About this project
Looks like you just missed us:
We have more projects coming up, and are currently trying to get Concept Cards into a number of stores (both online and Brick+Mortar).
To stay informed check out the project updates, and sign up to our mailing list at www.conceptcards.co.uk.
Plot Cards Are:
- Two 56 card decks of playing cards. (Standard Plots and Epic Plots)
- Printed on high quality cardstock so that they will last for years of use.
- 112 fantasy plot-lines that can be used as short side plots in an ongoing story, or can serve as the foundation for a whole campaign.
- Usable for hundreds of unique games... most of which haven't been invented yet!
- The third of the Concept Cards line, which includes Locations and Characters.
- Detailed plots, each with five separate aspects.
Other Concept Cards Decks
While this kickstarter is primarily to fund the production of the new Plot Hooks decks, it's also an opportunity to pick up any of the five previous decks:
- Characters Deck: From Gravediggers to Assassins, these are all low fantasy, and the sort of people you could encounter in your average medieval tavern.
- Epic Characters Expansion: As your party advances they may start to run into kings, vampires, demigods and possibly even deities. Epic Characters can add these to the base deck, or can be used on its own for high fantasy games. This deck consists of a set of major arcana and norse runes.
- Rural Locations Deck: Mountain Passes, Hidden Shrines, Charcoal Pits and other low-fantasy locales that are spread across the countryside.
- Urban Locations Deck: Markets, Temples, Taverns and Cake Shops: and like all the decks every card has a twist that can make it more than it seems.
- Epic Locations Expansion: Containing 26 urban and 26 rural cards, the Epic Locations expansion adds high fantasy, worldshaking, locations to your game. This deck consists of two sets of major arcana.
£1800+: We'll produce a second 56 card deck: Epic Plot Hooks. These will be larger hooks, for longer stories and higher level games. The deck will include a set of 22 Major Arcana and 4 Knights to turn the first deck into a full Tarot deck. The remaining 30 will include 24 cards inspired by the Norse Runes. -Achieved
£2400+: We'll commission a new set of suit symbols specifically for the Plot Hooks deck. -Achieved
£3000+: An updated Character Cards deck will become available, containing 54 cards from our original Character Cards product. -Achieved
£4000+: A second Character Cards deck, including the Major Arcana, Four Knights and a set of gods and demigods inspired by the Norse Runes. Achieved
250 backers or £5000+: A unique game for the Base Plot Hooks deck
300 Backers or £6500+: A second new game, for the Epic Plot Hooks deck.
350 backers or £8000+: A third new game, for the Epic Characters deck.
400 backers or £10,000+: A fourth new game, for the Base Characters deck; replacing Character Trumps from our original kickstarter (+we'll still post the rules for Character Trumps online for you to read)
As people have such varied tastes, we can't have a perfect pledge level for everyone, so we encourage you to make your own, increase your pledge to add any of the following:
+£2: A digital copy of one of the previous Concept Cards decks.
+£5: We'll sign one of your decks.
+£6: Repeat Backers Only: Get an Epic Characters deck, and the two new cards from the Base Characters deck
+£9: An extra deck of Concept Cards (including a PDF version)
Double your pledge: Double everything you're getting (excludes limited reward levels)
Previous concept cards decks are: The original Character Cards (digital format only), Urban Locations, Rural Locations and Epic Locations.
Character Cards Update:
The first in the series of concept cards, Character Cards were printed in 80 cards deck. Those have sold out, and are no longer available.
Those first edition decks proved far more expensive to print and post than the 54 card decks we're now using, due to their non-standard size, so we've decided to produce a new 54 card version of the character cards deck, to enable future reprints.
International Shipping Costs
As we get so many orders from the US we've managed to arrange discounted shipping for US backers, so there's no extra charge. For international backers within the EU we'll need £3 extra on your pledge and for those outside the EU we'll need £5 extra (however many decks you pledge for).
Risks and challenges
This is our third Kickstarter, and we've learnt a lot from each previous project.
The major complications in our first project were two-fold:
1) Producing custom large-print decks for a small number of backers. We tried to do this at a price point the backers could afford, but in doing so we ended up losing money on each of those decks.
This taught us that we needed to be more careful when taking suggestions from our backers; we have to thoroughly check the costs and work out every step required for anything new we want to offer.
2) Postage costs: We used "squeeze goals"; squeezing more cards into the base deck, to fuel the growth of the first kickstarter. This produced an 80 card deck, which turned out to be twice as expensive to deliver to backers as the original 56 card deck would have been.
It's for that reason that we now produce multiple 56 card decks. The delivery costs stay lower for longer, allowing us to keep offering good value and yet end up with our balance sheet in the black :-).
In the second kickstarter the largest mistake we made was actually right at the end: When sending out the surveys to gather people's addresses, we failed to confirm which decks they'd backed for. This meant a mad scramble of private messages to gather those important details before our shipping process could be completed.
We've learnt from this that we need to write the survey questions ahead of time. Fortunately, Kickstarter have now added the ability to save surveys, making it far easier for us to do so :-).
We know that we'll encounter some new problems in this kickstarter, but we also know that we've shown, time and again, that we have the wherewithal to deal with whatever issues arise, and the strength of will not to give up.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (37 days)