simCEO: an online, classroom simulation in entrepreneurship, economics, and personal finance. We want to make it virtual. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on December 9, 2012.
About this project
We are seeking funds to develop a virtual student environment for the simCEO simulation (www.simceo.org)
Overview of simCEO
SimCEO is the only dynamic simulation played entirely online in which a group of students, over a fictional 10-year period:
- Each CREATE a company
- RESEARCH each others' companies online
- TRADE: Manage a portfolio starting at $10,000 by buying and selling shares in each others' companies which immediately change share prices.
Participants "win" in one of two ways:
- To be a successful entrepreneur by creating a business that ends with the highest share price
- To be a savvy investor by ending with the largest portfolio value
What do teachers think?
"Truly unique! My students loved it. I loved the flexibility. I integrated content from India's colonial period. More than engaged, I could hardly hold my students back. They applied content and had fun. I'll pass this on to other teachers." Matt Baughman - Michigan
Screenshots of the current version
The teacher can share News Articles on the right. Or, the teacher can create news articles, share links, or information and messages on the left.
(In this example, the teacher only selected 7 "assignments" for students to complete. The teacher can choose assignments - from pre-created assignments - or create customized assignments.
A short video showing how students buy/sell shares and the immediate price effects.
Project Overview and Description
The desire for this re-design has come from teachers and students. The simulation represents a very engaging (and unique) way to learn, but the design of the site is fairly text-heavy and outdated. We know that the new design will not only make the simulation more enticing and attractive, but it will immerse the students into the environment, allowing them to better experience all of the tools, resources, and people that CEOs and personal investors regularly interact with in order to be successful.
Specifically, we are completely re-designing the student home page to make a virtual environment with a student avatar (the user) seated at a board room table who will interact with other avatars. All of the current functions within the site, as well as new functions, will be re-designed in Flash and integrated into the new student home page.
All of the site's programming has been done very successfully with eQuality Solutions. We've had a great relationship with them for the past two years. We have a very rough draft (in MS Word) of the layout of the homepage (attached). Equality will share rough drafts of the design once the project begins, and the phases will consist of both design and programming functionality into the virtual environment.
To help ensure that the project is done efficiently and effectively, we have been fortunate to get the help of some experienced individuals. We have regular meetings during the course of 8 week project to ensure that the project stays on course and the final product is something of which we can all be proud.
Additionally, we want our contributors to stay appraised of the project and provide feedback. Check out our rewards for how you can contribute to the process.
Design Support Team
- Ken Eisner, Online Learning Consultant, Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship (NFTE)
- Christie McKee, Director of Online Learning for the California Council of Economic Education (CCEE)
- Rod Hames, Business Education Teacher
If we are fortunate to exceed our goal, we have some exciting stretch goals to add even more to simCEO.
These are listed in a relative order of priority. Know that every dollar contributed will be put into the additional development of simCEO.
- development of additional avatars to join or be hired for positions on the Board of Directors to provide advice to student-CEO
- development of additional avatars who act as market analysts, sharing news reports on company, industry, or market-wide news stories
- allow the addition of PDFs, .doc and jpg files to be uploaded to share more detailed business plan elements: logos, business cards, company prospectus, etc.
- funding for regional, state, or national competitions with entrepreneurial or economic organizations
- adding more diagnostics to measure the students investment portfolio choices relative to risk (as compared to the rest of the market).
- the development of an optional interface and resources to allow student-CEOs to partner with community volunteers to assist them with decision-making.
- Teacher training workshops
- add the ability for student-users to “sell short”
- interface to allow teacher-users to submit articles and environments for others to use
- translations into other languages
- the development of a TV news channel to be embedded within the simulation to deliver market news as well as stories and interviews with student CEOs.
- adding quarterly earnings projections along with quarterly results
- adding the development of LIVE conference calls between student-CEOs and the teacher or other teacher-selected individuals. These conference calls would be recorded and stored as additional research items for students to research companies.
Risks and challenges
There is a risk that the project will be over-budget or take longer in development than expected. We've had a very good working relationship with our programmers for the last two years - but this will be our first experience with developing virtual environment.
We've had many preliminary discussions with eQuality about this process, so we feel prepared.
Because this is our first time in developing a virtual environment, we are grateful to have already arranged the support of our Design Team to assist us along the way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)