Step By Step is a gentle introduction to computer programming and robotics for K-3 students. Through a simple set of fun exercises Step By Step exposes young students to logical thinking, planning, organizing, navigating, looping, branching, and other foundational programming and robotics concepts .
What? Why do first graders need to know about computer programming? Well in answer to that, consider that computer science is at the heart of all the gadgets and technology we use, yet teaching it to our students is almost non-existent. But don't take my word for it, there are people much smarter than I who are saying the same thing. Here is a short list of recent articles and papers concerning computer science education for K-12 students;
- Overhauling Computer Science Education
- Should Computer Science Be Required in K-12
- Running On Empty:The Failure to Teach K–12 Computer Science in the Digital Age
It's important stuff, it really is.
We currently have a limited set of completed Step By Step cards and floor tiles and we are judiciously offering them to early adopting individuals, schools, and school districts. So far the response to Step By Step has been very positive. We are therefore looking to begin offering Step By Step on a much larger scale. In order to do this we need additional funding. Our top three funding priorities are;
- Establish a high volume (low cost) manufacturing process
- Begin a national marketing and promotion campaign
- Expand our work on Step By Step lesson plans and modules
If we exceed our Kickstarter funding goals we plan on . . .
- Creating Step By Step classroom packs to be given to in-need and underperforming schools at greatly discounted (or possibly free) prices.
- Ensuring all Kickstarter materials are ready for international markets
- Begin a software companion application which will integrate the images and concepts learned with actual software development tools
We sincerely believe this is important work. Please consider helping us at any level. Your contribution to our children's early education is an investment of vital importance to all of our futures.
- (40 days)