Short Film - Inspired by the Singkil dance of the Philippines. Dedicated to the fearless imagination of children everywhere! Read more
This project was successfully funded on February 14, 2014.
About this project
A father reacts to the gender-identity questions of his child. Inspired by the Singkil dance of the Philippines . (An original story, developed into a children's book and now a short film)
During a beer-drinking, sports watching get-together with his macho pals, a young Filipino-American father is conflicted when his boy daydreams of becoming the princess in a Philippine folk dance story. What does the father do? How should he react? Should he “straighten out” the boy to save face in front of his buddies?
WHO WE ARE:
This is a unique collaboration of community VOLUNTEERS:
- Filmmakers from Scary Cow Productions - a non-commercial filmmaking co-op
- Writers and actors from Bindlestiff Studio - a Filipino-American performing arts group
- Dancers and musicians from Likha Pilipino Folk Ensemble - internationally-renowned dance group
Drew Stephens (IMDB - RDM Studios) has won numerous awards for his films and has had his writing published internationally. His last short film ("Viewer Discretion Advised - Tape 96") based on the stage play by Emmanuel Romero, was the winner of an Outstanding Film award in San Francisco, won Best Short Film in Saint Louis, and was a Best Short Film award nominee in Barcelona, among many other screenings around the world. The film was contracted for distribution by Frameline Films. A previous short film, "Slightly Super" won an Audience Favorite award in San Francisco, and was featured in a Disneyland-hosted film festival.
The footage has been completely shot and the film has been edited. Visual FX are 95% complete, We are nearing "picture lock," and focusing now on music, sound and color grading.
TECHNOLOGY & ART:
Shot completely on multiple RED digital cameras, at a minimum of 4k resolution. Mastered at 2k.
VISUAL FX: Half of this film takes place within the children's imagination, as they daydream of a magical forest in the Philippines. Singkil dancers were filmed in a 60-foot green screen studio (the same studio where effects for Star Wars and Pacific Rim were shot), and then "cartooned" into the colorful fantasy forest - drawn by the award-winning illustrator, Marconi Calindas.
WE NEED YOUR HELP!
Our film has been invited to screen in San Francisco in March 2014, but we need some funds for completion - and we need them by Feb 14 or we lose that spot. Drew and Mano have maxed out their credit cards, but only need to raise a small portion more to share this story with others. Specifically, we need this $3,500 for:
- MUSIC SCORE - We have an Emmy-award winning composer (Mitchell Covington) and amazing kulintang musicians from Likha standing by, ready to record the music for our film. But we need money to rent the studio space and gear.
- COLOR GRADING - at the moment, we do not have a colorist who will volunteer their time to grade the film for final screening.
- FILM FESTIVAL FEES - This is the big expense. We hope that our film will be good enough to get into festivals, get "discovered" and then shared with larger audiences. Once we screen in public, we only have about one year to submit to festivals - and the acceptance rate is painfully small. So most filmmakers will submit to dozens of festivals. But did you know that the fees charged for review average about $50 per festival? Thus, if we submit to 60 festivals, the cost would be around $3,000. Ouch.
SPECIAL LIMITED REWARD:
For backers at the $50 level and above, we present our beautiful and touching 30-page children's storybook, signed by the author, artist or story creator. Limited to only 50 copies.
FINAL DAYS - NEW GIFTS AND REWARDS!
Thanks to you, we have met our original goal (roughly 1/3 of our actual expenses). So we would like to reward our backers with some new gifts. They won't bring in much money to the project (after manufacturing costs, taxes, shipping and fees), but every little bit helps! Besides, they are kind of fun, aren't they?
Please contact me if you have any questions, okay? Shipping is only in the USA, but contact me for international options. THANK YOU!
Risks and challenges
- This film has been shot! It is "in the can" as they say -
The $7,500 production costs have already been paid by Drew & Mano, and were completely self-financed.Over 40 people have donated their time and skills to this project. That was a HUGE challenge that has already been met!
