Do you sometimes encounter problems while trying to log in? Anykey provides the solution. Anykey is a small USB key with a unique software that automatically generates your password in less than 3 seconds. This is possible because Anykey presents itself as an external keybord.
A complete insight on how safe Anykey is.
By using Anykey you receive the insurance of having a long and complex password that protects your information from outside hackers. The principal advantage is that you do not need to remember your password since Anykey provides this privilege for you.
Furthermore, Anykey does not require any Wi-Fi or Bluetooth which could be hacked remotely. A fingerprint can be copied and once compromised you can't change it. Therefore our Anykey solution is more secure in the long run.
Lost or stolen?
The mechanics of Anykey is best explained with the opening of a door of a car or a house with your key. The key must be inserted and retracted in order to enter through the door. In this way AnyKey does not fill up any USB port and functions as an actual key.
The finder or thief of a lost housekey cannot possibly know to which door it belongs to. The same goes for Anykey. When lost, the finder has absolutely no idea to which computer or website the Anykey is linked to.
AnyKey is compatible with Windows, Mac OS X (Apple) and Linux. Moreover, you can login on any computer.
Why choose AnyKey? The answer is simple, it is safer than your old way of working due to a longer and more complex password. Therefore it becomes a lot harder to hack the password remotely. On top of that your performance also improves because your login and identification times with AnyKey is a lot faster than manually typing a long password yourself.
If your AnyKey is compromised, lost or stolen you can just use a new AnyKey with a totally different password. When your fingerprint is compromised any time, good luck with getting a new finger ;). The existing wireless solutions can be 'sniffed' and are prone to 'man in the middle' attacks. Not using AnyKey or other solutions means your primary password will be something simple and/or short because you need to type it often. This leaves you vulnerable to dictionary and brute force attacks. If your totally paranoid, you can still use your daily password and add AnyKey as extra salt on top of your current password. That way you have improved security without losing or adding your daily effort. But mostly we imagine a lot of people get tired of remembering those complex gmail and other online passwords. The first step is using a password manager like one-pass or just living with a painful login experience. Locking that password manager down more securely with a long master password or just improving your email login experience can finally be done thanks to AnyKey.
Nowadays people have a lot of their personal data storage online resulting in web security being a theme of crucial importance. Specialists advice to create a long password that is harder to hack. But a strong password is not always as easy to remember as practically every social website also requires you to have one. It is a time-consuming errand. The situation can become unclear and difficult in a matter of moments, Anykey provides a solution.
To reach this goal and connect with a larger public in a swift way, we launch our crowdfunding campaign. It would be an enormous support if we could reach a target amount of 5000 euro. With this we could keep supporting and developing our software, innovation- as the saying goes- is key. Besides that, we also want to finance our second batch, so that we can continue to protect more and more people.
Your support would be of outmost value to us! Without your help this would not be possible, after all, you also determine the success of Anykey. To show our gratitude, we want to give you a fun gift.
For your information: if the target amount is not reached, you will receive your imputed money back.
For extra security you can also just type in a "pincode" or short password before inserting your Any Key. This way you have an even greater insurance in case of loss or theft and still have all the advantages of being more secure to remote attacks.
AnyKey Configurator Software
To create or change your more secure password use the super user friendly configurator software. The configurator can be downloaded for free on www.anykey.shop and is available for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
Password Managers work better with an AnyKey
Password managers such as the built in MacOS Keychain, 1Password, Dashlane, Password Boss, RoboForm, StickyPassword all request you to remember and use a master password to unlock them. Any Key is again a great solution to making these password managers more user friendly and secure! By using AnyKey your master password is longer and more secure meaning the encrypted file with all you passwords is better protected. Still it's easy to use as you don't have to type the entire password and just type as many characters as you want to remember + add the hard part with an AnyKey.
