What's a WineMinder?
We'd all like to think that we're wine buffs. You might even know the difference between your pinot noir and pertit verdot and speak of ‘cab-sav’ as a by-word, but do you really know how to get the very best from your wine?
The average oenophile knows what they like and where to buy it. They also know which wines need to breathe and which glasses produce the best flavour. They might even know at what temperature to serve their favourite bottle and will smile knowingly when you question their lightly refrigerated reds. However few of us know how, where and how long to keep our wine for the very best drinking experience!
WineMinder seeks to take the stress from these pressing problems. Created by three enthusiasts tired of wasting wine by keeping it past its prime, WineMinder is an innovative and unique cellar management system which not only monitors the state of your cellar, but uses the collected data (including food science and expert reviews) to forecast the shelf life of your collection on a bottle-by-bottle basis.
How WineMinder works
The reactions that take place in a bottle of wine accelerate with both age and storage temperature. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean you can leave your favourite bottle in the sun for a few hours and have it miraculously turn into the perfect drink! Wine is ideally stored between 12-14 degrees C, but this isn't as easy to maintain as it might sound – we don't all have cellars carved in rock, or expensive wine fridges to store that upmarket vino.
That's where WineMinder comes in by tracking the development of your wine, based on how it's stored. In addition, WineMinder uses expert reviews to tell you how long to store your wine in the optimum conditions, then uses proven food science to tell you when to drink it!
WineMinder works by placing an innovative wireless temperature sensor in the area you choose to store your wine. The wireless technology monitors and tracks the temperature with a feed to a smartphone app. The WineMinder advanced shelf-life algorithm then does all the hard work to work out how much sooner your prized vintages should be enjoyed, ensuring you get the very most out of every bottle!
As you increase your wine collection, simply take a photograph of the bottle and let the WineMinder app do the rest. There's nothing else like WineMinder currently on the market - the innovative technology is set to become a real game-changer for the amateur wine enthusiast, helping them to not just gain the utmost enjoyment from their cellar, but also helps amateur enthusiasts avoid throwing money away by accidentally letting investment wine pass its prime!
The pledges on the right are all discounts to the sale price we're planning, so why not support us AND grab a bargain at the same time? The bonus data pledges won't be repeated, so get in quick!
This is a fantastic opportunity for supporters to help get the ground-breaking WineMinder product into the market, while picking one up for yourself or your wine-loving friend!
- The only product on the market that will monitor your wine collection and tell you when each bottle is at its best, based on how it's been stored!
- Enter your collection into the app by taking a photo of the label or entering the wine details manually to obtain wine notes and a rating from a Master of Wine, based on a 100 point scale
- View your cellar in date order of recommended consumption
- Share your own tasting notes with friends via Facebook or Twitter
- Scan offline - images are saved and upload resumes when you are connected
- See temperature data from your cellar to see how it's performing; zoom to see daily, weekly, monthly or yearly information
- Data is stored on our secure server, and linked to your email address. If you lose your phone, your cellar data is safe.
- User replaceable battery with around 12-18 months of battery life
The fine print...
- WineMinder is currently only available for iOS at the moment - Android will come later once we get off the launch pad!
- The wine database we use has 120,000 wines in it, with around 60,000 detailed reviews by an Australian Master of Wine. The large majority of those wines are Australian; if you want to use WineMinder for other wines, you'll have to enter the details by hand (keep this in mind if you're hitting this site from an international location).
- WineMinder uses an image matching process to identify each bottle of wine. That means we have to establish a reference database of wine labels - we're in the process of doing that, but it's time consuming work! We should start out with about 10,000 labels in there, so if you take a photo and there's no match, we'll do the match in the background. So.. please be patient with that part of the product - we're working on it!
Risks and challenges
We're a fair way down the track with WineMinder, and a launch is in sight! We've developed the app and pre-production prototypes of the hardware, and we're ready to push the button on tooling which will allow us to make WineMinder in volume! At this stage the main challenge is to get mass manufacturing set up and make sure our supply chain runs as smoothly as a 20 year old Grange!
We also need to build our wine image database to make the wine searching process as simple as possible, and no doubt we'll need to tweak the app once we get feedback from dedicated fans! But we reckon we're just about there, which is why we are planning to deliver WineMinders in October!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)