About this project
Our sport is different in various ways: from the layout to the sheer volume of games at a tournament. Our community is also unique with its emphasis on spirit of the game.
When it comes to finding the best footwear for Ultimate the current market is challenging and so we decided to provide a new option for the sport and community. Let me introduce you: TOKAY.
Analyzing Ultimate Frisbee movements have given us great insight in how we use different parts of the foot for different purposes. The forefoot for agility (fakes, cuts, straight and lateral runs, jumps, layouts...) while the heel of the foot for control (landing and deceleration).
From this research we designed the TOKAY shoe to provide the best agility and control to players during play.
The outsole is one of the main parts of a shoe as it ensures the ground grip, but also the run efficiency and stability of the foot. Here are some of our main ideas:
- Under the forefoot, the large number of studs increases the contact points. It also allows a player to distribute the pressure under their foot for better comfort.
- Additional front and rear studs were added to ensure a better grip for extreme movements.
Our feet are complex joints moving in many directions to ensure stability and force transfer, and shoes have to adapt to it, that’s why we provided our sole with two rigidity zones:
- The forefoot part is more flexible to allow the pivot and the natural work of the feet,
- The rear part of the outsole is more rigid to provide a good control when landing and decelerating.
We made the outsole as low as possible, this is very important to have a better movement control. And we made it smooth, so it’s easier to clean.
The upper (textile part of a shoe) was designed with 3 words in mind: lightness, durability and comfort.
- Lightness: by combining the function of each material we can use lighter materials without decreasing the performance of the whole shoe.
As many of you will have experiences, most of the Ultimate cleats break between the upper and the outsole, this occurs mostly because the material is of a poor quality.
- Durability: there is no secret; durability comes with premium quality materials. We sourced our synthetic leather in among famous Italian suppliers working, among others in the security shoe industry. To avoid the weakening of the sensible parts, we used an anti-abrasion TPU film.
Comfort is of utmost importance for a sport where you can play up to 4 games a day!
- Comfort: To bring extra comfort we enlarged the toe box, to avoid the toenails hitting the front of the shoe, but also to let the foot take its natural shape when running. We also choose a 3D mesh as inner material; it’s like small foam that allows the shoe to conform to your foot. Not the foot being shaped by the shoe.
Some players prefer low-cut shoes, to feel more freedom near their ankle; some prefer the ankle support provided by mid-cut shoes… OK! We designed both:
- The low cut model stops just behind the malleolus, to hold the foot as much as possible while leaving the ankle totally free.
- The mid-cut model uses the same 3D mesh as the rest of the shoe to provide a proprioceptive wrap around the ankle without blocking it.
Our sport is co-ed, at TOKAY we love it! Even though it implies a wide variety of feet shapes. Today cleat industry is limited to some standards, it is complicated to fit your feet is they are too small, large, wide, thin, etc… TOKAY decided to solve this problem by:
- Offering a wide range of sizes
- Providing each pair with 2 insoles of different thickness, which allow each one to adapt his shoes to the wideness of his or her feet.
What are stretch goals?
The objective we announced so far (30 000€) is the base required to start the project, it is equivalent to a production of 500 pairs, which is the minimum to talk seriously with a manufacturer.
STRETCH GOALS are higher goals we set so if we rock this campaign everybody takes advantage of the accomplishement :D
To do what?
Reaching higher levels will help us to make TOKAY much more ambitious!
We could develop the brand in more countries, be on more turnaments, closer to you, do more cool stuff for players!
But to reach these levels, we need your help : talk about the project with your teammates, friends, on groups, etc... And we'll manage to unlock these goals!
In the end, it's all about TEAMWORK! ;-)
Today we started this project with very limited funding. We were able to study the needs of the players, make some technical and scientific studies, made the first prototypes and this campaign. But to go further, we need your support! The money raised during this campaign will allow us to:
- Fund the next prototypes and the tests
- Produce the shoes you ordered!
It’s been quite a journey so far, and it’s just the beginning:
An important part of the upcoming process is the testing phase, which will allow us to deliver the best quality shoes. The tests will be led in 2 steps:
- Fitting test: led in one size (7.5 UK, Robin’s size ;-)), we’ll invite a large panel of players having similar feet size (from 7 to 8 UK), but also different feet shapes to validate the shape and determine the size chart.
- Field tests: We want to make sure you receive the best product, so we will send some prototypes to our special roster, so everybody learn from their experiences. Discover them below!
Risks and challenges
To decrease the risks during the production, we based all our design on the experience of the team, and choose only well controlled processes. Still, production is always risky. We won’t decrease the quality of the shoes, but we could suffer delays.
Customs and Fullfilement :
It’s the same for customs and deliveries, we use only materials that shouldn’t make problems at borders, and we will work with famous delivery suppliers to ensure smooth shipping, but it is not excluded that some parcels face issues during that phase.
After the campaign we'll send you a survey to give ou the ability to choose your model, size, delivery adress, etc...
For the line and team pack, each person will have the ability to choose her/his model (mid or low, size).
The final shoes will be grey and blue, with the colored logo, as displayed in the opening picture of the project.
The white and blue shoes you can see on the video are the prototypes and are not de right colors!
If we manage to reach the last stretch goal, then we'll be able to open a new dark color!
We choose a light color from an idea we got from Ben(Illinois, USA) who wrote us : "I prefer white colored shoes because my feet can get quite hot in black shoes during the summer"
When we will come to the sizing choie, every backer will be provided a sheet to measure accurately the size of their feet (length, perimeter).
With this information we will be able to tell you accurately what is your sizing at TOKAY.
Support this project
- (30 days)