About this project
Campaign Update #18: A Demon's Tale is unlocked! The THREE things to note:
- Gods and Monsters stretch goal is achieved. If you want the LEATHER version. Add 50.00 to your pledge NOW. This is exclusive to the Kickstarter.
- IF you want the perfect bound Tome of the Unclean, also exclusive, make sure you pledge at least at a $60 pledge level.
- If we hit 20K, Stephen Chenault will pen The Demon's Tale, a new adventure set in the bowels of Aufstrag, Hell, where a Demon has called for your aid...but the price is a hard one.
Check out Peter Bradley's Mythic Beings Coloring Book, on Kickstarter now!
STRETCH GOALS IN BRIEF
$15,000 Achieved!: You just scooped up a Players Handbook for $15.00!
$16,000 Of Gods and Monsters Achieved: Jim Ward's Of Gods and Monsters has been a pillar of the C&C shelf for many years. But like the 6th printing, it too has gone out of print. We've tagged some of our best designers to give it a solid edit and overhaul and bring it back to print. New Cover and a new forward by Stephen Chenault! This book ships to all backers at the $60.00 and above pledge level. If YOU WANT IT, but don't want to pledge deep, pledge $1.00 and add it to your pledge amount for $20.00 (its on the add on list below).
$17,000 Poster Achieved: We'll include a full color 12 x 18 poster of the alternate cover. The poster only ships to backers at the $60.00 and above pledge level (this includes retailers).
$18,000 Tome of the Unclean Achieved: We will include an advance PRINT copy of the Tome of the Unclean (soft cover, exclusive to this Kickstarter).The book only ships to backers at the $60.00 and above pledge level (this includes retailers).
$20,000 The Demon's Tale Achieved: A short adventure, penned by Stephen Chenault, that takes place somewhere in Aufstrag. Exclusive to this Kickstarter and only for backers at the $60.00 and above pledge level (this includes rettailers).
What Game Do You Play?
There are a plethora of FRPGs on the market today. You’ve probably played several of them, if not a veritable host of them. You’ve hacked your way through the simple, and you’ve trudged your way through the complex. They all offer a little something, it's why you keep playing.
As you know, all FRPGs are driven by some mechanic. Some are highly intricate, others very simple. You use them to establish the game you want to play. From fast paced to high tactical combat rules to opposed checks on interactions with NPCs. It’s all part of the gaming landscape you’ve helped create.
I’m the same as you. I’ve tried a host of games and a host of rule sets. My game of choice was always AD&D…I played it even after we released Castles & Crusades. I only stopped my AD&D game when the designers (both regular players at my table) revolted and said no more AD&D until I at least tried C&C once. I reluctantly agreed.
I’ve never gone back.
*The above photo was taken at All Things Fun in West Berlin, New Jersey, a fantastic store! Check it out if you are in the area.
It’s Your Game! Take it!
You’ll find with C&C that the game is easy to play, but more importantly is its versatility. You can take your house rules and drop them right on top of the C&C mechanic (the Siege Engine) and keep on playing. You are in control. Take the advantage/disadvantage system from 5E and use it with C&C. There’s nothing stopping you.
What’s even better, because the whole game is driven by attribute checks that have only loose guidelines, the game master chooses what attribute check the player rolls. If they want the wizard to swim better, make the character roll an intelligence check to swim the river. It’s your game. Take it.
How does the Siege Engine Work?
- You are already familiar with Castles & Crusades.
- You’ll find the same classes, races, attributes and many of the same monsters as in most other games.
- To succeed at any action, you need to make an attribute check (unless the CK deems it doesn’t need one)
- There are two types of attributes: Primary & Secondary
- Primary attributes have a base chance to succeed of 12 on a d20. Secondary have a base chance to succeed of 18. The CK adds a challenge level based on hit dice and other circumstance. The character adds their attribute bonus and level to their roll.
- You are playing C&C.
It's fast, versatile and open. Allowing you to make it as complex or as simple as you desire.
It’s easy to use for the whole community. This cuts out you having to set up accounts on the TLG website. Reserve your copy today with one easy step.
