About this project
We are in the final minutes of this campaign. A campaign in which time and again, you rocketed past milestones, and challenged us to dream bigger!!!
We tried to express our thanks in this video. It isn't enough. But we hope you will accept it as our best effort.
We know there are lots of unanswered questions. Give us time over the upcoming weeks and months as we move through the production process. Keep sending us your ideas and questions. We read EVERYTHING that you send, and take it to heart. We are going to be looking for your input and feedback along the way, so let's keep the conversations going.
This is just the beginning...!!!
and, respect, from Pied Piper, DIRECTIONS and Studio Rikka
WE LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You guys make $200K seem like no big deal!!! Just breeze on through, and where will you stop?!?!?! You AMAZE us!!!!
In the closing minutes of this campaign, we will post a final video to celebrate our PHENOMENAL backers!!! You have all made this the campaign of a lifetime!!!!
Campaign end times -- June 22 (Sat) 2013:
07:59am San Francisco/PST
10:59am New York/EST
Never, ever in our wildest craziest fantasies did we EVER even allow ourselves to imagine this phrase: 1000% funded !!!!!!!
Can this really be true...??? Someone pinch us, hard!!! Please!!!
Onto lot #4 of the canister + coffee mugs!!! We love you all!!!
3 hours later, and we are onto lot #3 of the canister + coffee mugs!
Inspired by our backers (talking to you @Michael) we are going to number the canister boxes by lot #/pledge order. (If we can, we'll number the actual canisters, but it depends on the packaging.) This is one of the beautiful things about creating new things for our fans!!!
Holy moly, the canister + coffee mugs are all gone!!! In under an hour!!! You never cease to amaze us...The canisters are produced in lots of 70, so we will now add lot #2...
Thanks to the incredible participation of our backers, we've been able to work with our Japan-side partners to produce the Official Time of EVE coffee cup and canister for this campaign! Please see the new $125 and $145 rewards. So you can ALWAYS enjoy your Time of EVE : )
We can't believe the number on the screen: are we really over $150,000?!?!
And, in addition to expressing our continued, daily, ongoing astonishment, we have an announcement.
(1) Pale Cocoon and Mizuno kotoba (Aquatic Language) will be included as a physical release (probably DVD, per Yoshiura's preference, but we are still exploring the Blu-ray special feature option) for all backers at the $55 tier and above!!!
(2) To make this happen, we have gotten our backers' overwhelming approval to postpone the release date to January 2014. The main reason is licensing issues for the two shorts, but this extra time also will let us create a truly awesome Blu-ray release for you all!!!
Thank you to every one of our truly extra-extraordinary backers!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!Woah!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, thank you, everyone for pulling us to the top of our stretch goal!!!!! The Official Fan Book is going to happen!!! We love you all!!!!! We will update the tiers now!!!
NEW STRETCH GOAL: $126,000 English edition of the Time of EVE Official Fan Book!!!
Kotobukiya, the Japanese publishers of the official fan book, have bent over backwards to enable us to publish the Official Fan Book in English. The book features:
- Characters (1 to 2 pages on each and every character that appears in the 6 episodes and movie, with comments by Yoshiura)
- Story (5 to 6 pages on each episode, with storyboard highlights, with comments by Yoshiura)
- Background art Yoshiura's works (1 to 2 pages on his previous creations)
- Interviews with Yoshiura, producer Tom Nagae, and the main voice actors
- Behind the scenes (2 pages on creating the 2D/3D animation)
- Five essays by experts in robotics, SF aesthetics, visuals, and Asimov
- Short story about Sammy by Hiromi Asano
We've priced the production costs (translation, layout/design, and printing) at $16,000, and so we're setting our sights on $126,000. Thank you everyone for creating the momentum to get us this far!!! We love you all!!!!
Our backers lifted us from $50,000 all the way to $110,000 without a stretch goal in sight! Where is all that cash going to? Masaki's law school tuition? A new piano for Rikuo? If only they were so lucky. After accounting for reward delivery costs and admin costs (Kickstarter and credit card processing fees), we have allocated the funds as follows (and we do hope Rikuo and Masaki -- and YOU! -- approve):
- Additional subtitles in Russian, Portuguese, and Chinese (including the special features). Also, we have received incredibly generous offers for fansubs in various languages, and will be adding to the list of languages in the next few days.
