MOONRAKER NEW RECORDING (Canceled)
One of the most requested scores from film music fans around the world in need of a complete new recording.
ABOUT THIS PROJECT
This is a video of a previous John Barry recording made by Tadlow Music. Over the past 20 years Tadlow Music has produced many new recordings from the music of John Barry, including The Lion in Winter, Raise the Titanic, Zulu, The Last Valley and more recently Mister Moses and The Betsy. Now we need YOUR help to realize the dreams of film music fans by creating a new recording of John Barry's score for the outer space 007 adventure Moonraker! All John Barry and James Bond fans out there who have been sending me all those requests to record a new and complete CD of Moonraker... THIS is your chance to get such a recording achieved! THIS is your chance to become a soundtrack producer with your pledge!
WHY MOONRAKER? Over the last couple of decades, Moonraker has proved to be the most demanded John Barry AND the most frequently requested James Bond score in need of a complete recording. The music is one of the finest examples of Barry's more mature approach to Bond, putting a heavy emphasis on symphonic adventure scoring as opposed to the more rebellious, guitar-based sound of earlier films like Goldfinger - some would argue this score IS the turning point in his 007 legacy. But apart from its historical importance, there are numerous other reasons why fans have been requesting this score for a re-recording.
- The original master tapes are reportedly lost. While most of Barry's Bond scores recorded in London were properly archived, Moonraker was recorded in Paris due to contractual obligations. The original master tapes were absent during the 2003 re-release of the 007 soundtracks, making a future expansion highly unlikely.
- The soundtrack album released in 1979 had a 30-minute program and was missing key moments from the score. The album was, and still is, the only official James Bond soundtrack that didn't feature a single second of the famous James Bond Theme! Although the film had at least two major set pieces scored with the theme ("Freefall" and the "Bondola Chase"), none of these moments were selected for the official LP.
- Apart from the two major sequences utilizing the Bond theme, there are over ten minutes of other chilling moments missing from the soundtrack, including the iconic gunbarrel sequence, the pre-titles hijacking of the Moonraker shuttle, Bond's arrival to Chateau Drax, all the action and suspense music in Venice and of course the music for the tense race to shoot down Drax's destructive globes.
- The recording of the original CD suffers in quality when compared with Barry's other 007 scores recorded in London. Due to the contractual obligations mentioned earlier, Moonraker was recorded in the Studio Davout whose acoustics are noticeably worse than CTS Wembley where Barry recorded his other Bond score.
OUR RECORDING WILL PROVIDE:
- A complete recording, accounting for all the original underscore - both released and unreleased cues.
- Pristine Digital 24Bit 96Khz sound quality
- Assured performance by the acclaimed City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Comprehensive liner notes discussing the making of the film and the creation of the score.
ABOUT THE CREATORS
James Fitzpatrick: The founder of Tadlow Music is a producer of about a thousand soundtrack recordings. His previous experiences with Silva Screen and Prometheus Records (apart from his own label) include numerous contemporary scores with the likes of Rachel Portman (The Duchess), Brian Tyler (The Expendables) or Clinton Shorter (District 9). Apart from contracting for London and Prague, he is also an ardent supporter of rescuing, reconstructing and recording classic motion picture soundtracks that are otherwise unavailable. Among his re-recorded scores is music by Miklós Rózsa (Quo Vadis, El Cid), Maurice Jarre (Lawrence of Arabia, Villa Rides!), John Barry (The Lion In Winter, Raise The Titanic, Robin and Marian), Elmer Bernstein (True Grit), Ernest Gold (Exodus), Basil Poledouris (Conan the Barbarian), Jerry Goldsmith (Hour of the Gun, QBVII, Salamander) and the soon to be released score by Bernard Herrmann for Obsession
Nic Raine: The in-house conductor of Tadlow Music, Nic took on the recording and reconstruction of such momentous scores as Miklós Rózsa's El Cid and The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, Basil Poledouris' Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer, not to mention his previous CD releases related to Bond music. Nic actually worked with John as the orchestrator of A View to a Kill and The Living Daylights, so his intimate knowledge of Barry's working methods and preferences makes him the best candidate to undergo the arduous task of reconstructing Moonraker.
The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra: Founded in 1946, The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra has proved to be one the most consistently reliable symphonic orchestra for re-recording classic soundtracks. They've played on hundreds of releases so far, including such epic spectacles as Quo Vadis, El Cid and both Conan scores. Their Barry re-recordings include The Lion in Winter, Raise the Titanic, Zulu, The Last Valley, Mister Moses and The Betsy and selections from almost every film scored by the composer. Apart from re-recordings, the Prague players have had over 25 years of recording scores for British, European, and Hollywood productions, as well as scores from Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Korea, India, Malaysia, Brazil…the list goes on as they are the most in demand orchestra for all international productions
So to all the JOHN BARRY and JAMES BOND fans out there who have sent requests to me to record a new complete CD of MOONRAKER....now is your chance to get such a recording achieved!
If you don't know who Tadlow Music are, and have seen The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra in action....just go to the video page of www.tadlowmusic.com
Risks and challenges
Having been recording films scores for over 30 years I know all the risks involved and do not foresee any real risks if the full funding can be foundLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)