In January, 2013, I premiered (with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra) a new composition called The Presidential Suite. Each of the eight movements is inspired by and dedicated to important political speeches dealing with the theme of freedom.
I am seeking support to help with the costs of documenting and releasing the recording of this new music.
This composition is my most challenging project to date. For this work I have:
- Transcribed the speeches for their actual pitches to form the thematic material.
- Used the rhythm, spirit and message to shape the direction and intensity of the arrangements.
- Used the era of the speeches to influence the musical choices.
Both my parents were musicians and civil rights activists which made for a pretty interesting atmosphere in which to grow up. I suppose that awareness of human rights and the quest for freedom has always been an important and moving issue for me, and I am glad I have the opportunity to express some of these thoughts and feelings with music, which is MY way of speaking.
It’s always important to document your creative efforts, but I feel this is a particularly important project as I hope it will seek to remind people of the messages of these great speeches and how much work we still have to make in the area of human rights worldwide.
- “Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You” -- John F. Kennedy
- “Tryst With Destiny” -- Jawaharlal Nehru
- “We Shall Fight On The Beaches” -- Winston Churchill
- “The Four Freedoms” -- Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “Freedom From Fear” -- Aung San Suu Kyi
- “Tear Down This Wall” -- Ronald Reagan
- “The American Promise” -- Lyndon B. Johnson
- “The Time For The Healing Of The Wounds Has Come” -- Nelson Mandela
Great speeches from the souls of great people, even if in another language, have a beautiful intensity and arch. It’s music.
Thank you for your support. Ted Nash
Risks and challenges
Recording a big band, needless to say, is an expensive process, and I need your help to make this happen. To keep costs down I plan to record all 8 movements in one day.
My previous big band recordings - "Portrait in Seven Shades" and "Chakra" - were each recorded in one full day. It is a lot of work. The musicians have to remain dedicated and focused for many hours.
Once the music is recorded it needs to me edited, mixed and mastered. Then, after the recording is ready to go, there is the cost of printing the CDs. The budget I am setting is conservative, but I will cover any remaining costs out of my own pocket.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)