From the makers of IRONCLAW comes a fantastic table-top role-play of a million adventures on ten thousand worlds.
In the darkness of ages past, our universe was visited by aliens strange and unknowable.These otherworldly beings did not share the conventional space as we understood them, and they commanded technologies strong and most capable.They enslaved hundreds of people and they conquered thousands of worlds. Their empire became known as the Myriad Syndicate, and they were called the Syndics.
For untold generations, the Myriad people served the Syndics. Some worlds were stripped of all resources, and left barren and dead.Other worlds became over-populated hives, where vast populations toiled from birth to death, sometimes never seeing the sun above their heads.Pollution was rampant – some planets became furnaces of waste heat and greenhouse gasses, while others became poisoned, radioactive wastelands
Many resented the rule of the Syndics, but no uprising was successful for long. A chosen few gave themselves over to the Syndic’s rule so thoroughly that they became more alien than before, as the strange masters used their technology to change genetic structures.Worlds were lost, cultures were forgotten. The Myriad Syndicate was all.
And then, a century ago, the Syndics were gone. Sure, the many rebels will tell you that they finally overthrew their alien masters, but the facts tell a different story. Did they retreat to another universe? Are they hiding on undiscovered worlds, in radio silence? The Remanence, still loyal to their absent masters, insists the Syndicate still rules ... and that they themselves are the rulers. But as their technology breaks down, they find themselves unable to maintain it. Many worlds have become independent, with governments that range from complete anarchy, to pleasant utopias, to totalitarian nightmares.
Interplanetary factions spread their philosophy from place to place.The Solar Creed offers the people free energy ... at the price of their freedom and liberty.The technologists of the Concord push forward with their new science, for better or for ill.The Averlini Corporation promises greater wealth ... by indenturing people in ways more oppressive than the Syndics ever did.Strange alien masters, such as the Malmignatti Queen and the Colligatarch of Apparat threaten the livelihood of millions of people across the ten thousand worlds.And what mysterious dangers lurk in the unknown voids of space?
Myriad Song is game of science-fiction adventure where you will play as a brave adventurer travelling in the strange legacy of an alien empire. You will travel to primitive worlds with savage monsters ... to high-tech stations of amazing technology ... to derelict worlds where people scrounge out a living among the ruins ... and to places far stranger. You will find lost treasures ... and you will find horrors best forgotten. You will tangle with dangerous people, from desperate lowlifes out to make a quick buck, to dangerous soldiers of imperial armies, all the up to monstrous entities both alien and terrifying. The risks are great, but the rewards are greater. Are you ready to heed the siren song of the further stars?
When we meet our funding goal for Myriad Song, we will produce a game with all this and more:
- Fantastic artwork from some of the greatest names in science-fiction comics, such as Lynn Hogan (Prydwen, Star Wars) Matt Howarth (Heavy Metal, Star-Crossed, Those Annoying Post Brothers), David Lillie (Dreamkeepers), Denis Loubet (Ultima, Wing Commander), and Rick Veitch (Swamp Thing, Tomorrow Stories) ... as well as Sanguine's returning artists such as Jon Ascher and Pat Kelley.
- Several playable alien races and dozens of starting origins and careers, which you can mix and match to your heart's content.
- A comprehensive list of outfits, gear, equipment, and weapons, from the mundane to the exotic. From stone axes, to magnum pistols, to pulse rayguns, to alien hyperspace-projectors, and even to re-purposed tools and scrap for uses that definitely voids your warranty. The game will also include crafting and modifications, allowing you to change your gear to deal with all the strange things the future has to offer.
- A game system that's lean, clean, and mean, using the Cardinal game engine first seen in Ironclaw and Noggle Stones, now adapted for science-fiction role-play. Whether you like lots of rules for everything and anything ... or if you like a light and fast system that doesn't get in the way of your story, Myriad Song can expand and adapt to your style of play. Most importantly, the rules adapt to each individual player's style, so both the number-crunching power-gamer and the rules-light casual gamer can sit and the same table and play together for fast, fun entertainment.
- Comprehensive descriptions of the Myriad Worlds, with specific planets and places singled out for great adventure.
- A sample adventure to get you started.
Myriad Song is a celebration of science fiction, about the possibility of science and imagination. But it's not easy to make a new game! We've assembled an excellent team of artists, writers, and designers, and you can see that we have the makings for something great... but we don't want to stop at "great". We want Myriad Song to be the best it can be. And for that, we need your help.
