Otter: Online Dispute Resolution for Kids!
Otter: Online Dispute Resolution for Kids!
Help stop bullying by supporting Otter! Unresolved conflict is a leading cause of bullying. Otter helps kids resolve their conflicts!
Help stop bullying by supporting Otter! Unresolved conflict is a leading cause of bullying. Otter helps kids resolve their conflicts! Read more
Otter is an award-winning online dispute resolution (ODR) solution that includes an "automated mediator" and other dispute resolution tools to help kids resolve conflicts.
Conflicts are a huge problem for everyone, but kids are especially susceptible to unresolved conflicts because they usually don't have the skills, time, or means to resolve their conflicts.
Conflicts can start out as something as simple as not saying "sorry" for accidentally bumping into someone, but even a small conflict, if ignored, can turn into a big problem like fighting or bullying.
Numerous studies have shown that unresolved conflict is one of the top reasons for bullying. Victims are able to trace the bullying to conflicts that were either not addressed or mismanaged.
In schools, teachers and administrators don't have any extra time in the day, so conflicts that seem small often get pushed to the side. But this is clearly creating a huge problem for kids.
At Otter, we decided, if adults don't have time, let's train kids to handle conflicts on their own!
Otter gives kids dispute resolution training and then gives them the means to resolve their conflicts. It also uses technology to make conflict resolution efficient, so that it doesn't waste time that should be spent on academic work.
While Otter was initially developed for elementary schools, we discovered that it can be used by any age group, even adults!
Otter is great for:
- District and individual schools looking for a positive way for students to handle conflicts
- Districts and individual schools looking for a uniform way to teach about bullying and offer training around dealing with problems in an appropriate way
- Families (especially families with children) looking for a way to ensure that each member of the family feels heard
- Families looking for a way to make sure that they are dealing with conflict instead of having the same arguments over and over
- Families looking for a way to teach their children appropriate conflict resolution skills
Benefits: Numerous studies have shown the emotional and financial benefits of resolving conflicts. Here are a few ways Otter can help:
- Prevent Bullying- possibly the most important benefit of Otter is that it has the potential to prevent bullying. Of course, we know that Otter can't prevent all bullying, but every child we help makes what we are doing worth it.
- Increase attendance- When students don't feel happy at school, they are less likely to attend. Public schools depend on attendance for funding, and teachers need kids to be in class to learn.
- Improve school culture- When conflicts are resolved, kids are happier. And when students know there is an efficient conflict resolution system in place, they feel supported and safe.
- Save time- When teachers need to deal with small conflicts, they have less time to teach. By empowering students to resolve many of their smaller conflicts, teachers can spend time the way they planned.
Eventually, Otter will be able to be customized to be used as an ODR solution for conflicts at every level of education and in the work place.
*Disclaimer, etc.: Otter has not been fully developed yet. We are still working to make it as comprehensive and efficient as possible. The demo in our video just shows a very bare-bones glimpse at what Otter can offer. If it seems like something is missing, it is probably because we cut it to make the video as concise as possible. However, we love to hear from supporters. You can contact us at Otter.ODR@gmail.com
Risks and challenges
We have a strong, dedicated team, and we are extremely passionate about Otter and know the change it is capable of bringing to kids all over the world. We won't give up until all kids are Otter kids!
The biggest risk is insufficient funds to complete all the work required to implement Otter. All of the funding we receive will be spent to develop Otter.
If you believe in our mission, please consider supporting us and telling your friends about us!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)