- Japanese subtitles for the movie, for fans who want to get closer to the original dialogue
- Brand-new illustration for the cover by character designer Ryusuke Chayama
- Package design by Tsuyoshi Kusano, who has handled the design for all of the Time of EVE releases to date
- Additional budget for the English dub, to make sure the studio (to be announced soon -- really!!) has the resources to do a stellar production.
- act 0.5: SAME English translation -- this is a short story that Yoshiura wrote right after finishing the movie. It was originally published in the booklet that accompanies the movie Blu-ray in Japan, and we are extraordinarily lucky and blessed to have gotten permission to include it in the booklet for this overseas Blu-ray release.
STRETCH GOAL: $50,000 English DUB! See update #2!
We love you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We've heard fans ask for an international Blu-ray release of Time of EVE: The Movie. Just how deep does this interest run? Talk to us, we're listening!
Time of EVE debuted way back in August 2008 as a video streamed on Yahoo in Japan and Crunchyroll outside of Japan. A few people knew about director Yasuhiro Yoshiura from his 20-minute short Pale Cocoon, but he was still very much a diamond in the rough.
The original plan was to release an episode of Time of EVE every 2 months. But this was an independent production, with a small team doing pretty much everything in-house. For fans from the beginning, you will certainly remember how 2 months stretched into 4...!
The enthusiasm from fans kept the team going, and let us know that we should stay the course: no compromises in the storyline or artwork. By the final episode in September 2009, the series had a dedicated following in Japan and overseas. We decided to link together the 6 episodes into a feature film experience, which then went onto a nationwide theatrical run that exceeded everyone's expectations. Honors for the movie include official selection for the Pusan International Film Festival and the New York International Children's Film Festival.
We thought the iTunes Store release of the movie would suffice...But, we keep getting requests from fans around the world asking for the movie on Blu-ray. Folks, this is an indie film, we're not a big Hollywood blockbuster production. Is there really support out for the movie on Blu-ray outside of Japan...?
What is the Blu-ray release going to include?
- Time of EVE: The Movie, with subtitles in English.
- UPDATE: Subtitles in French, Italian, German and Spanish too!
- UPDATE: With English-language dub!
- We will also include bonus features with interviews of the main cast and director Yoshiura Yasuhiro. We are still looking through our video archives to see what we include.
- UPDATE: The bonus features will also be subtitled in French, Italian, German and Spanish.
- 40-page art book (we are really excited about this!) (in English only)
- For those who purchase this Blu-ray through the Kickstarter campaign, each Blu-ray will include 8 postcards of the characters. This is the complete set of postcards, and is an exclusive for this Kickstarter campaign!
- UPDATE: The Blu-ray will be released in the US and the UK (with British Board of Film Classification rating).
- UPDATE: UK residents please select "US shipping" so you don't get charged for international shipping!!!
- UPDATE: The Blu-ray will be region free
This Blu-ray is our chance to share the original artwork and character designs, and to take you into the creation process. We are really, really excited!
How is the movie different from the 6 episodes?
The movie connects the 6 episodes with new scenes, and includes a new beginning and ending. The response that we've gotten is that the movie is a substantially different experience from watching the 6 episodes. The movie takes you outside of the Time of EVE cafe into the world of the Ethics Committee, and reveals more of the backstory of the characters. Plus, there is a new ending song by no less than Kalafina, which has been a very exciting collaboration for this project. As Akiko would put it, the movie and the 6 episodes "look the same, but in inside they are completely different."
What does this campaign cover?
We've set the campaign goal to cover the production costs for the Blu-ray, which basically are creating the Blu-ray content itself (subtitling, creating the bonus material, package and art book design) and replication.
Yes, there are other ways to get a Blu-ray of the movie to fans outside of Japan. But, these involve surrendering rights to the movie for large swaths of the world, for lengthy expanses of time. We looked carefully at the options, and then looked back at the roots of this project. From the very beginning, we booted strapped Time of EVE, episode by episode; and the direct rapport with fans has fueled this project throughout. We decided to hold onto the rights, and see how new distribution technology, and now crowdsourcing, can enable us to stay true to the original vision behind Time of EVE, and reach out to fans directly. Is it the best way? That, we can't answer. But, it the path we've taken from the start.
Risks and challenges
We are fortunate to have the creative elements needed to create this Blu-ray. The main challenges are nailing down the logistics and coordinating the production schedule to make sure we get the very best experience to our fans.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (29 days)