ENJOY PETER BRADLEY'S ART? Check out his coloring book! On Kickstarter NOW!
Collector's Cloth Edition
We are going to print a collector's edition, signed and numbered on onion skin inside the book. Produced with a Skivertex Vellin Cloth Cover, with Embossed titling. Also has an embossed silk screen depicting art from many editions on the cover, a ribbon marker and your name stamped on the front cover!
About the Alternate Cover
We are going to give Jason Walton a shout and to do a new, alternate cover for us. He's the guy who brought you this cover:
What is Castles & Crusades?
Castles & Crusades is one of the longest running Table Top RPGs on the market today. Castles & Crusades is a fantasy role playing game where players create characters based on the very simple easy to follow rules of the C&C Players Handbook and conduct adventures run by a game master, the Castle Keeper. It's fun, easy, and offers countless hours of entertainment from role playing to magic wielding and sword swinging...all from the comfort and safety of your dining room table! Learn more HERE!
A Little Background
Thirteen years ago, in 2004-2005, we launched what was then a ground-breaking fantasy RPG. Going against a decade of game design, that saw fantasy RPGs develop ever more intricate rules systems, we decided to turn the horse around. Desiring a simple, fast-paced game we developed an attribute check system (first called the EGG system, but later renamed to the SIEGE Engine) that was just that. Everything non-combat related was solved by attribute checks, frequently chosen by the Castle Keeper (GM). What followed was an insanely easy game, that one could learn to play in a matter of minutes. It allowed for rapid play, particularly in combat situations, but more importantly by releasing the constraints of rules it opened up the table to the imagination of all concerned. Now, anything was possible.
Six printings later…not including the starter sets, White Box, Flip Books and countless digital copies sold…Castles & Crusades is going stronger than ever.
We’ve sold out of the 6th printing and moving on to the 7th printing.
This book will go to print in the next few weeks, but we are here offering it to the Kickstarter community for as low a price as we can manage. This allows our old guard to pick it up if they desire, and new people to buy in if they’ve always wanted to or are just hearing about us. It’s our way of thanking the gaming community all for these years of support!
That is the inevitable question that many long-time fans are going to ask. Almost nothing. We’ve corrected a few typos, put some class lists in alphabetical order and moved a little text. But beyond that this book will be the same book as the 6th printing. The cover itself is part of a larger 4-panel piece that includes the Castle Keepers Guide, Monsters & Treasure and Adventurers Backpack, so changing it is not in the cards.
However, to mark this momentous occasion we are offering an all Cloth Edition of the book. This will come with onion skin signing page signed by Stephen Chenault, Davis Chenault and Mac Golden. It will also include some very nice design work. These will only be available through this Kickstarter. It will not be sold separately.
As you can imagine 13 years of game publishing have created a mountain of support material. Below is a list of items you can add to your Pledge Level.
- The Backpack from the Adventurers Backpack $65.00
- TLG Signature Coffee Mug $9.00
C&C CORE BOOKS
- TLG80107c C&C Players Handbook (7th) (Cloth) $75.00
- TLG80107 C&C Players Handbook (7th) $15.00 (PDF $10)
- TLG80113 C&C Monsters & Treasures (4th) $25.00 (PDF $9)
- TLG8015 Castle Keepers Guide $40.00 (PDF $20)
- TLG80152 Codex of Aihrde $45.00 (PDF $20)
- TLG80172 Of Gods and Monsters Leather $50.00
- TLG8125 Classic Monsters $20.00 (PDF $9)
- TLG81281 Players Guide to Aihrde $20.00 (PDF $6)
- TLG80192 Monsters & Treasure of Aihrde $22.00 (PDF $9)
- TLG81271 Rune Lore $22.00 (PDF $6)
- TLG81301 Codex Celtarum $22.00 (PDF $11)
- TLG81311 Codex Nordica $22.00 (PDF $11)
- TLG81292 Book of Familiars $22.00 (PDF $11)
- TLG80124 C&C CK Screen Portrait $15.00
- TLG81431 C&C SlipCase Edition $125.00
- TLG81411 Tome of the Unclean (advance softcover, only in this Kickstarter) $20.00
Crazy Rare Items
- The Golden Familiar (PDF) $5.00
- Of Gods and Monstres of Aihrde (PDF) $5.00e
