The Ship: Full Steam Ahead
The Ship: Full Steam Ahead
The Ship: Full Steam Ahead will be a steampunk sequel to the popular 1920's-themed computer game, The Ship.
The Ship: Full Steam Ahead will be a steampunk sequel to the popular 1920's-themed computer game, The Ship. Read more
About this project
HELP MAKE A GREAT GAME
Murder Party is a stealthy, murder mystery game, played out on a variety of 1920’s ships.You’re given a player to hunt down within a time limit, while acting, in turn, as a target for somebody else. You must kill your target secretly, without any other passengers, or on-board security, witnessing your crime. And of course, you must evade your own pursuer.
Your task is made trickier as you must also balance ‘needs’, such as companionship, eating, sleeping and cleanliness. Get caught napping (or in other more compromising situations) and you’re not going to survive very long.
The Ship Full Steam Ahead
With the aid of this Kickstarter campaign, Blazing Griffin now wants to put together a sequel to The Ship.
This sequel, called The Ship: Full Steam Ahead, will continue in the same vein as its revolutionary predecessor, creating a richly detailed, uniquely engaging FPS, in which stealth and subterfuge are as important as gung-ho action.
- Lure your quarry into a quiet corner and kill them before they kill you, or bludgeon them messily and run for it.
- Commandeer the best weapon for dispatching your quarry, from umbrellas and golf clubs, to scalpels and firearms. Improvise in the heat of the moment. Locate items critical to your survival.
- Evade on-board security, including guards and monitoring equipment, as well as the hue-and-cry of other passengers. Avoid being spotted mid-murder and being banged up in the brig.
- Make meaningful gameplay decisions as you elude your pursuer and hunt down your quarry in the bowels of the ship. Take advantage of your quarry’s needs, but neglect your own at your peril. Make use of special locations that offer medical repair or the advances of early Victorian psychiatry…
- Learn your world, from the devious locations, routes and security, to hidden passages, environmental traps, and extra special ways of murdering your quarry. Improvise, adapt, overcome.
- Richly customise your character. Dress to accentuate your individual mood or style, or change your clothes on a regular basis, throwing your pursuer off your trail while remaining anonymous to your quarry.
- Interact with a living ecosystem of industrious crew and unsuspecting passengers, where the inhabitants have their own routines and needs which can impact your gameplay experience, for good or for ill.
- Experience sumptuous graphics and haunting music, on-board a vividly realised, luxury liner. Explore a richly detailed and immersive world of luxurious, Victorian steampunk.
Our approachIn the first instance, our goal will be to recreate the core, multi-player, experience of the original game in a new steampunk world. At the same time, we’ll bring the gameplay, sound and graphics right up-to-date.
How you can help
We need your help to get this game on to PC and other platforms.
Making the game we want you to have will involve our dedicated team, as well as new talent and tools. So we’re asking fans of the original game -- and everyone else who likes the sound of Full Steam Ahead -- to make a pledge right here on Kickstarter.
In return, backers can gain a selection of great rewards including alpha and beta access to the game, and a selection of limited edition steampunk goodies.
Beyond the funds asked for here on Kickstarter, we'll develop new content for the game as funds become available. But if we exceed our Kickstarter target, we’ll be able to produce more of our expansion material, sooner.
So pledge now, no matter how small. Every pound – or dollar – will help us make The Ship: Full Steam Ahead into a truly fantastic game.
HELP US MAKE AN AUTHENTIC STEAMPUNK EXPERIENCE
“One is bored… You, lackey, create an alternative reality for The Ship: a Steampunk world – a most audacious sequel wot is crafted from coal and brass, and wot has one in it.”
–– Her most imperious Majesty, Queen Victoria, at GAME & Son, Piccadilly, 2012.
Yes, my friend – by imagined royal appointment, no less – our navvies here at BlazingGriffin will soon be pounding out white-hot ingots of C++ in the vast coding foundries that put the ‘great’ in Great Britain, transforming The Ship – an already awesome game on Mr Babbage’s Steam Emporia – into its very own, steamed up and punky sequel: The Ship: Full Steam Ahead.
This sequel will take you back to the Colonial Era of the British Empire, where men were strapping chaps, women wore six-barrelled guns in their garters, and Victorian England was thriving in an alternate time-line powered by steam.
Did we mention the Steampunk?
Ah, the smell of coal dust; the worrying hack of TB in the lungs; the clank of a mechanical servitor thwacking a villain with a hickory-handled five iron…
In the spirit of the original, 1920’s game, The Ship: Full Steam Ahead will let you dress up in your Steampunk finery, travel on Victoria’s finest shippage, and ‘drub’ the enemies of the Empire, while those self-same scoundrels, attempt to murder you. You’ll get to play in an evocative, Victorian environment, where eating, sleeping, and promenading (as well as unmentionable ablutions) are just as important as murdering your shipmates. After all, one must have some sense of decorum, don’t you think?
