E-Vent: The Energy Smart Vent and Mobile App
E-Vent: The Energy Smart Vent and Mobile App
Replace your out-of-date manual vents with E-Vents. The affordable home-automation solution that increases your comfort & saves energy.
Replace your out-of-date manual vents with E-Vents. The affordable home-automation solution that increases your comfort & saves energy. Read more
Why are we at Kickstarter?
For those of you who don't know what Kickstarter is, let me quickly explain. Kickstarter is a fantastic way of introducing and funding a new product. If enough people "donate" and we reach our "goal," we will have enough funding to manufacture and deliver the E-Vent to you as your "reward". Please check out the different rewards; the faster you "donate" the better your "reward". Thanks again--your "donation" will ensure the E-Vent is successful!
- Lower your power bill
- Increase your comfort
- Control your temperature on a room by room basis
- Increase your heating & A/C efficiency
Traditional heating and cooling systems have failed to regulate a houses' environment because of their inability to control the temperature of the individual rooms. E-Vents easily replace traditional floor or ceiling vents, are self-contained and do not require any special tools to install. Once installed and programmed, E-Vents will increase the efficiency of your heating and cooling systems by managing air flow thoughout your house.
What makes the E-Vent “Energy Smart”?
- Microprocessor Control: The microprocessor controls all the necessary electronics to open and close the E-Vent at set times. All settings downloaded from the Smart Phone App are stored in protected memory and can be recalled by the smart phone at any time.
- Thermal (Temperature) Sensor: Instead of having to “reprogram” the E-Vent when transitioning from Summer to Winter, we included a thermal sensor in the E-Vent. This way, you can program the E-Vent with both A/C and heating settings once, and the E-Vent thermal sensor will check if cool or hot air is being provided by the furnace and then runs the appropriate program.
- Override: The E-Vent also comes with an override limit to protect your furnace and A/C compressor. If temperature limits are reached (showing a strain on the furnace or A/C), the E-Vents will adjust automatically to allow airflow. These limits are defaulted and can be adjusted.
- LED Lights: The E-Vent utilizes LEDs to indicate the following:
- Battery Life: Our tests have concluded that a normal alkaline 9-volt battery will perform a full open and close operation over 1,400 times during its battery life, giving a 2-3 year battery replacement timeline (based on usage).
- Light Barcoding: This patent pending technology allows for communications to and from the smart phone and the E-Vent, keeping the cost low while delivering a secure path between these devices.
- Updatable: The E-Vent Microchip can update as new features become available through the smart phone app automatically.
What if I want to adjust my E-Vent settings?
Much like your thermostat, once you are comfortable with the settings, there is no need to program the E-Vent again. However, as you utilize E-vents throughout your house, you will find that adjustments may need to be made depending upon the air flow in your vent system and the number of E-Vents you use. For instance, you will find that as you close E-Vents in one room, the air will be pushed more to another room, making that room warmer or cooler. At any time you can make simple adjustments to the current program.
Why are you using a smart phone to control the E-Vent?
Smart phones have opened up all sorts of technological advancements. We have worked hard to design a product that is affordable to the average home owner, and at the same time leverages existing technology. Without utilizing a smart phone, we would have had to add additional components like dials and switches, passing the added cost onto the home owner. Pricing the E-Vent so that it pays for itself within a short time was our ultimate goal. Plus, the smart phone app enhances the user experience and improves the user’s ability to fully automate the E-Vents throughout your home.
How do you use the Smart Phone app?
The following describes the current design of the smart phone application. Our goal was to simplify the user experience by using just one screen to program each E-Vent.
Drop Down List: Allows user to add or select each E-Vent in your home
Timer Dial: The E-Vent will have 5 settings: Fully Opened, Fully Closed, 25% open, 50% open and 75% open.
A/C Settings: Select this button to set A/C parameters.
Heat Settings: Select this button to set Heating parameters.
