Nereus Unbound - Build, Explore & Thrive in a massive, open world designed to emulate the relaxed tone of our favorite classic RPG's
Nereus Unbound - Build, Explore & Thrive in a massive, open world designed to emulate the relaxed tone of our favorite classic RPG's Read more
We are Dread Jasper Entertainment, a small team of indie developers with a passion for exploring the fresh and often niche side of gaming. We are here to share our vision for a first person RPG and building game inspired by some classic games whose mechanics have not aged a day.
Looking back I can still remember the first time I played Dark Cloud; it let us look into a world that was a blank canvas, waiting for you to find its pieces and fill the world with them in any way you wanted. It gave us a distinct feeling that the game was living on long after we put it down for the night. Even years later that feeling stuck. Perhaps it was the fusion of RPG and building sim that pushed the genre boundaries and gave life to your creations. You could spend hours exploring the world you created, stopping to watch it live on alongside you and its inhabitants enjoying the changes you had made to their small world.
Other games have quite successfully captured both of these game mechanics on their own. The hundreds of hours I spent as a child playing SimCity with my father and the thousands of hours later put into RPG's such as the Elder Scrolls franchise, most notably Morrowind and Oblivion, are a testament to the quality of both genres. But few have successfully reproduced that fusion. Finally a game has come to fill that gap...
Nereus Unbound is that game.
As some time went by, it became obvious that although we have the skills and people we need to do this, we need a little help from the gaming community we are so proud to be a part of.
We already have a strong team of people put together for this project with a wide range of critical skills. Skills like Game Design, Programming, 3D and 2D art, sound design, and much more. But we need your help to give our team the tools they need, and the time necessary to polish and flesh out this game from rough alpha to polished final product. Finishing the core feature set will take $35,000, broken down roughly like so:
Beyond the bare minimum funding goal needed to finish the game, we have a set of stretch goals. These features aren't strictly necessary for the game to be be a complete project, but we feel there is so much more we could do to make this gaming experience ideal. After listening to the advice of many of our peers and friends and taking some time to discuss and assign a dollar figure to these additional features that will really make our game shine, our list came together.Below is our best effort to put together and quantify our stretch goals, if you think we missed anything or have a suggestion please don't hesitate to drop us a line at ( Staff@DreadJasper.com ). Or if you want to make an even bolder statement, buy the one dollar pledge and leave us a comment on this page.
Here are some of the major features and game play mechanics you will find in the game.
An advanced civilization crumbles as the icecaps melt and fill the world with water.
The survivors reform civilization, and 100 years of hard scrabble survival pass.
Now the apocalypse is over, life is easy again and happiness blooms.
Help rebuild and thrive on the endless Nereus Sea.
Five massive ocean regions cover an almost entirely developed surface:
- 5 mega cities with sprawling procedurally generated suburbs to explore
- Unique and massive environments, including region specific biodiversity and landmarks
- Tons of lore and subtle stories for you to discover and enjoy
Build your fleet of huge city bearing vessels all linked together by a network of bridges:
- Choose the placement of each vessel in the fleet. Maybe you fancy a flying V? Or a cube surrounded by escorts. The fleet is yours to build
- Unlock new and larger ships. Upgrade the ones you already own
- Tons of unlockable unique vessels with their own history and lore
Build and Upgrade the city. In Nereus Unbound we offer a deep and complex building system with a streamlined and easy to use interface:
- Build and upgrade your city from hundreds of possible building designs
- Create the city of your dreams, don't let stats or bonuses dictate how your city is built
- Deep and complex building mechanics to be explored, or left alone. The city is yours to build and can compensate if you choose not to get your hands dirty with the little details
- Plenty of rewarding opportunities to dig deep in the building system to optimize and create efficiency if desired
- Alter and manipulate your city's economy, or let it look after itself
As you build the city of your dreams, many NPC's in the world will take notice and come to live in your city, offering you unique buildings and opportunities for new and exciting stories and quests:
- Some NPC's are easy to attract, while others require a deeper effort. For example, some may require a great diversity of culinary opportunities while others may desire a strong security force
- Every unique NPC has a story, desires, and aspirations. Chat with them over tea or dinner at a local restaurant and you will be rewarded with a wealth of lore and quest opportunities
- NPC's are aware of each other, and will interact. Place two compatible NPC houses in close proximity and watch as they begin to form a family and unlock new stories
Explore and Salvage
Dive to the depths of the sea and explore the ruins of an ancient and advanced civilization. Salvage everything to feed the expansion of your own city:
- Dive and explore the major cities. 5 main mega cities to explore (7 with stretch goals)
- Salvage everything metal. Old cars, buildings etc.
