About this project
You know your Kickstarter Campaign is getting attention when you have to change your project's name to avoid lawsuits ( fodder for upcoming episodes). Yoga Schmoga: The Series working title is NOW "OM City: The Series". Thanks so much for your support!
OM City explores the yoga world in New York City through the eyes of a yoga teacher, Grace, our whimsical protagonist.
Grace is not a perfect yoga goddess by any means. She struggles in the pursuit of happiness as she negotiates the all too often incongruous reality that comes from integrating the spiritual with the economical.
Think if "Girls" (HBO) had a child with "Broad City" (Comedy Central) that was raised by Noah Baumbach ( Francis Ha, Greenberg).
OM City came out of a desire to combine our love of storytelling with our passion for the practice and study of yoga. We are both yoga teachers as well as actors / filmmakers. When we've seen yoga depicted in film and TV it's aways very broad and over the top. We think the world of yoga is an untapped resource with rich potential for compelling storytelling. Our intention is to bring a realistic depiction of the yoga community and culture to viewers- with nuance and authenticity. We want to show it all: the funny, the bizarre and the amazing aspects of yoga and spirituality in NYC in a way it has never been shown before.
We are raising funding for an 8 day shoot and edit of eight 4-8 minute episodes to put online. We've already shot a teaser video for the series ( you can check it out below).
We shot this teaser in three days. It was made possible by the efforts of a very small but hugely dedicated cast and crew who donated their time. We paid for the expenses ourselves with the help of some generous donations from close friends and family. For this next phase of the process we are looking to raise funds to pay our cast and crew as well as pay for equipment rentals, locations and post production for a FULL SEASON OF THE SERIES.
We already have a very talented and experienced production team and actors in place, scripts are written and ready to go. We are thrilled to have such incredible folks in the mix.
ALL WE NEED TO START PRODUCTION IS YOUR SUPPORT.
Jessie Barr - Co Creator / "Grace" / Producer
Tom O'Brien - Co Creator / Writer / Director
Massoumeh Emami - Producer
Scott Miller - Cinematographer
Nick Houy - Supervising Editor
Elena Brower ( herself ) - Mother, yoga & meditation teacher, speaker, and co-author of Art of Attention. Elena has been featured in the New York Times, Yoga Journal, Element Yoga for Beginners DVDs, ABC News, CBS News and NBC News and taught all over the world from the MOMA to the Eiffel Tower.
Your donations will go to
1. Cast / Crew- Although Jessie and Tom will not be taking any payment all actors and crew will be compensated. A wage per day per crew member- even though we will keep the crew small and multifaceted as we did with our teaser shoot - will actual end up being the majority of our budget. Crew includes our Producer, Cinematographer, Editor, Sound, Assistant Director, DIT/Assistant Editor, Focus puller/Cam Dept.
2. Equipment - Rentals / Drives / tech needs
3. Locations - Even while writing with borrowed, public or donated locations in mind we still have a few locations that will cost us to use including a restaurant scene. Originally we shot a test of the scene in a coffee shop that we transformed into a restaurant. Even with shooting during off hours we have to pay for transforming the space from coffee shop to restaurant as well as pay a fee for use and for cleanup.
4. Post Production - Color correction / sound mix
5. Miscellaneous Expenses - Food. Sounds silly but it's expensive to feed and hydrate a cast and crew 2-3 meals a day for eight days, even if everything is Trader Joe's. Gas. Paying for gas for equipment transport for 8 days in NYC.
THANK YOU for checking out our campaign and helping us spread the word. Truly, any and all donations are deeply appreciated. This is a dream coming true and we can't wait to share it with you. Stay tuned!
* SPECIAL THANKS to Dennis Rainaldi, Dan Bricker, Greg Kozatek, Nick Houy, John Clouse, Jenniffer Muniz, Torrie Armstrong, Maryann Plunkett, Elena Brower, Ean Sheehy, Paul O'Brien, Cameron Pow, Preston Martin, Lena Hudson, Scott Baker, Vella Lovell, Crystal Dawn Froberg, Andrea Keh, Stacy Anuttara Newfeld, Amy Dawning Star, Roger Greenawalt, Chris Baliwas, Bentley Meeker, Gregg Swiatlowski, Kevin Alger, Garth Stevenson, Beverly, The Farewell Circuit, Crystal Fighters, Art of Attention TT ladies, Sarah Stone, Fred Rich, Marjorie Nass, Yoga To The People, ABC Sanctuary, Harbor Picture Company, Virayoga, In Pursuit of Magic, Yoga Vida, Twisted Trunk, Lululemon Soho, Bruce McEvoy, Julia Snyder, Laura Rosberg, Robert Torti, Rosemary Sullivan, Adriana Rizzolo, Dominique Kalata, Joseph Diaz, Nancy Barr, Kevin Barr, Donna O'Brien, Joseph F Martinelli, Michael Lin, Sol Full Yoga, Sherman Telis, Alexandra Cohen, Megan Doll, Laura Rotter, David Nickeson, Rosemary Barr, Michael Brun, David Miller, Barbara Bares, Elizabeth Bilus, Anastasia Olowin, Ethan Paulini, Carol Miller, Jago Yoga, Mary Mazzone, Lindsay Simmons, Priscilla Nickeson, Adam Pirani and Michael Stefanski.
Risks and challenges
Although there are inherent risks and challenges with any creative endeavors we feel we are fully capable of handling them through completion of this project. As a filmmaker Tom has already completed two independent feature films (Fairhaven and Manhattan Romance) which have successfully played festivals, received awards and distribution deals. As a team we have already successfully shot and edited the teaser that helped us jump start this process and we feel as a team that we have been and will continue to be resourceful and resilient in the face of any and all challenges.
DISCLAIMER: "Yoga Schmoga - The Web Series" is neither sponsored or approved by nor affiliated with YogaSmoga brand of yoga clothingLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)