in, will be a completely different experience for our players.
- We've coded the technological foundation of the game, basic task queue monitoring and communication services.
- We've built a database schema that ensures security and fast access to all the game data from services and client calls.
- We’re 15% complete on building functional game pages
WHAT IS THE FUNDING FOR?
Making real games is expensive. Most major titles have budgets in the multi-millions. We have a lean and focused team that can accomplish our goal for the 600k we have identified in less than one year from the funding point. We have generalized our hours estimates for this venue.
- Art. Tons of it. Here is a summary of our Artlist document.
o 1000 man hours of Interface Art
o 3000 man hours of Character Art
o 600 man hours of Ship Art
o 1000 man hours of “Scene” Art
- Game Services. 2000 man hours of effort. Ship Combat, Battle, Research, Colony Maintenance, Sensor Detection, and Navigation services still need to be coded.
- Full Page Connected Functionality 1500 man hours of effort
- Content generation. 1000 man hours. Bios for all LDVC characters, story arcs for encounters, and LORE.
- Web design implementation 500 man hours of effort
- Test, Evaluation, & Refactoring. 500 man hours. No one likes it, but if you’ve ever managed a software project you know how necessary it is.
- Technical Services – Hardware and high-end hosting for high traffic performance, load balancing and failover services.
Cool Queue Studios needs to hire a web design implementation specialist and four Graphic Artists with mixed skill sets for this project. All three team members have been working on Galactic Domination Online in their free time. Ideally, we would transition to the GDO project full time which, in turn, would accelerate the development schedule.
If you are unable to back us via Kickstarter's Amazon Payments we have added a link for Paypal donations. We will reward all Paypal donations at the same reward level as Kickstarter donations.
Risks and challenges
We have minimized risk by:
1. Careful examination of the detailed game design document that we have already published.
2. This has allowed us to produce a more accurate LOE (Level of Effort) document, which tells us the hours and dollars needed to complete each piece of the project.
3. From that, a detailed project plan was created for use with agile development methodologies.
4. By using SCRUM sprints to build out the pieces of the game, with core technologies first, and "expendable" assets last, it ensures that even if something unpredictably bad happens, expendable pieces can be cut and the game will still be completed.
The greatest challenge we face is and has been finding the graphic artists that have the talent and style we are looking for. With a budget provided by you, the Kickstarters, finding GA's that will work for equity is no longer a problem. We can offer them real money.
We are old gamers with tons of experience, and more importantly, with tons of successful software projects under our belts. I personally have almost twenty five years working and managing inside the SDLC (software development life cycle). Our two contributing technical advisers combine for more than an additional fifty. When it comes to software projects, we have been there, done that, and delivered the goods to the satisfaction of all.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
The scale will be variable. The Galaxy generator tool depicted in the image above can generate truly gigantic playing fields right now. As we develop the services that support it, we will better be able to determine what kind of load our software and servers can support in terms of maximum size. Whatever those limits turn out to be, we intend to create small / medium / large galaxies to play in that will translate to game durations that vary from months to a year. The ultimate goal is to create an Epic size galaxy that might last forever.
To specifically address "Browser based social media"... The interface is being developed in HTML5 and php. The specific browsers that we are aiming at initially are Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and IE. That should make it operable on a wide range of platforms including Apple OS, PC Windows, Linux, and mobile.This game will run from an independent site. It has an interface designed for, marketed on, and compatible with Facebook.
When this project threatens to be over-funded, I will get more specific, but for now here they are in very general terms.
1) A little over-funded: More artwork. It's funny, people in general, including some media, look at the 6,000 hours for art and say "holy crap!". People in the industry, particularly artists, look at it and scratch their heads and mutter "that seems a little low". The reality is that we are targeting having three artists working full time for a year, plus a little wiggle room for additional artists who want to submit their work on a "pay per piece" basis.
2) Moderately over-funded: Movies. Animations. The base game is one designed to provide a variety of very cool SF art stills. It would that much more awesome if we could integrate a series of short animations to play in key and meaningful game moments. The top end of moderate might allow us to employ an engine that actually generates movies based on battle results so that you, the leader of your empire sitting safely on your home world, can watch the after action review from a LDVC spy drone view.
3) Largely over-funded: My team really wants to make an Apple IOS application that will interface with the game so It can be played on iPads (and/or Droid OS). That means a lot of new coding as well as artwork in a different language... etc. Play from a browser OR play from an app would be pretty cool. "I can't stop thinking big" - Rush, "Caravan".
Support this project
- (50 days)