- TLG80200 A0 The Rising Knight $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG80201 A1 Assault on Blacktooth Ridge $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG80202 A2 The Slag Heap $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG80203 A3 The Wicked Cauldron $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG80204 A4 Usurpers of the Fell Axe $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG80205 A5 The Shattered Horn $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG80206 A6 Of Banishment & Blight $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG80207 A7 Beneath the Despairing Stone $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG80208 A8 Forsaken Mountain $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG80209 A9 The Helm of Night $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG80210 A10 The Last Respite $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG80211 A11 The Wasting Way $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG80212 A12 The Paladin's Lament $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG80213 A13-A17 Dungeons of Aufstrag $15.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG8075 C1: The Mortality of Green $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG8076 C2: Shades of Mist $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG8077 C3: Upon the Powder River $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG8078 C4: Harvest of Oaths $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG8079 C5: Falls the Divide $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG8080 Darkenfold Expansion $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG8201 U1: Shadows of the Halfling Hall $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG8326 Giants Rapture $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG8336 Lost City of Gaxmoor $25.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG8336 Gaxmoor Map Pack (PDF Only $3.00)
- TLG8337 Shadows of a Green Sky $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG8341 The Long Valley $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG8344 Undercaverns of Gaxmoor $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG8345 Brindisium Adventures $5.00 (PDF $2)
C&C ACCESSORY PRODUCTS
- TLG8501 Engineering Dungeons $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG8504 Engineering Castles $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG8507 Town of Kalas $12.00 (PDF $6)
- TLG8513 Elemental Spells $8.00 (PDF $4)
- TLG8514 Arms and Armor $8.00 (PDF $4)
- TLG8516 Expanding Classes $9.00 (PDF $4)
- TLG80901 Death in the Treklant $9.00 (PDF $4)
- TLG82010 Inzae Primer $9.00 (PDF $4)
- TLG76012 Amazing Adventure RPG $25.00 (PDF $10)
- TLG76061 AA Manual of Monsters $15.00 (PDF $8)
- TLG76071 AA Companion $22.00 (PDF $9)
- TLG76022 AA Landscape Screens $15.00
- TLG7603 AA Day of the Worm $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG7605 AA CRS $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG76081 AA Rise of the Red God $5.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG76111 AA Ashton & the Augments $5.00(PDF $2)
- TLG76121 AA Book of Powers $12.00 (PDF $6)
- TLG77011 Victorious $25.00 (PDF $10)
- TLG77021 Screens $15.00
- TLG77081 Night of Jackals $8.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG77041 Phantasmagoria $8.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG77051 Manifest Destiny $8.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG77061 Rules Britannia $8.00 (PDF $2)
- TLG77071 Hunter & Hunter $8.00 (PDF $2)
CHENAULT & GRAY
- CG19402 Andanuth $15.00 (PDF $5)
- C&G CG19401 Storytellers Thesaurus $20.00 (PDF $10)
Shipping costs will be assessed during our survey, which will come from BackerKit soon after the Kickstarter closes. Please Note: We try to keep shipping costs at a minimum. While this is mainly a book oriented Kickstarter, any add-ons or extra books or merchandise (if any is offered) may cause the shipping price to rise, especially if the order is international (out of the US). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about shipping before you pledge.
Track the Players Handbook on Kicktraq!
Risks and challenges
Large books such as this one are hard to print and bind and we have to choose our printers with care.
One of the greatest challenges we face is creating such a large book and maintaining the quality of the printing and binding. In order to do this, we must find a printer with the knowledge and capabilities to execute a book of this size and have it look polished and professional, something we take great pride in. This will cost more than the usual printing so Kickstarter becomes essential in raising enough capital to give this book the quality it demands and deserves.
We are confident that with a successful Kickstarter we can bring this product to the world not only as a great resource, but also as a great looking book.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (28 days)