About this project
It is a story about the past, about community and childhood, attachment and growing up. Scottish folk tales, morally dubious parables, cloudy anecdotes and more contemporary stories of homelessness and immigration all combine to create a truly dynamic narrative.
- 1) Thank you!
- 2) The Music of Beeswing
- 3) Thank you all so much! (backers only)
- 4) Inspirations
- 5) Mac and Linux ports and more!!!!
- 6) Progress Report
- 7) The Images of Beeswing
- 8) The Exclusive Games and a New Addition!
Beeswing is a 2D RPG for Windows, Mac and Linux that is reminiscent of games like The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Illusion of Gaia, Earthbound, the Mana series and other pre-32 bit RPG games. The game will feature:
- Rich, hand-made graphics, crafted or painted.
- Hundreds of people to meet and stories to uncover.
- Good endings and better endings.
- Extended metaphors.
- Stories that may well challenge your preconceptions.
- Tree-houses, mums, baby animals, old people, love and more love, truth, lies and questions that are allowed to remain unanswered.
- "one of the most interesting (important even) freeware games of late." indiegames.com
- "as clever as it is stupid – i.e. very." Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "a game of serious thoughts, amusing bylines and symbolic throwarounds." Indie Statik
- "I came away feeling both mentally – and, as a result of something you absolutely must experience – physically enriched."Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "One of the first Great Games of 2013 everyone on this planet should play it" Porpentine
- "Brilliant, strange, philosophical treks through spacetime" PC Gamer
- "Full of portent, transcendence, the sense of being on the cusp of an inarticulable change" Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "Tryout Sluggish Morss: A Delicate Time In History just to see what games can be and where they can go with enough creativity and imagination" Indie Statik
Music is a really important part of all my games and I like to design individual sounds and music to echo the tone and nuances of the varied settings, stories and images. There is a focus on acoustic music and evolving patterns in the music of Beeswing and also with slight dissonance.
As with the music I want the art to vary in a way that best represents the tone of the different settings and stories.
For any pledges over £10 ($16) you will receive all these exclusive games as a reward!
Risks and challenges
Most of this work will be made by me, with my own hands. Moreover, the themes and story telling is of my own devising and so, with this being a somewhat personal project, the onus is on me to perform well. The greatest risk, therefore, is that if something happens to me the project will be delayed. Of course, it is in my interest more than anybody's that I do work to my best abilities and keep a clean bill of health.
Another possible risk is that I might overstep the line and become exploitative of my subject matter. This has been a concern of mine throughout my life as a practising artist and I hope to alleviate it through conversation and beta-testing at various stages with various persons.
The most exciting challenge is to tell the stories in the most expressive way, keeping close to the mood and tone of the characters and documenting a nostalgia that I feel is universal.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)