What is Oak?
Oak is a dock for your iPhone that lets you put real objects in your apps. It uses your phone's camera to understand the space in front of it and make ordinary objects extraordinary!
- Explore Augmented Reality with the Oak Kits
- Track real objects in your apps with 3D position and pose.
- Detect touch in a large area in front of Oak.
- Create your own totem objects with our 2D and 3D printing guide.
What Will You Make With Oak?
- Play with the 3 starter kits to get a glimpse of what is possible with AR.
- Imagine what you can make when objects are no longer limited by the physical world.
- Create your own kit by building on top of the starter kits or making your own with our 3D/2D printing guide. Bring your kit to life with the Oak SDK.
Oak Kits: Discover the Magic of AR!
Oak comes with 3 starter kits to show you what is possible with AR. Just place your iPhone on the dock, launch the Oak App, pick up a kit and play!
Card Kit: Bring Your Cards To Life!
- Watch your cards come to life on your table!
- Battle your friends locally or online.
- Level up your hero and teach her powerful moves.
Rockstar Kit: Build Your Own Instrument!
- Invent your own instrument by arranging the pads and tap to play sounds.
- Change sounds and effects without missing a beat.
- Play our library of sounds and hundreds of other music apps through MIDI.
Explorer Kit: Learn About The Universe!
- Explore space hands-on with a real ship!
- Fly through solar systems and learn about planets.
- Design, upgrade and 3D print your own ship.
What Comes With Oak?
- Oak Dock
- Rockstar Kit: 12x Musical Pads
- Card Kit: 5x AR Cards (With KS exclusives "Kina" and "Scrag")
- Explorer Kit: 1x Space Ship Toy
- Developer Kit: 1x Dev Cube
- iPhone 6 and up iOS 8 or higher
- Larger iPhone Plus requires a small extra piece (no extra charge, just let us know in the backer survey)
- Android support will be available in Oak V2! (or our 100k stretch goal!)
Oak in the Press
Oak Kits: Deep Dive
Check out our current prototypes in the flesh as we take you through the kits, where the apps are now and what you can expect at release.
To play the Card Kit, players choose a card and take turns attacking each other with one of 3 moves.
- Defend: Your protection ability. This slot shields the hero from this turn's attack and/or provides some sort of resistance to damage.
- Attack: Your offensive ability. This slot damages your enemy and interrupts their special abilities.
- Special: Your secret weapon. This slot activates an item or ability that provides an advantage specific to your character.
As you battle, your card levels up and learns new moves! You only have 3 slots, so choose your moves carefully!
Kickstarter Exclusive Cards
The Rockstar Kit lets you tap and arrange musical pads to invent your own instrument!
- Create the perfect layout by arranging the pads the way you want.
- Filter and tweak audio to create the sound you want!
- Preform and sequence our library of sounds or other apps through MIDI.
- Fold up Oak and bring your music studio everywhere!
The Explorer Kit lets you explore and learn about the universe hands-on with a toy ship!
- Explore the solar system and learn about planets.
- Upgrade your ship and discover the mysteries of the universe.
- Complete quests and face powerful enemies.
The Developer Kit lets you put real objects into your apps.
- Get started quickly with our Unity3D or Xcode projects.
- Track 3D pose and position of any totem.
- Detect touch in front of Oak and create touchable 2D objects.
- 3D/2D print your own totems to control the virtual world.
Why are we on Kickstarter?
We have a beautiful, patent pending, production ready product that has been tested by thousands of people. We just need your help to start manufacturing and ship!
We're excited to hear the music you compose, the stories you tell and the creative uses you find for Oak. With your help, we can bring Oak to life and transform the whole world into an augmented reality playground!
Stretch Funding Goals
How it all Began
The idea started as an art project – to turn the walls and floors of a building into an augmented reality musical instrument. At the projects premier, a little girl’s wonder with the musical instrument inspired us to push the idea further. After many iterations, an intense accelerator program led by Intel Education, and countless hours of development and user testing, we have built a platform with a simple goal – to share the childlike wonder of augmented reality with everyone.
We want to get Augmented Reality into as many hands as possible. Instead of developing expensive holograms or one-off mobile apps, we are creating a robust, affordable platform that consumers and developers can start using right away. We want to nurture a community and collect valuable feedback so we can shape the future of AR together.
Brian Cook, CEO - Brian built his first instrument out of wood and nails when he was eight years old. Since then, he has been designing interactive technologies for world class institutions like the Whitney Museum and venues around the world. Brian loves hiking and eating cheese.
Ronald Sardarian, CTO - Ronald is a skilled software engineer specializing in computer vision and augmented reality. In his spare time, Ronald composes electronic music and volunteers – building sustainable homes for underprivileged children in southern California.
Max Escaler, CMO - Max has experience in marketing, branding and electrical engineering. In the past, Max has helped launch a marketing campaign for a wine company in Singapore and designed an antenna system to connect rural schools to the internet for a start-up in the Philippines. He is our resident pop-punk enthusiast.
Risks and challenges
There are many challenges that come with manufacturing hardware. Retaining the quality and reliability of your Oak is our number one priority. We will be working diligently to catch potential production issues long before your Oak ever gets to you.
There is always the possibility of factors arising (that sometimes aren't in anyone's control) that could cause delays. We have taken many steps in order to minimize the ways these could come about, including setting a very realistic manufacturing and shipping timeline. We maintain a very close relationship with our manufacturer and we are going to closely oversee every aspect of production first-hand. We will actively communicate with the community every step of the way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)