The Emery Skatebench
The Emery Skatebench
The Emery Skatebench is a sturdy piece of furniture made of skateboard parts. Locked wheels are non-marking feet. Or unlock to roll!
The Emery Skatebench is a sturdy piece of furniture made of skateboard parts. Locked wheels are non-marking feet. Or unlock to roll! Read more
Fun, High Quality, Functional Furniture Pieces Made From Skateboard Components.
I had seen other great little benches made with skateboard decks, but I'd never seen one that incorporated the trucks and wheels into the design. I set out to try and create one that would.
I designed the Emery Skatebench to fulfill the following requirements:
1. Create a sturdy, high quality, functional and stable piece of furniture suitable for a variety of uses.
2. Use all the components of a skateboard in its construction.
3. Incorporate as many American made parts as possible and assemble it locally.
The Emery Skatebench is the result of that process: a fun, completely functional bench that is built from all the parts of a skateboard, including the trucks, wheels, and bearings! It stands 18" tall, a standard seat hight, and is perfect for wide variety of uses.
- in entryways for tying on shoes
- around a dining room table or in a breakfast nook
- at the skatepark to watch the action
- extra seating in any room
It also incorporates locally and US made parts and is assembled right here in Eugene OR. I've partnered with a local machine shop to laser cut, weld, and powder coat the custom designed frame bracket. The maple wood blank decks I use are made from US hardwoods and are cut and formed in the US.
The magic of the Emery Skatebench is in the patent pending design that turns normally unstable skateboard axles and wheels and turns them into rigid legs and feet. I replace the rubber bushings in the trucks (the part that normally swivels and allows a rider to steer a skateboard) with stacks of stainless steel washers. I then lock the wheels with a few more washers pressed onto the bearings. With the wheels locked, the Emery Skatebench is extremely stable , will not roll, and the wheels function as non-marking non-skid feet. I use 10" wide Caliber brand trucks to provide an extra stable base.
But if you want it to roll around, it can do that too! Just unlock the wheels with a standard adjustable wrench and the bench will roll as smoothly as a skateboard.
A word of caution though! With the rubber bushing in the trucks replaced with stainless steel washers you won't be able to steer very well, so don't take it riding in the halfpipe. These are only to be used as furniture! Fun furniture, to be sure, but just furniture.
We're offering the Emery Skatebench in 2 configurations and one limited edition version for this Kickstarter campaign.
1. A Complete Emery Skatebench with a US made blank maple deck in the following colors: Black, White, Blue, Red, or Steel. All come with white wheels except for the black version, which comes with black wheels.
2. Do-It-Yourself Skatebench Kit. Supply your own deck. One of the best things about skateboard decks is that besides being comfortable to sit on, they come with an incredible array of graphics and artwork. The Do-It-Yourself Emery Skatebench Kit comes with everything you need to turn any standard skateboard deck into a rad little bench. Got a favorite old deck laying around? Have a collection of great decks? Show off their graphics by turning them into awesome little benches. The kits will work with any standard skateboard deck with a wheelbase between 13.5" and 14.5", which includes most skateboard decks with the exception of longboards and shorty boards. If in doubt, measure your deck first. The kit includes a custom designed frame, locked 10" Caliber trucks with wheels locked and pre-installed, and all the hardware you need to complete a bench with a deck of your choosing. They come in the same colors as the complete benches. Black, White, Blue, Red, or Steel.
These are some benches I made and you could make something similar with one of the kits:
3. The final option is A complete Emery Skatebench made with a limited edition deck with graphics by renowned artist Michael Salter. We're only printing a handful of these. They're gonna look great and will be signed by the artist. There are four designs to choose from and all will be mounted on black skatebench frames with black wheels. For more info on Michael Salter and his artwork, check out his website.
Logistics: We've worked through several prototypes before settling on the final one shown here. Throughout that entire process, we've worked with Metal Products Inc. in Springfield Oregon to help refine the skatebench frame bracket that is the backbone of these benches. They are ready to make the brackets as soon as we get orders. Our suppliers are lined up and we're ready to roll. We plan on spending November assembling benches with the intention of shipping out in December in time for the holiday season.
We're psyched about the Emery Skatebench and hope that you think they're as fun and interesting as we do!
Thanks for your support Kickstarter!
Risks and challenges
We're confident that our ducks are in a row, from the deck printing to the boxes to ship in. If something goes wrong with one of our suppliers, we have alternates lined up for everything but the Caliber trucks. Fortunately, they're a well run professional outfit. We've placed several smaller orders from them already and we should have no trouble with our future orders. If we have the great fortune to be inundated with more orders than we can handle on our own, we have several friends lined up to help assemble benches should the need arise.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)