About this project
With your help we have reached and surpassed our goal and the print run will be going ahead! Thanks so much everyone!
You can learn more about the book and how to get a copy at doinggreatbaby.com
Hi! I'm Beth Taylor. My husband Jeff Edwards and I are the authors of You're Doing Great, Baby.
You're Doing Great, Baby is a picture book with a message of love and self-compassion for new parents.
Those first months of parenthood can be tough. We understand the overwhelming feelings of love, fear and crazy-tiredness because that's how we felt when we became parents almost six years ago. There are lots of joys, but it's also a tough, all-consuming job, and those first few months can be lonely and filled with self-doubt.
We want this book to:
- Remind you that you're doing great
- Remind you that your baby is doing great
- Give you a laugh and make you feel less alone
- Encourage people to talk about the challenging aspects of early parenting and get help if they need it.
The book's message of compassion, and the importance of self-compassion, is relevant to anyone - whether you have a kid or not. It is a great way to give either yourself or someone you love a big high five and some down-to-Earth support. It will make a great gift to have on hand for any new parents you know.
We need your help to self-publish the book. You will get an awesome reward along the way!
Inside the book
The book is finished and ready to go to the printer. We've created a webpage where you can preview the full book.
Although the book is ready to send to the printer, we might still decide to make minor changes.
We've got a couple of people we'd like you to meet...
Why is this book important?
Our book, with its mix of humour and honesty, helps start conversations about some of the challenges of early parenthood. We hope it also helps parents be kinder to themselves at a time when they've got a lot going on.
We want to get the book printed as a board book (so that baby doesn't chew it up). The smallest possible print run is 500 copies.
We've already reached our initial goal, so we will be ordering at least 500 copies!
If we get enough interest we would love to print even more and spread our message further.
If you would like a copy (or copies), you have until the end of August to back the project and choose the reward you'd like.
How you can help
1. If you believe in what we are doing, please pledge what you can.
We will send you awesome rewards! You can read more about the reward levels below.
2. Please consider sharing this project online or sending it to friends and family you think might be interested.
We would love for our book to reach as many people as it can.
Thank you so much for your support! We really appreciate you coming along for the ride with us.
The more you pledge, the more you can get.
* Digital Bundle:
- an ebook version of 'You're Doing Great, Baby' (pdf and epub) to print or put on your ereader or on baby's iPad.
- 'Adventures in Early Parenthood', an ebook based on stories from our blog, written by Beth Taylor.
- an EP of lullabies by The Desks (co-author Jeff Edwards' band).
* The board book of You're Doing Great, Baby. 20 pages of heart and humour. Measures 6 x 6 inches.
* 'You're Doing Great' postcard set - Four postcards to stick up on your fridge, or give to friends to remind them how great they're doing.
* Launch A family-friendly book launch in Sydney. Date and location TBC. There will be cake, music, nibblies, and a reading of the book. You can bring along your copy of the book and have it signed by the authors.
* "Tell me I'm doing great, baby" consultation - A personal consultation with co-author Beth Taylor via your choice of letter, phone. Skype or email. You tell Beth what's going on for you at the moment and she will give you a virtual high-five and tell you you're doing great.
* Original artwork (unframed) - We'll paint your choice of an original watercolour artwork based on a spread from the book. You get to choose which one you'd like from a selection. One of a kind. Signed. Unframed, with matte board. Dimensions: A3 (297 x 420 mm).
* Original artwork (framed) - We'll paint your choice of an original watercolour artwork based on a spread from the book. You get to choose which one you'd like from a selection. One of a kind. Signed. Framed with matte board included. Dimensions: A3 (297 x 420 mm).
Beth Taylor co-wrote the book and hand-coloured Jeff's illustrations. She is a mother, artist, filmmaker and photographer. She has covered a gallery wall with a thousand photos for her solo exhibition 'Home', created a solar system from 12,000 bread tags for 'Breadtag World'. She also wrote and directed the award-winning documentaries Maybe Mum's Not the Word and Insecurities.
Jeff Edwards co-wrote the book and drew the illustrations. He works in IT and sometimes makes music as The Desks. He ran the 20th recording project from 2005 to 2013, gathering together songs recorded on the 20th of each month.
If you have any questions, comments or ideas, please get in touch. You can email us at email@example.com.
Risks and challenges
We've finished the words, pictures and layout, and the book is ready to go to the printers.
We don't have full control over printing and shipping so may encounter problems with these.
If so, we will work hard to resolve any issues, and keep you updated along the way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (29 days)