Program E-Vent: Press this button to program the E-Vent.
How to use the smart phone app:
- Download the E-Vent app for Apple or Android.
- Click on the E-Vent app.
- Click on “Heat Settings Button” or “A/C Settings Button”.
- Place your finger on the Timer Dial, then slide your finger to the outside of the circle to “Open” the E-Vent or part of the way to “Partially Open” the vent.
- Lift your finger up to set the time and E-Vent position.
- Repeat #4 until you complete the 24 hour period.
- Press Program Button.
How does the E-Vent and your Smart Phone Communicate?
To keep the E-vent affordable and easy to use, we needed to design a creative way of linking the two technologies together. We call it “Light-Barcoding Communication.” Much like a barcode with different size bars to send a message, Light-Barcoding uses different waves of light to communicate to each E-Vent device. This cuts costs and makes installation much faster than taking the time to pair to Bluetooth or establish an individual IP address on your WiFi-router for each E-Vent. It also protects against unauthorized outside hackers.
E-Vents are designed and made with a rust-proof durable ABS cover and box which easily opens and closes automatically or manually. E-Vents will come in a variety of colors including, white, taupe and brown and include the following standard sizes (based on floor openings):
After funding has occured, you will be emailed concerning your specific E-Vent prize.
By placing E-Vents and E-Smart wireless thermostats in each room—every E-Vent in your house interacts with one other and coordinates with and controls your heater and air conditioner. The E-Smart System is then controlled remotely or locally by your smart phone. The E-Smart System manages your entire home’s temperature, while taking into account the different preferences, priorities and schedules of each and every room.
This upgrade provides the ability to:
- Program every room’s temperature and schedule
- Include an override module to adjust temperature in the room •
- Sense motion and adjust accordingly
- Control the air pressure of your overall heating and A/C system and therefore protect and increase the efficiency of the entire ventilation system.
For instance, if you have a room set to a certain time and temperature, the system will send a signal to your heater to turn ON. The E-Vents throughout your house will then adjust, and send the maximum amount of heat to that room, without over taxing the HVAC system. In this way, the E-Vent Smart System sends heat quickly to where you need it most.
Unlike traditional systems, you now don’t have to heat the entire house in order to be comfortable in one room. The E-Vent Smart System is simple to use, install and adjust. Just imagine the energy savings.
Those who help us reach our goal now will be the first to receive discounts to our E-Vent Smart System.
Circle Design Technology designs and creates printed circuit boards, full plastic prototypes, and custom circuitry. We design products from concept to full manufacturing and delivery. We have manufacturing partners in the USA and overseas. We love what we do and we love this product. We have full confidence in our experience and our team's ability to deliver.
Risks and challenges
We have fully tested our prototype and our communication software. We have discussed and designed the tooling that needs to be made with our manufacturer. We have full confidence in our manufacturer’s experience and ability to deliver, but we understand there is always a risk with production timeliness as we move to full manufacturing.
First, in order to decrease these risks, we work very closely during each step of tooling, production and often spend time on-sight in order to assure quality and preciseness. During our first production sample, if we find an issue we will make the appropriate changes before we deliver. This is always a risk, but we are willing to have the delay in order to assure our customers get what they are promised. Quality is our first priority. We have a QA process designed to catch each possible issues so you, the customer, has a quality product.
Second, we have produced other electronics products and we are confident with our contract manufacturer and their quality and ability to deliver. They have been very reliable in the past and we are confident of their ability to produce large quantities in a short period of time.
Whatever comes our way, we'll let you know if our timelines change. We believe that being transparent and honest about the E-vent’s production is very important. We view our contributors as our partners and we know as long as we keep you informed, you will continue to support our efforts.
Get the Word Out!
Our biggest risk is getting the word out! We are so excited and confident that the E-vent is a valuable product that we now just want everyone to know it. Please forward our link to your friends and family. As soon as we achieve our goal, we start the timeline!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (37 days)