We believe that sitting down and playing games with friends, family, or even people you've just met can be a wonderful way to bond and spend time. With the popularity of board games growing in our current community, we wanted to be able to provide a place that the community, and anyone visiting, can come and try out and enjoy games!
We know very well that getting in to gaming can be very expensive and intimidating. The goal is to create a space in downtown Wichita that anyone can feel free to come in the doors and try out old and new board games without the commitment of having to buy an expensive game you've never tried!
- Provide a comfortable space for anyone to come in to game and relax
- Have delicious drinks and treats available for people to enjoy
- Help anyone learn a new game by providing the necessary information and instruction needed
- Display a large variety of games, so anyone's interests can be met (including classic games, contemporary games, and board games available to younger and older audiences alike)
- Gaming retail that allows you to buy any game you fall in love with
We will be located at the northwest corner of Douglas Avenue and Market Street in downtown Wichita! We are very excited out the location, and the events and community that are already in that area.
We will be working with 2,648 square feet. Inside, we plan on having a counter with seating, as well and several smaller tables, and a couple of larger tables to meet everyone's gaming needs. There will also be a corner of the store dedicated to comfy seating, featuring a couple of couches and overstuffed chairs. Not only do we want people to come in and game their hearts our, we want to make the space accessible to anyone who needs somewhere to study or just relax.
There will be a walkway of shelving that will display all of the games we have available to demo, as well as separate shelving that shows all of the games you can purchase.
There will be a small fee to play any of the games in our library, but our goal it to keep this fee as reasonable as possible. For tables of 2-4 players, there will be a $5 fee for all day access, and the fee will go up to $8 for tables of 5-10 players. There will also be a shelf full of free games if you'd like to come in and just try those out.
Memberships, or passes, will offer anyone who comes in on a regular basis a cheaper way to play. Monthly memberships are valued at $20, and seasonal memberships lasting for 3 months are available for $50. Walk in with a membership card and you can play any of the available games with up to 3 other friends, all day every day.
We are working with our design team to come up with some Kickstarter exclusive swag! Throughout the campaign we will be keeping you updated on what everything will look like.
Button: The Sente logo button will be 7/8 inch and will have a design only available through Kickstarter.
- T-shirt & Tote: The Sente T-shirts and tote bags will have the same Kickstarter exclusive design, and the T-shirt will be available in multiple sizes.
- Mug: The mug will be available in one size, and will get you 20 cents off of coffee anytime you use it.
- Games for You & 1 Friend: This reward gets you and 1 friend unlimited board game access for one business day at Sente. This reward can be used at any point within the first business year. You will be given a card that will be stamped for your free drinks.
- Games for You & 5 Friends: This reward gets you and 5 friends unlimited board game access for one business day at Sente. This reward can be used at any point within the first business year. You will be given a card that will be stamped for your free drinks.
- Season Pass: You will get a card that allows you and 3 friends unlimited game access for 3 months. This card will go into effect as soon as we open the doors. Notifications will go out to anyone who recieves this awards, so they know when they can start using their pass.
- Personal Featured Games: For a 1 month period, you will be able to choose up to 3 games that we will feature in a spot in the store. We will include your name with the games. The lineup for this will be on a first come, first served basis. These featured games will start the second month that we are open, on the first day of the calendar month.
- Backer's Plaque: The backers plaque is a plaque that we will hang on the wall permanently showing that you helped us out in the Kickstarter! We will include either a full name, or just a surname if you prefer, but please no screen names.
- Backer's Party: This reward will be invite only, and an invitation to this will also get you a gift bag presented at the party, full of the Sente swag. This party will take place before we open the doors to the general public, so you will get a sneak peak before everyone else does and see what you helped to make. Sente will be open to you for 3 hours that evening, and we will have all of our amenities available for you to use.
- Private Party: You and up to 50 friends will have access to Sente for one evening. Your event can be up to 5 hours long, and you can bring food of your choice. We will hand punch cards out to every guest so they can receive 1 free in house beverage. Everyone will have unlimited access to the games for that event. This reward must be used within the first business year.
Risks and challenges
This is an enormous undertaking and we're under no illusion that it's going to be smooth sailing the whole way, but your support helps make this project a reality in a way that would otherwise be impossible on our own.
Setting up shop in a historic building means that additional care has to be taken with renovations. Refurbishments that are in keeping with the original aesthetic of the location are an ideal we would like to pursue, but it comes at the expense of time and money.
A large board game library isn't enough, if we're going to stand a chance at really becoming the stepping stone to tabletop games for as many people as possible, Sente needs to have a truly gargantuan library. Like anything else, this library will take time to cultivate.
Getting the right people working with us, and creating a process that is easy and intuitive for the customer are milestones that need to be met as quickly as possible in order to be successful, but remain one of the most elusive aspects of good business.
There will be challenges that can be solved with money, and challenges that can be solved with time. The best way forward is to be as transparent as possible with you, our backers, to make sure we're solving problems the right way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)