Going beyond this ‘hundredweight’ of original gameplay, we’ll be embracing the rather risqué craze of ‘open development’, waving our merry kerchiefs with much hulabaloo, and setting sail for gameplay unknown. We have plenty of ideas for new features, but most importantly, we want to create something new and rather daring with input from YOU -- our most noble players.
In short, now is the time to prime your gas gun and don your mechanical timepiece…
HOW YOU CAN HELP
“You, sir. A trip to the Indies, you say? Why, give us that penny, and we’ll give you a world of steam and high adventure!”
–– Sir Chitlin Wynthrop, The J. Noobington Home for Wayward Gamers.
We need your shillings and sixpences to build The Ship: Full Steam Ahead.
This is an ambitious project – one for which a stiff-upper-lip, a cold mustard compress, and a stout truss have undoubtedly prepared us. But there’s no doubt that the renovation of The Ship is going to give us a ‘discommodious swelling of the brain’ and a ‘furious griping of the bowels’ without the patent cure of funds.
To this end, the monies gathered by Messrs’ Kickstarter Esq. will allows us to:
- Pay everyone: these days, it seems, it’s the ‘done thing’ to recompense to the working classes. That includes our business folk, designers, coding navvies and artistic wallas, as well as our specialists in the field of auditory, acoustic engineering.
- Change our engine: replacing the technological marvel that is The Ship’s resilient – though somewhat antiquated – engine. The scale of this task may be imagined as a rather modest canal-building project, using desks and keyboards instead of shovels. The use of flat caps will, of course, be mandatory.
- Rebuild the core game: recreating the core of the old game in its new genre. How else might we regale the world with our thrillingly eccentric creations, such as new gameplay, environments, weapons, and passengers, and some ‘banging good tunes’ – all in a most gratifying Steampunk styley? This will be a slim slice of the multiplayer game, but one of merchantable quality.
- Create a content delivery platform: so we can deliver our new, anabaric wonders without recourse to a pony and trap, or the laying of a new trans-Atlantic cable.
- Promote and market the game: so we can aggrandise ourselves in the most prestigious periodicals. Such shameless promotion will help us sell our tenacious product, and thus self-fund future expansion of The Ship: Full Steam Ahead, the Empire, and possible sequels.
- Localise our content: so that those in the colonies as well as London may enjoy our loquacious quips.
As we’re a small team bootstrapping The Ship: Full Steam Ahead into existence, Blazing Griffin’s patronage of the ‘Indies’ and other such development communities is entirely assured. You’ll definitely have an opportunity to tell us what you think, or what you’d improve. Scared we’ll break this fiendish contraption? Forego the formalities, drop by and have your say!
In the meantime, we do hope you’ll be compelled to join us on this adventure of brash derring-do…
WHAT YOU GET
“Come Pip. Invest in my bridal cake business and you shall have Shwag aplenty”.
–– Miss Haggis ’n’ Ham, Great Expectations.
What might you expect for your most liberal financial backing? More than just war bonds from the British East Indian Co., you may hope. And you’d be right! Some of our more rousing rewards include:
- A Copy of The Ship: Full Steam Ahead (or the equivalent in paid downloadable content): as soon as our ironclad behemoth of Victorian gaming glides down the slips, you'll be able to 'socialise' with your fellow backers, ensuring steampunk accoutrements, dandified pugilistic skills, and fine breeding are their prima ‘causa mortis’.
- Copies of The Ship: Murder Party: intrigued by the futuristic 1920’s? This is your chance to play The Ship ‘classic’. Despite our current attempts to overhaul the boiler, The Ship is still a most excellent game and you’ll get five copies (one for you, two for your friends, and two for their friends). With these degrees of separation, you may end up playing Sir Kevin Bacon…
- Beta, Alpha, or Pre-Alpha Access: gain a formal introduction to our new features before everyone else and avoid the embarrassment over ‘which fork to use’... as a weapon. Ask your questions or contribute to our daring designs via Her Majesty’s World-Wide-Telegraph. Our operators will be standing by to connect some of the greatest minds of our century, with nothing more than fine elocution and patch cables.
- T-shirts: those of a delicate disposition have been known to become ‘quite overcome’ at the sight of our strapping young men wearing these excellent Imperial T’s. Note the quality of the decorative embroidery and the heft of that colonial workmanship. And, by God, the ladies are wearing them too (tailored to support side saddle and the low gravity of space)…
- Badges (or for those in the Americas, ‘buttons’): feel some metal at your breast, sir, with these most excellent charms from the Orient. Guaranteed to deflect arrows coated in the deadly secretions of Dendrobates Azureus should you be caught short in the Amazon.
- Credit: achieve the credit you deserve before the upper classes purloin your last morsel of self-respect.
- Wallpaper: why not line the inside of your digital devices with our wallpaper – presumably to accommodate the storage of socks, garters or monogrammed articles of a more feminine nature.