- Use special tools to suction clouds of chemicals out of the water
- Find ancient and advanced technology that can unlock upgrades for the city or your dive suit and tools
- Find collectibles
- Avoid giant mutated sea creatures that would like to eat you
- Solve difficult puzzles to access high value loot
- Avoid diving related death, due to high pressure, cold exposure, and drowning
- Explore procedurally generated areas not normally accessible from the main city
Live and interact with the city:
- Explore the city
- Talk to NPC's to gather side quests and major story arcs
- Talk to NPC's to upgrade many things: tools, diving gear, buildings, and just about everything else
- Rent available houses for your own. Decorate and furnish. Gather unique trophies and other special items from side quests to put in your house
- Shop at stores and the bazaar
- Visit restaurants, cafes, and bars. Enjoy a meal or launch the Oracle Drone to start building. Invite other NPCs to dine with you for story progression
- Explore the city and find hidden items for your collections
- Solve mysteries, negotiate, and resolve conflicts within the city
Relaxed Pace & Tone - This isn't a hack and slash game, or a mindless shooter, its a building and living game. With this in mind we have crafted the pace and tone of the game to follow the users desires. With each game day broken into several pieces and time moving only when the player is ready to progress, we eliminate the stressful urgency that would otherwise get in the way. Now there will still be deeply atmospheric scenes, and times when urgency is felt. However these scenes will be neatly packaged and accessible when the player is mentally prepared for them.
Deep Immersion - No distracting UI's, tooltips, or HUD's on screen to take away from your immersion. Everything in game will be through the eyes of the character. unless you are wearing a dive suit or looking at the control panel of your Oracle Drone, you will never have to lose the immersive feeling. (Note: a crosshair in a variety of different styles will be available for gamers who suffer from motion sickness).
Main Character Gender Options - At any time during game play the player may choose to swap their gender presets between one of three available options:
Changing the gender preference will swap the characters appearance and voice, as well as the pronoun used by NPC's in conversation.
Expansive Soundtrack - Professionally scored soundtrack by our very own in house sound engineer. Nothing better to set the mood with. Soundtrack will be available bundled with the game or on its own at release.
Player Housing - Start small and work your way up to a mansion, with over a dozen planned player homes, you will always have a place of your own to decorate with the furniture and awards you accumulate on your adventures.
Building Interiors - Most large buildings will have fully explorable interiors, build them and take some time to walk around. Who knows what you'll find?
We are aiming for early January 2016 - but take that with a grain of salt. Even the most coordinated team can get behind. If we start hitting some of the bigger stretch goals, we will want to spend a bit more time making the most of your investment.The good news is, our team is comfortable wearing a lot of hats, and we can do nearly everything in house. That means our deadlines and goals are always realistic since we know exactly what's needed and when. We are all used to working under pressure, in fact we all thrive on it. With an already established release map in place, we plan to be as transparent about our process as possible.
Platforms & Distribution
Nereus Unbound will be available on PC, Mac, and Linux.
If all goes well, the plan is to distribute the game on Steam, but we will also be making the game available on a DRM-free platform, and GOG.com and the Humble Store are both on the books. We have a firm DRM-free policy; outside of Steam's mandatory DRM we will never disrespect our audience with an external DRM solution.
We plan to build and polish the core gameplay first over the course of our year of development, releasing to early access on Steam on our deadline. After that we will release a free DLC bundle fleshing out the content of the game until such a time as we feel it is complete. We will never offer paid/for profit DLC unless the community as a whole requests something outside of our development plans.
As an indie dev group, we know how hard it can be to get started, so we will be releasing a number of the more generic assets we generate to the public (free for commercial use of course). While we can't guarantee the quantity of assets we will be releasing, we will do our best to give back in any way we can.
Enough of all that stuff, lets get to the rewards!
If you have a suggestion for a new or better reward. Or you want to combine two feel free to drop us an email at Staff@DreadJasper.com.
Risks and challenges
We are a strong and well educated team, but even the best team can get behind.
If we ever feel that we are getting behind or a deadline is in danger of getting pushed back, our policy is transparency across the board. We aim to update as regularly as possible for even the smallest of issues.
I should address the elephant in the room here - we are a new team, working together on a large scale project. Can we even manage something this large? The answer is yes, through strong planning, we can keep the game compartmentalized and ready to be layered together like an onion.
We are also not afraid to seek the advice of our community. We will be running regular polls and user feedback sessions through development. We want to hear from you!
Thank you for reading. We look forward to working with you!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)