Update5: Extra FREE reward for super backer! Check it out in our newest update#5!
Flownote is a connected-page notebook/planner designed to be a better fit for all creative minds.
- 12 meters long connected page.
- Including two wipeboard page for doing drafts.
- Including two supporting frames, such that the notebook can stand up. Great for group discussion.
- B5 size (245mm by 180mm), hard cover, with PU soft material.
- Doted grid page, great for drawing as well as common writing.
- Including magnets to do smooth opening and closing.
- COME WITH AN EBOOK SHOWING YOU ALL THE COOL THINGS YOU CAN DO WITH FLOWNOTE
Flownote has so many potential applications, here are some examples of what you can do with it !
One of the coolist applications about flownote, is to grow idea tree :)
Idea tree is an extremely long tree diagram, that is extremely helpful for creative thinking. But It does take some learning and practice to master the techniques. In a word, to use tree diagram way of thinking is like growing a tree. Our PDF ebook has more details on how to grow an idea tree. And the ebook is free!
And Flownotes is more than just a notebook, it is a patch of soil where the seeds of your brilliant ideas can be nourished into beautiful trees, and bear many fruits.
Step one: Create a seed.
Got a great project in mind? Awesome!
Analyse your project, find the most fundamental aspects, and write them down evenly spaced.
Take my flownotes project for example.
- Obviously, I need to work on the structure of the notebook. That is, the engineering aspect.
- At the same time, I need to work on its functions, the features of the notebook. That is, the user experience, and selling point.
- And I also need to give myself an overall plan for how important this project is to me, and how much energy I want to invest.
And whala!! I'm ready to plant my seed :)
To plant a seed, you need to leave enough space for each aspect, make sure they won't crush each other too much in the future.
Step two: Nourish your idea
You got the seed in place? High five:)
To nourish your ideas,
- First, place your design details as brain storm beneath the tree, as water and fertilizer. Needless to say, the more the better.
- Then carefully select and extract the most valuable things to add onto your tree.
- As tree grow, you might want to start trimming. Just stop nourishing the wrong branch, or put a "pause" on it.
- Try to be concise about the things you put onto the tree. And I strongly recommend pencils for the first few trees you grow.
Little tip: Don't put too much details to onto the tree too fast ! You can't expect a seed to grow into a tree in just one day!
Step three: Bear fruits
Time to harvest? Cheers!
As the tree grow, there will be the answers to questions, solutions to problems, winners of candidates, finalized design details. When they start to converge and piecing together. Be a good judge, and help the fruit to form! To do this, you need to
- Know what you are looking for. Branch out new ideas is natural for human brain, but converging them to form outcome is not an easy task. Keep tracing back to the roots every time you want to add something new is of great help
- Sometimes we've gone too far to remember where we are going and where did we come from. So make yourself a small compass is helpful. I made mine with two poles. "according form (where I came from)", "A notebook designed to be a better fit of human thinking (where I'm going) "
- Always look back and forth along the tree, always judging your true course with compass. You will be able to find results when your tree yields them, and converging all the results and essences. You get your fruits.
- Your precious!!
Fruits are the final products of your project. They are finalized, but might not be perfect, select the best one, and give it a bite !
Step four: What? There are more steps?
Yes, there is more.
Remember, inside the sugary juicy meat, each fruit contents a new seed!! Learn from the merits and drawbacks of the previous tree to get a new seed. Plant it, and let it grow into a new tree!
And when generations pass on, you might find a school of products that give birth to a new brand; A group of prototypes that finally leads to a perfect marketable product; A series of answered questions give birth to new theory;
And that will be another seed worthwhile planting!
Flownote can be used by individuals as well as groups, because many times, a great project need precise cooperation between different people.
Start the project by drawing a grant map of threads, and each people can take on different aspects or a node of the net work, then piece them back onto the grant map. In this way, people can know exactly what others are doing, and how their works will fit together.
This will be even cooler if we can form a flownote community on kickstarter, such that people can work together closely with great precision, just post your plans, your idea tree, people might start to brain storm with you, and others will keep build on their ideas, I'm so eager to see what we can actually achieve!!
Planner is more than just keeping records, it's about motivation
There are tons of planners in the market, which use forms to keep all kinds of records according to date and such. But they never offer vivid demonstration of what you are actually achieving.
Plan follow up
With flownotes, you can branch out your plans, can write down new details of the plan, or follow ups of how the plans are actually played out.