The initial bulky prototype was already realised way back in 2011. It was done with an attiny85 + some passive components soldered onto a protoboard inside an off the shelf button with a simple led for usb connection debugging. This worked nicely and we had some proof of concept c++ command line code for changing the password (basically allowing you to automatically type any key or range of keystrokes that are stored on EEPROM). As prototype it was enough to get a patent. But the prototype had commercial issues like: being too bulky to carry around and it was missing a user friendly configurator GUI application on multiple platforms. We're now in 2019 , and improved our software and hardware since then. We are finally ready to do an official kickstarter. We're confident we can deliver a beautiful and useful new device into the world with a little bit of extra help from our backers. The hardware is nice and compact already and our software is multi platform and user friendly. But both firmware and configurator need some more work and we can add some great features with a little of support and funding.
In the past years we've both improved our software and hardware a lot. This is now the current hardware we're using for AnyKey. It's super compact and based on the newer atmega32u4 chip that allows usb communication without needing an entire V-USB stack.
New goals that are possible with your funding
Although we've come a long way since our first prototype we still have plenty of improvements to make and features to add.
At the 5k mark we will also make the following improvements:
- Currently the firmware works fine in windows, os x and linux but we do have some open bugs left: On OS X in safe/recovery mode we sometimes miss keystrokes. We will improve the firmware by spending more time debugging this issue.
- On windows safe mode and regular login screen works fine but the installer is not officially signed. For mac we funded the signature (developer account license) ourselves. For windows we need another signature to sign the new installer and GUI. A one year license for doing this in windows is around 500 euro. With the 5k target we will resign the installers and upload the newer versions of the software for free.
- Allow all command line features of the anykey_save tool to also be useable in the GUI.
- Add a gui for the linux version. Currently the windows and mac configurators are pretty working and user friendly. The linux version is however only terminal based currently. First on the agenda will be making the linux version also with a nice Qt GUI:
Goals and improvements starting at the 10k mark:
- The current gui is very basic and only allows saving a new or different password. We can however add plenty more features. A checkbox to toggle sending of the return key after the password is typed (firmware supports this as seen above, but the GUI has no checkbox for this).
- The GUI and firmware can be extended to support pressing system characters like CTRL, windows, ALT and command key etc. Currently we only support text that is to be used in a password field and the RETURN key.
- Scripting like a rubber-ducky: We can also extend the GUI and firmware to upload scripts that execute with loops and delays much like a rubber ducky. This is however a bit more work and will be put on the roadmap if we hit the 10k target.
- Apart from typing passwords with the HID-keyboard protocols we can also start supporting new protocols like the U2F standard. This however requires writing a new firmware image and is something we only feel worth while after the 10k mark.
- After we've implemented U2F and scripting firmwares we will need to also put our inhouse firmware flashing scripts into the gui. That way we can switch between the current firmware that just types passwords and U2F or bugfixes or ducky scripting etc. The firmware upgrade and download functionality is also something we will start to develop at the 10k mark.
20k mark goals:
- Provide an alternative usb connector and new casing for our anykey with usb type-c connector. Currently we have regular usb connectors. But in order to make hardware changes like this we'll need at least to hit our 20k mark. This is however a handy feature for all the new macbooks that only have type c now. Ofcourse AnyKey also still works with a standard usb to usb-c dongle but that's less user friendly.
50k mark goals:
- Implement KeePassXC plugin to work integrated with a specific firmware. We'll add another plugin to the master password screen and allow password-less unlocking of your kdbx file. So instead of having AnyKey use it's HID keyboard features to type a part of your master password (which it does already today in a great way) you'll have the additional option of using a different protocol specific for AnyKey inside KeePassXC. That way you can manage hundreds of passwords securely that can only be unlocked with your AnyKey device. We leverage the community work already done and add some nice hardware security sugar on top. That's a nice win win situation!
- Any other features users request we will look into and add here if we think they're worthy. So feel free to ask !!!
AnyKey is a start-up located in Antwerp created by Walter Schreppers and Sietse Goosen that wants to improve cybersecurity. We at Anykey, want to reduce the chance of possible intruders by protecting our customers in a new and innovative way. Our ambitions do not only encompass Belgium, we want to protect people from cyberattacks and hackers around the globe.
Special thanks to
Bryan Caceres for providing English translation
Tjeng Hang Chong for providing Chinese translation
Nelli Hovsepyan for providing Russian translation and Armenian language.
Patrycja Niewielska for providing Polish translation
Risks and challenges
We will try our best to deliver the rewards in 1 year.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)