- An Honest-to-God Raygun: Johnny Alien won’t ‘like it up him’ with this finely crafted Martian sidearm. Set the dial to ‘one’ for cocoa, ‘six’ to sauté a can of Bully Beef, or ‘twelve’ to cut through the hull plating of a Venusian Attack Barge. “Vlahuk nik Vlahhhargh!” as they say on the Eastern Craters!
- Poster Map: deck-plans and engineering schematics of the Imperial fleet. Revel in our secret locations and placements of devious devices. Alternatively, cover that annoying hole in the lath and plaster…
- Stickers: a novel use for the rare, Carpathian butterfly and the best horse-glue money can buy.
- Soundtrack: MP3's from, or inspired by, our steampunk soundtrack. Enjoy 'Algy, the Piccadilly Johnnie' lovingly transcribed into this modern, wax-free format by the Worthington Ladies Society for the Renovation of Shipping.
- Limited Edition Character Model: our artisans wanted to make something wholesome, as behoves our temperent ways – perhaps involving kittens in formal wear – but some lower-class near-do-well got into the castings and made a limited run of his own visage. Clearly illiterate, the poor chap could only sign his moniker as a simple ‘X’.
- Your Name or Image in the Game: frighten the in-laws with garish tales of how you were one miniaturized by an occult order of the Illuminatum and placed within the bowels of a fearsome engine. Mr Verne, himself, could scarcely imagine it!
- Our Most Esteemed Thanks: a huzzah, a virtual clap on the back, and a ‘dashed jolly good show!’ for good measure. There will be no inappropriate hugging.
NOW IS THE TIME TO GIVE
Don’t be a Johnny/Jenny-come-lately. Come on you strapping young chaps, and daring young ladies, do it for Queen and Country! And if not for them, then do it for those charitable souls of the Worthington Ladies Society for the Renovation of Shipping. We need your money, now, more than ever!
Every brass farthing counts.
(Signed) Sir Reginald, Accrington Willoughby,
Protector of the Empire,
Her Majesty’s Patents Office.
Long live the Queen! Huzzah!
Releases for The Ship: Full Steam Ahead will be coming in the year of Victoria’s reign, twenty hundred and fourteen on steam-powered Personal Computational devices throughout the Empire and beyond [PC, Early 2014].
IN THE EVENT OF PENURY: Should you be robbed of all monies, do not despair. You can still help us in our noble endeavour: tell your friends about us. Good word of mouth is worth its weight in fine porcelain, Heidsieck’s Goût Américain Champagne, or a modest traction engine.
Risks and challenges
You wouldn't be the free-wheeling, Ship-loving entrepreneur we hope you are, if you didn't at least enquire into the risks of our immodest venture.
We respect that.
In an effort to be more forthright in our declamations, I shall henceforth doff the top hat and speak ‘modern’:
The Ship: Full Steam Ahead is in concept just now and will soon be entering pre-production. That means we’re developing concept work, story, and getting ready to prototype. As such, we’re at a very early stage of the game’s development and we've got a lot of stuff to build.
The Ship may be an existing product, but it will be an entirely new team developing Full Steam Ahead. Can Blazing Griffin make this game?
We may be a new team, but we have experienced staff and we’ll be hiring more. Making this game is one of the main reasons we started the company. We wouldn't be here if we didn't think we could pull it together.
WILL THIS GAME BE ANY GOOD?
We don’t have a playable version of Full Steam Ahead, *yet*, but we do have the original game and we know that’s fun.
Our goal is to recreate the core mechanics of the Ship in a new steampunk environment. Once that’s up and running, then we’ll modularly enhance the game with new content.
This form of open development will mean the game will grow rather than ‘arrive’ and players will be able to try out and feed into additions as we go. We should be ‘building on fun’ (or at least good promise) from a fairly early stage, and the whole project will be substantially less risky, as we’re not holding out for one huge, distant release. You’ll also be able to see everything as we go, warts ‘n’ all.
IS £128K GOING TO BE ENOUGH?
£128K doesn’t sound like a lot for this type of game. Won’t you need more?
£128K will be enough to recreate The Ship's core multi-player experience in The Ship: Full Steam Ahead. The new game will be a merchantable product, you'll be able to have fun playing it, and we'll continue to develop content for it beyond the Kickstarter release. If we exceed our target, we’ll be able to produce more of our expansion material, sooner.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We won't be able to develop a Linux port on the minimum amount we're trying to raise here, but it is something we'd definitely love to do. It *will* be included in our pending stretch goals, so if we exceed our £128K target with a heroic effort from our backers (by an amount TBD) -- or manage to find additional funds post-Kickstarter -- Linux support will be in.
The £16 pledge level shows The Ship: Full Steam Ahead as being available in April 2013. Is that right?
No. Our bad. Everything else in that tier will be available at the date specified (April 2013). The Game will be available April 2014.
PC, initially. Though we are keen to get it onto other platforms as well.
Keys for The Ship: Murder Part will be sent out at the end of the Kickstarter event (on or very shortly after December 31st).
Support this project
- (60 days)