My name is Paul Foster and I’m a chef based in Warwickshire. My career has been underpinned by commitment and hard work, which has taken me to some of the best restaurants in the world. As a result of my passion and drive I have had two very successful head chef roles over the past 6 years. It's always been my goal to have my own restaurant and it is now the time I believe I can achieve that. I didn't want to try it too soon when I didn't have enough experience or knowledge and I don't want to leave it too late and miss out on a great opportunity.
My food is modern British fine dining and when I eat out I like to feel comfortable and relaxed. This is what I want my restaurant to offer - an amazing standard of food and service in a place where you feel welcome. The restaurant will be based in South Warwickshire; it will be modern, serving high quality food and offering a relaxed, friendly environment.
A bit about me...
I’ve always wanted my own restaurant where I can have total freedom to create top quality food and serve it in a relaxed, approachable environment. I love food and I love eating out and I’m doing this Kickstarter in the hope that I’ll be able to have the opportunity to achieve my lifelong dream. If you’d like to know a bit more about me and my career to date, please check out the article in the link below, written by Great British Chefs.
My food could be described as ‘modern British’ and I put a lot of focus on flavour and seasonality. I like to work with the best food suppliers across the country so I know the produce is the best it can be, that way I don’t have to manipulate things too much – it’s just about enhancing an already great product. To see some of my recipes and dishes, please check out this link:
I’ve tried to put a range of rewards on the page in order to appeal to as many people as possible. Just to let you know a little bit more about ‘the best brownie ever’- it’s a bold claim, I know. But honestly, everyone who tastes it does agree. My mother-in-law is coeliac and can’t eat gluten or wheat. If you’re like her then this one’s for you because it’s totally gluten and wheat free but still tastes amazing. Let’s not focus on the Aston Villa shirt reward……..moving on……
If I’m lucky enough to get your support and this Kickstarter is successful, the rough plan of action is outlined below. Like most big projects I know it can take time and sometimes things come up that you don’t anticipate so this is subject to change but I’ll always keep you up to date on our progress on the campaign page.
- Secure lease on premises
- Business administration (e.g. licensing, insurance, health and safety)
- Branding / logo / website design
- Re-decoration as required
- Soft openings
- Official opening
The aim of my Kickstarter is to get your help raising funds to make my dream a reality. The funds raised by this campaign will be used to pay the initial rent for the restaurant, to purchase start up stock and equipment and to cover all of the other up-front costs including insurance, licences, payroll, utilities and any necessary redecoration. Having these costs covered will allow me to get my foot in the door and start trading and will give me the privilege of being able to focus on providing an amazing experience and running a successful business, instead of being driven by the pressure of bank repayments. Even if you’re not able to contribute, if you could just share my Kickstarter page with your family and friends I would be really grateful because the more people who know about it, the more chance I have of succeeding.
How can I make the restaurant successful?
I think the restaurant will be a great success for a number of reasons but the biggest advantage I have is the partnership with my wife, Rhiain. The combination of our skills and experience should make us formidable business partners.
I have a natural passion for food which means I have worked very hard throughout my career and I’ve achieved some amazing things I’m really proud of. Over the past 6 years I have been working as a Head Chef and this has given me the opportunity to learn about the business side of running a restaurant. I have learnt about stock management and ordering, food costing, utilising ingredients in order to be cost effective, how to minimise wastage, how to balance staffing costs and all whilst being able to deliver high quality food.
My wife, Rhiain, has been in HR for the past 8 years and is responsible for coaching line managers on how to manage and get the best out of their employees. Rhiain has a strong academic background in Business Management and she will take responsibility for administration of the business, ensuring we are compliant with all necessary paperwork including, for example, health and safety, licensing and employee records. Rhiain will also support me to recruit and retain our employees. We want to make the restaurant a place where people want to come to work, where they feel valued and part of a great team.
Here’s me, looking all serious for a proper photo shoot. I’ll be Chef Patron, responsible for menu design, kitchen staff supervision, stock control, sourcing and budgets.
Here’s ‘the Wife’ (aka the brains behind the outfit). Rhiain will be a Director, responsible for business administration, legal compliance and HR.
This is ‘Joey’ (actually Liam Davies), we might be creative at cooking, but clearly not at nicknames. Joey is my right hand man, he’s been with me for 3 years and he’ll be my Sous Chef at the new restaurant.
Could this be you? We will be recruiting for a Front of House Manager and waiting staff so if you have experience, a positive attitude and want to become part of a great team then please get in touch. We’d love to hear from you!
Thank you for visiting my campaign. I appreciate all of your feedback and support and would love to hear from you. Please feel free to connect on
Twitter - https://twitter.com/paulfosterchef or
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/paulfosterchef
You can also check out my website www.paulfosterchef.com
Risks and challenges
As part of our business plan, we put together a SWOT analysis to look at some of the potential challenges we might face when starting out. These could include:
1) Competitors - depending on the exact location of the restaurant, we would need to look at the local food offering and where our restaurant would fit within the market. If we were based in, for example, Leamington, there are a lot of mid-priced chain restaurants, and only a few high-end places. We would maintain a competitive edge by offering high quality food at an approachable price-point.
2) Finding and retaining suitable staff - this is something a lot of high-end restaurants struggle with. We will be looking for passionate individuals who share our love of the industry and who will be committed to offering exceptional service. In order to attract staff we will pay slightly above market average and we will be able to guarantee days off! We want our staff to feel like they're part of the business and we will place a lot of emphasis on building a team who love working with each other. There'll be plenty of good reasons to want to come and work with us.
3) Rising food costs and availability - Protein costs are always increasing which means I need to use my skills to turn cheaper cuts into something gastronomic. I'm also hot on food wastage so the effects of this will be minimised.
4) Building the brand - because I will be starting the restaurant from scratch I will also need to build a new customer base. My initial marketing focus will be to raise awareness of the restaurant in the surrounding area. After that I will focus on keeping standards high and executing the concept so that word-of-mouth is good. I don't want to give away all of my marketing ideas and tools but needless to say we've written a marketing plan and we understand the importance of keeping the restaurant relevant.
I've undertaken a lot of research into this project, speaking with contacts within the industry who've been successful and learning as much as I can from my peers. The business plan we have written is comprehensive and we hope that it covers everything we need to think about in order to give ourselves the best chance of success.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)