The more pledges we receive, the more we will expand the project. More art, more writing, more everything! Here are some of the things we can add, with your support:
- $5,000 = Expand the player-equipment chapter with more options
- $6,000 = Add more art, and more artists
- $7,000 = Expand the alien rules for player characters, and add options to make your own
- $8,000 = Online tools for tabletop role-play
- $9,000 = Add even more art, and even more artists
- $10,000 = Expand the vehicles chapter for large-scale combat, featuring everything from motorcycles to giant death robots
- $12,000 = Add yet even more art
- $15,000 = Produce the Myriad Song soundtrack, songs designed to open your mind to the alien space
- $20,000 = Custom dice to make things seem more random
- $25,000 = So much art, such sights we have to show you
- $30,000 = Miniatures for the alien races featured in the book
- $40,000 = Strategic board game of space combat
- $50,000 = A graphic novel featuring the characters and setting
- $100,000 = A computer game featuring the characters and setting
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Since 1999, Sanguine Games has produced great games with fantastic art, wondrous story, and grand possibilities of imagination ... and we're still making games today. It's not enough to want to make something great -- you have to follow through to make it happen.
We learned a lot from our last Kickstarter, and we know how to maximize our delivery time and effectiveness. So before this project has even started, we already have our printers chosen, our production line ready to go, and our shipping partners on stand-by. All that's left is your support. Thanks for helping us bring you the future of indie gaming!
The video features the artwork of our contributors: Jon Ascher, Jeff Dee, Lynn Hogan, Matt Howarth, Pat Kelley, David Lillie, Denis Loubet, Norman Rafferty, Rick Veitch, and Question Studio. The music and voice-over is Michael 'Skitch' Schiciano of http://www.skitchstudio.com/ and it was edited by Norman Rafferty.
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
INSTANT KARMA, INITIALED WITH LOVING CARE - Your name will be listed in the book, in our thanks section. Every little bit helps! Thanks for your contribution.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
DREAMS OF FIRE AND STARSHINE - A digital copy of Myriad Song, sent to you in PDF form.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $30 or moreYou selected
11 backers All gone!
CATCH THE MYSTERY, CATCH THE DRIFT - Early bird discount! Your own physical copy and an electronic copy of the Myriad Song sent to you ... but only for the first eleven people to pledge for this reward. (There is no added charge for shipping -- thanks for your pre-order!)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $40 or moreYou selected
14 backers Limited (2986 left of 3000)
THIS SHIP SINGS TO THE SKIES - Your own physical copy of the Myriad Song book, mailed directly to you, anywhere on Earth. (There is no added charge for shipping -- thanks for your pre-order!)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $41 or moreYou selected
54 backers Limited (1946 left of 2000)
IN AN ALIEN HEAT - The Myriad Song book in both physical printing and electronic PDF, for people who have a hand in both worlds. (There is no added charge for shipping -- thanks for your pre-order!)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $99 or moreYou selected
3 backers Limited (9 left of 12)
DREAMING OF MY OWN GREEN WORLD - You can name one of the Myriad Worlds, something appropriate to the setting. Also, you get your own electronic copy and your own physical copy of the Myriad Song book, mailed directly to you, anywhere on Earth.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $299 or moreYou selected
3 backers All gone!
IN AND AROUND THE LAKE, MOUNTAINS COME OUT OF THE SKY - The entire Sanguine Games catalog (as of August 2013), in print form, mailed anywhere on Earth. That's not just Myriad Song, it's also Ironclaw and our rare, out-of-print games like Albedo and Usagi.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $399 or moreYou selected
3 backers All gone!
THE LAST WAVE UNCOVERS THE NEWFANGLED WAY - Working with our staff, you can design one of the play-able alien species to be included in the game ... presented with history, morphology, and biology. Also, you get your own electronic copy and your own physical copy of the Myriad Song book, mailed directly to you, anywhere on Earth.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $499 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (1 left of 2)
COME ON YOU CHILDHOOD HEROES, WON'T YOU RISE UP FROM YOUR PAGES - Working with our staff, you can design one of the sample play-able characters presented in the book. Also, you get your own electronic copy and physical copy of the Myriad Song book, mailed directly to you, anywhere on Earth.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $599 or moreYou selected
1 backer All gone!
CHAINS OF PRISON MOONS ARE SHATTERED BY THE SUN - Working with our staff, you can design one of the inter-stellar factions who represent one of the major political forces in the future of the Myriad Worlds ... presented with history, structure, influence, etc. Also, you get your own electronic copy and your own physical copy of the Myriad Song book, mailed directly to you, anywhere on Earth.Estimated delivery:
- (32 days)