You WILL see this film completed. But when? If we meet this Feb 14 fundraising goal, it will allow us to begin screening on March 1st, and begin the festival circuit for the year after. If not, the project will be shelved until we are able to finance completion.
Maraming salamat. Thank you so much for your support!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $10 or more
Muah and salamat! Public thanks on our social media sites (Facebook and/or Twitter). Receive advance updates on progress and screenings.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or more
0 backers Limited (25 left of 25)
BE "CUTE AS A BUTTON" - 1.25-inch diameter pin-backed button, with our "Princess Dinosaur" film logo and the word "Prinsesa." Contact me for International options. Delivery date estimated, based on manufacturer estimates.Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $20 or more
1 backer Limited (19 left of 20)
REFRIGERATOR MAGNET - Either our 2" x 2" rigid square magnet with the Princess Dinosaur film logo, or a business card size flexible magnet with our film poster (pending manufacturing). Contact me for International options. Delivery date estimated, based on manufacturer estimates.Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $25 or more
19 backers Limited (6 left of 25)
Secret advance screener! Temporary link to download full screening version of film, Music Soundtrack, PDF of script.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $45 or more
0 backers Limited (20 left of 20)
CUSTOM-MADE SOUVENIR - After campaign ends, select your choice from several specific gift options (see photo at left or contact me for details). Trucker hat, coffee cup, Shirt (kids style, ringer, basic color, running tank top, polo). Contact me for International options. Delivery date estimated, based on manufacturer estimates. Select gift item, sizes, etc after campaign ends.Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $50 or more
11 backers Limited (9 left of 20)
Limited Edition! The "Prinsesa" Children's Storybook - signed by author, artist or story creator.Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $75 or more
1 backer Limited (4 left of 5)
VIP San Francisco Screening event - meet cast & crew.
One theater ticket to attend the San Francisco premiere screening (tentatively booked for March 1, 2014). Meet with cast & crew (as available) at the screening. Travel & accommodation not included.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $75 or more
0 backers Limited (10 left of 10)
CUSTOM COMBO - Receive the AUTOGRAPHED storybook (see the $50 reward) AND your choice of a custom-made souvenir (see $45 level). VERY LIMITED SUPPLY.Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $100 or more
12 backers All gone!
Your name on the big screen, and sit with the cast & crew at the SF Premiere!
Your name will be shown on screen in the "Thanks" section of the credits. You will also receive one theater ticket to attend the San Francisco premiere screening (tentatively booked for March 1, 2014). Sit near cast & crew (as available and as space permits) at the screening. Travel & accommodation not included.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $150 or more
1 backer Limited (2 left of 3)
Private 1-hour conversation with Director or Writer.
Meet (in person or via Skype, chat, email, etc) with either the Director or Writer to evaluate your own film idea, or to help brainstorm or prep a creative project. Technical help with Visual FX, Editing, etc. Travel & accommodation not included.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or more
1 backer All gone!
“PRINSESA PRIDE FILM FEST ON MAUI!”
• Two admission tickets to one screening of the Maui Pride Film Festival in late Sept/ early Oct, (actual date and program pending)
• 3 NIGHTS HOTEL accommodation in an ocean view standard room at the MAUI SUNSEEKER LGBT Resort (Valid for one year from issuance date, except blackout dates Dec 15 through March 31st)
• DVD or Blu-ray copy of “Prinsesa”
• Autographed copy of our illustrated children’s book, “Prinsesa: The Boy Who Dreamed of Being a Princess”
• Airfare and other travel and incidental costs not included
• Room donated by www.MauiSunSeeker.com in Kihei
• Retail value of this package: $700Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,000 or more
1 backer All gone!
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER credit - True professional film credit, (on the Internet Movie Database, and on screen)
- REWARD OFFER ENDS FEB 2 -Estimated delivery:
- (31 days)