Flownotes is not just your record book, it's yourself reflection. Do sum ups on your original plan, see what are the out comes. Are they too hard too carry out? Are they serving your original wishes? We make plans and goals, but many ambitious plans will be dropped by the following week. Not because we are week in mind, it's just, they need to be adjusted, and flownote will help.
Curves to cheer you up :)
Curves are more intuitive campared to mere data sheet. Moreover, you would lost track about how you been doing for the past days, if you don't look back into your older records, and therefore becoming less motivated about your goals.
However, with the flownote's connected page, you can now draw curves! Curves that go on for pages. Your performance for the past have never been so vivid. Just imagine all the motivation you're going to get from the breath taking curves stretching for meters !
Just give yourself a vertical axis and a scale, and then you can start draw your curves according to dates or other horizontal axis. Simple like that.
And you can draw multiple vertical or horizontal axis or different scales, then you will have many curves in the same frame. Like "water in take", "running miles", etc. to see the connections between them, and thereby to know yourself better.
There are more details about all kinds of possible applications with flownote in our ebook, and the ebook is free!
The structure of flownotes is not completely new. Artists have been using accord notebooks for painting and sketching for a long time. And ancient Chinese administrators had been using a similar thing called Zhezi (It means fold) to write official reports to the emperor for centuries. The emperor had a lot of decision to make everyday. And since Zhezi can be extend out and give the whole picture of the report, it is quite efficient to read. Therefore letters between common citizens were often written in the form of Zhezi.
Zhezi is also perfect for writing. Wide interface, no biding, no repeatedly cutting, just write and fold. It is a combination of both beauty and convenience.
But above, what Zhezi inspired the flownotes the most, is the spirit of being free. Free from boundaries and limited space, a spirit worthy of sharing among our modern world.
Open up and stand:
2 folds stand: Release the stand, then move the free page to the inner place of the notebook cover, where you will feel a click of the magnet.
4, 6, 8..... folds stand: Release the stand, then simply leave the pages you want to display in the middle, and open wide up.
What are stand up frames for?
Stand up frames make the notes easier to read, and it occupies less room of your desk.
It can be used as reference book when you are working on the computer, no more looking up and down, it's just easier on your neck.
It's great for group work, share your marvelous idea tree with your friends, do group brain storm.
With the pages:
Please do not to tear the pages for obvious reasons. But we understand sometimes people regrets about what they've written, and tends to tear down the pages. That's what the wipeboard page is for :) If you are clearly aware that you are working on something temporary. Do it on the wipeboard page :)
- We have partner in Shenzhen China arranging the manufacturing. Yes, our contractor will be oversea contractors to keep the price low. Although many people don't trust made in China product, we will look into quality control very closely. After all, the quality standards for notebooks are quite straight forward.
- Here are the step by step time:
- It takes about 2 weeks for funding collection
- Finalizing the design according to the suggestions from the backers, and sort out the order details based on the rewards. About 2 weeks.
- Reconfirm the contract with our manufacturer. Then the manufacturer will arrange the time window to make our notebooks. It is very unlikely we will be next in line immediately.
- Start manufacturing. Once it begin, it takes about 3 weeks to make 1000 notebooks according to our manufacturer.
- Quality control and flawed products replacement.
- Packaging and shipping. Plain mail shipping, time will depend on the region.
- Add some buffering time just in case.
So, we should be able to start shipping by June or July.
About the team:
John is the product manager and designer of flownotes. Other than flownotes, he works for international trading company as sales representative as well as technician. He has a Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering and great passion for entrepreneurship.
Like every other creative person, John always has brain storms going on in his head. However, his old notebook just can't do the job. No room for his exploding ideas, hard to pick up the left over work. Quick with action and determined in mind, John gathered his friends and started the "flownotes project", as you've seen today.
Flownote is not just a notebook, it is a new way of integrating our thoughts, and help us make the best use of our geniuses.
Help bring flownote to life, and let flownote help you to bring your creativity into reality :)
Give it a try, and you will know, it's awesome.
Thank you so much :)
Risks and challenges
1. We will try our best to keep up the schedule, but things do go wrong sometimes. So there might be delay with the shipping.
2. For backers in USA and Canada, international shipping won't be a problem, since the notebooks will be shipping in by waters, then redistribute to each backer. That's why the shipping fee is relatively low.
For backers in other countries, the shipping is relatively higher. We are trying to figure out ways to reduce the shipping costs. Hopefully we will find some good re-distributor in Europe.
3. We are planning doing more than one campaign, so our backer can always find us here on kickstarter if you want paper refill, suggestions, or want to order more notebooks.
- (40 days)