Update #9: Test #1
Apologies for the lag in updates in the last few months. We've been getting our hands dirty (literally, with water that isn't, say, Poland Springs) down by the river.
After our Kickstarter campaign ended, we put all of your donations to use by spending a month testing the Primary Filtration at the East River. We looked at 6 different membranes in collaboration from Gunderboom and analyzed them across 16 different parameters with the help of professors and researchers at the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory at Columbia University. In short, we spent four weeks in our own + Pool Science Lab in a trailer on the shore of the river. We tested for things like turbidity, color, fecal coliforms, suspended solids, etc. We got very good at incubating poop.
And the results were great. The membranes performed as well if not better than expected in some cases and provided a great base to move into the next filtration layer. It'd be a lie to say that filtration is solved, cause it's not. In fact we still have PLENTY of work to do and right now we're starting to plan out Test#2, which we hope to do in February.
Here's some pictures from Test#1:
Test#1 tested Layer#1, which seems to make sense.
Mr. Wesley LeForce setting up the tank, pre-filter, murky river water.
Filtration membranes were slotted into the tank and river water was fed in on the right, slowly getting cleaner as it moved to through the membranes to the left.
Some of the membranes we tested and a dirty, empty tank.
Different water types, not for resale.