Hello World, this is ALAN. ALAN, meet the rest of the world!
Interacting with robots face-to-face will be common in the future.
- What do we expect from our interactions with humanoid robots?
- What features make communication with ALAN more comfortable or natural?
- How might early exposure to humanoid robotics impact perception?
Designing, personalizing, and modifying ALAN is just the beginning. We hope that interaction with ALAN will further shape the types of projects and programming builders have access to. We encourage users to explore. Share your Mods, color schemes, programming and sensor additions with our network of builders around the world.
Free up your hands and have ALAN hear and speak with you using speech synthesis and speech recognition. Build a personality by creating or editing a Chatbot. Create databases and train ALAN to recognize friends and family, even greeting them when they enter the room.
We set out to design a new robot builder experience that allows users to explore humanoid robotics in both form and function. ALAN provides opportunities for creativity, inspiration, and modifications that aren't easily found in the current marketplace.
Our kits are designed to support flexibility and creativity. Whether you are a beginning builder, or advanced programmer we have a kit that is right for you. Whatever rewards you choose, ALAN will help you Get Ahead In Robotics™.
- If, you already have electronic components from other projects or enjoy sourcing your own mechanisms, a basic kit may be the best fit.
- If, you are starting from scratch, a kit containing all the major electronics will get you up and running much faster.
Using the powerful EZ Robots' EZB™ as the micro-processor and the EZ Builder interface, face-to-face interactions with ALAN are easily accomplished. No programming knowledge is needed to get started, simply use the click and drop controls. EZ Builder supports these advanced functions:
- Lip sync and audio output
- Voice recognition and synthesis
- Read twitter, RSS feeds, and audio books aloud
- Vision and Motion tracking via onboard camera
- Object and facial recognition
RoboRealm™ or EZ-AI™ (not included) can extend Alan's functions and include: counting objects, shape matching, pupil detection, path planning and so much more.
With ALAN, you can take your building and programming skills to the next level. Whether you use our electronics package or source your own, once assembled, your ALAN will support innovation through:
Face Off Kit
Bronze: Basic Kit
Silver: Innovator Kit
To support ALAN innovators that are just beginning to explore humanoid bots, we suggest our Silver Innovator Kit with the EZB™ micro-controller and camera. This is the micro-controller used at Robomodix with our ALAN. EZB™ utilizes Windows environment to run its software.
- This kit contains the platinum silicone skin, all ALAN modules and major electronics ( 5 servos, EZB micro-controller and camera 2 speakers, Blink M Mini LED Eye Lights, power supply and micro-controller).
- This kit ships unassembled and unpainted.
Gold: Developer ALAN
- This kit contains all modules and electronics ( 5 servos, EZB micro-controller and camera 2 speakers, Blink M Mini LED Eye Lights, power supply and micro-controller) installed. Simply connect and pull on the silicone skin.
- Ships unpainted
Platinum: Custom ALAN Kit
Building not your thing? Want to start interacting with ALAN right away?
This is the reward for you. Platinum kit includes a fully assembled, programmed, and painted ALAN with a Tablet PC. It comes with the customized LED light array seen on our prototype. Backers at this level will also be able to choose a voice and color scheme (3 options) for ALAN.
After considering numerous factors from material costs to tooling we determined that $125,000 goal would allow us to bring Robomodix to the marketplace. We have broken down general cost categories above.
Pre-Production and the handmade production of the physical parts comprise 80% of our estimated budget for this funding goal. We have worked hard to negotiate cost effective suppliers to minimize production costs as well as secure a manufacturing team. To ensure we can deliver ALAN to our backers, we have also included a risk mitigation factor to account for unforeseen costs.
Risks and challenges
Rest assured the ALAN campaign is in excellent hands. ALAN’s development was built upon 25 years of experience from the animatronics and special effects fields. Large scale reproduction jobs like ALAN, are a daily demand in the film industry. Feel confident we can reproduce ALAN and fill the rewards in a timely manner.
That said, we are attempting to mass produce, by hand, a really cool robot. Example of potential challenges may include unforeseen molding issues per part, where we might have to re-engineer some parts to get them to work in a large scale production environment. Or final parts may weigh different than the 3D printed parts, which would require sourcing stronger neck servos, changing out the power supply, etc.
Changes like these, are unlikely to impact our timeline. But, if it would, we pride ourselves with customer service and communication. We will be actively answering your questions, updating the page's as the campaign progresses.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)